How dirty are AC mains?

Hi,

Loved the power video with Lee and Ryan.

APC and their ilk would have us believe that AC main power is dirty, and PC/laptop power supplies aren't completely up to the task of providing clean power. Is this true?

Should we be running surge protectors or filters like a Tripp Lite IsoBlock in front of a laptop?

Thanks for your time.

Bruce

Re: How dirty are AC mains?

Quote Originally Posted by brucecomo View Post
    Hi,

Loved the power video with Lee and Ryan.

APC and their ilk would have us believe that AC main power is dirty, and PC/laptop power supplies aren't completely up to the task of providing clean power. Is this true?

Should we be running surge protectors or filters like a Tripp Lite IsoBlock in front of a laptop?

Thanks for your time.

Bruce
    Welcome to the forums

The answer largely depends on where you live.

In the particular case of a laptop power supply, you don't really need a power conditioner due to how a "brick" power supply works.

Modern PSUs are pretty tolerant - I've seen the room lights flicker for a second, and the computer carries on like nothing happened. If you get proper brownouts or blackouts, yes, get a UPS. But in any area with normal electricity it's not needed as a filter, only as a backup.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Brown dust bunnies pwn

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by katewinslet View Post
    Temp wise they should all be fairly comparable. Clearance can be an issue with larger air coolers though. At least the Snipers you have do not have the tall heatsinks, but if you ever decide to change you may be limited. I personally like the Antec & Corsair closed loop coolers.
    Im thinking of going DIY water next upgrade. This Antec closed loop just doesn't cut it for this 8350. It was fine with 1065t but now this new chip gets a little toasty. I blame the waterblock on the antec and the waterflow due to very small pump. Even with dual high CFM fans its just not enough if the waterblock sucks.

I'm an Engineer for a power company. I can tell you that the "Quality" of your power probably has more to do with what your neighbors (and you) are doing than anything else. It is always a good idea to have a surge protector of some sort. I think they are low cost enough and provide enough benefit that everybody should have one. If you do have one, it is helpful to have something that will indicate if it is soaked up a surge. There are solid state devices inside and once they absorbe a surge, you now own a power strip, not a surge protector. Make sure you save any warranty documentation that comes with the surge protector. It doesn't hurt to contact your power provider and see what assurances they have if you do get a surge that damages equipment. Sometimes they will replace your damaged equipment for you.

As stated above, you probably don't need a UPS unless you are trying to ride out a lot of outages and low voltage issues. This will be really dependant on where you live and what type of power system you are on. Also, I'd agree that most modern power supplies will be sufficient to protect you from low voltage. I'd only consider it if you have very frequent outages or low voltage issues all the time.