Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SSD; Are They Use Once And Done

My Corsair H100 liquid cooling system died a few days ago. I replaced it today with a Cooler Master Seidon 240m liquid cooling system. I ended up having to take my motherboard out of the case to replace the H100, disconnecting the OCZ Vector 128 GB SSD I was using for my OS. I put everything back together and am unable to boot into Windows. I have set the Vector set as first boot again. I get as far as the Win 8 Logo then the computer shuts off. Any help would be appreciated or any ideas.

Hence my question, are ssds only able to be used once?

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: SSD; Are They Use Once And Done

No SSDs can can be formatted and reused of course. Ryan posted an article on how to kill an SSD though. The more you write to it overtime performance will descrease and eventually it will die, but it takes a looooooong time.

Your problem seems to be something is not seated properly, make sure you have everything plugged in right. ALl power connectors,etc....
    I always forget a cable or two and don't boot and then I realize it.

I only have two sata cables connected at the moment. They being my BD burner and the vector. Both are recognized in the Bios, but when I try to boot the computer shuts off. I'll recheck all my connections again, just to be sure though.

I find it odd that the PC is shutting down at the boot.. that doesn't sound like an SSD specific issue, more like a different type of hardware failure more akin to a short or something. If the SSD was bad it'd be more likely to hang at boot or throw an error back, not a total hard shutdown. How did your H100 go bad?

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I find it odd that the PC is shutting down at the boot.. that doesn't sound like an SSD specific issue, more like a different type of hardware failure more akin to a short or something. If the SSD was bad it'd be more likely to hang at boot or throw an error back, not a total hard shutdown. How did your H100 go bad?
    The two fans attacked to the radiator stopped working and core over the processor was not lite. I tried connecting to a different molex connector but it made no difference. At first, I thought it might be the PSU, but I was still able to boot into windows at the time. So I figured it was the cooling system that had failed.

Do you have any additional components to test with?

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Do you have any additional components to test with?
    No!

check in the bios and see if achi is enabled and not ide.

if that's good try booting into safe mode.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    check in the bios and see if achi is enabled and not ide.

if that's good try booting into safe mode.

ud

Achi is enabled and running. Unable to get into safe mode.
    Last edited by captkirk; 09-03-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
    Achi is enabled and running. Unable to get into safe mode.
    I had a PSU go bad that did something like that. As I messed with it trying to figure it out, I damaged my kernel and memory.

I'd say if you can't even try a boot CD- I'd start there. Then I'd make sure my Mem and HD were okay.
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Skennar View Post
    I had a PSU go bad that did something like that. As I messed with it trying to figure it out, I damaged my kernel and memory.

I'd say if you can't even try a boot CD- I'd start there. Then I'd make sure my Mem and HD were okay.
    Yea, I agree. Try running off a bootable disk into something like linux. If you can get that far its a start. From there you may be able to run some kind of burn test. If you have any linux knowlege this might be worth a shot.

Trust me, I do science

I used my windows disk to see if it would work. Nothing happened other than what I've already described. I have no Linux experience at all. How would I go about checking to see if my memory and HDD are alright?
    Last edited by captkirk; 09-03-2013 at 01:52 PM.

try this

Create a bootable linux cd or usb. If that boots then at least you know it's not the CPU. Could be your SSD mine was fairly new and died a few weeks ago. Could not boot, could not do recovery etc had to RMA the drive.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
    I used my windows disk to see if it would work. Nothing happened other than what I've already described. I have no Linux experience at all. How would I go about checking to see if my memory and HDD are alright?
    Might try this too:

Got another PSU you could try? CPU overheat is another- sure your HS-Fan seated okay?
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm up and running again. I had to go AHCI to IDE in order to boot the SSD and then followed repairs to Windows. I'm going to attempt to revert back to AHCI this weekend when I have some time.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.