Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Looking around the web I've seen a number of different reviews of the new Ivy Bridge-E architecture, but very few (if any) have shown data like Anandtech has shown in their review. Obviously they are using what I'd consider a flawed method for presenting their FPS data (single FPS numbers rather than graphing like PcPer or [H]), but it does provide a very quick and easy way to compare different architectures and performance dependencies in several different games:

    Examples (SLI Titans @ 1080P):

    Responding very well to increased core count/memory bandwith in Grid 2 (good multi-thread support)



    Single thread performance dependency in Bioshock:



    GPU limited in Tomb Raider




    I thought this was all somewhat more enlightening than direct comparisons between the SB-E and IB-E (no offense Ryan) and gave some insight into how some popular recent titles behave with respect to GPU vs single CPU thread vs multi-thread.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  2. #2
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Nothing like a review with some high end multi GPU to show the state of the CPU industry.

    8800GTX SLi is what made me sell my FX-60 for a C2D back in the day, and multi GPU is what made me replace my Phenom II 980BE with a 2500K more recently.



    This review shows how very, very cheap a 4770K is for what you get.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Nothing like a review with some high end multi GPU to show the state of the CPU industry.

    8800GTX SLi is what made me sell my FX-60 for a C2D back in the day, and multi GPU is what made me replace my Phenom II 980BE with a 2500K more recently.



    This review shows how very, very cheap a 4770K is for what you get.
    Yea, it does show how, even with $2k in GPU's you don't need more than a "mid-range" CPU to keep them happy. Even in games that show scaling with cores the differences hardly justify the increased platform cost of X79. Content creation is really the only reason to run X79, with maybe tri-sli being a minor consideration (extra pci-e lanes). Compared to the old days (Athlon X2, C2D) the cost of having one of the highest performing CPU's out there (4770k) has dropped dramatically.. an equivalent spot in the overall performance stack used to cost $500+. That said, the market has gotten a bit boring.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  4. #4
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Yea, it does show how, even with $2k in GPU's you don't need more than a "mid-range" CPU to keep them happy. Even in games that show scaling with cores the differences hardly justify the increased platform cost of X79. Content creation is really the only reason to run X79, with maybe tri-sli being a minor consideration (extra pci-e lanes). Compared to the old days (Athlon X2, C2D) the cost of having one of the highest performing CPU's out there (4770k) has dropped dramatically.. an equivalent spot in the overall performance stack used to cost $500+.[B] That said, the market has gotten a bit boring.[/B ]
    The performance of the 4670K @ $240 shipped with a tshirt looks pretty exciting to me. I can't see why anyone building a gaming box would even consider any other cpu on the planet.

    If I felt like re-building my main box I'd be all over this, but my 990X at 4GHz seems to feed my single Titan fine.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    8350 owns all. That's all I have to say.

    Oh and just recently the 4670k was on sale for $200, making it an even better buy.

  6. #6
    Joined
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,778

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Maximum PC just ran a comparison article in its last issue. 8350 vs 4670 vs 3570

    4670 kicked a$$ Claiming it as the mid range king by a margin wider then Louie Anderson
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.


  7. #7
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    Maximum PC just ran a comparison article in its last issue. 8350 vs 4670 vs 3570

    4670 kicked a$$ Claiming it as the mid range king by a margin wider then Louie Anderson
    Is this article only in the magazine? I looked at their review online and it doesn't pit the 8350 against the i7 in any benchmarks.

  8. #8
    Joined
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,778

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    not sure. It's in the October issue called Tested your burning questions answered. They compare PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0 raid ssd vs single, High end gpu vs sli mid ranfge etc.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.


  9. #9
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Is this article only in the magazine? I looked at their review online and it doesn't pit the 8350 against the i7 in any benchmarks.
    Are you looking for the wrong thing? neither of those intel parts are i7's, both are the high end i5 parts.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  10. #10
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Are you looking for the wrong thing? neither of those intel parts are i7's, both are the high end i5 parts.
    Doh, I was looking at the only review they had on their site which was for the i7-4960x. I guess the review zetachi saw was only in the magazine so far.

  11. #11
    Joined
    May 2000
    Location
    Florence, KY, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    I'm thinking about trying a big Frame Rating story with Various CPUs. Maybe a pair of titans and a single 760 each paired with 4960x, 4770k, 4670, 3xxx, fx8350, a10 something.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--


  12. #12
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm thinking about trying a big Frame Rating story with Various CPUs. Maybe a pair of titans and a single 760 each paired with 4960x, 4770k, 4670, 3xxx, fx8350, a10 something.
    Hmm, that sounds very interesting. Basically creating a Hi/Lo GPU case and running through the CPU gamut. I'm not sure I've seen something like that in a long time. This anandtech article definitely comes close but doing some of your frame rate testing would provide a much more detailed story


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  13. #13
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Ivy Bridge-E gaming results vs. other architectures under multi-GPU conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Hmm, that sounds very interesting. Basically creating a Hi/Lo GPU case and running through the CPU gamut. I'm not sure I've seen something like that in a long time. This anandtech article definitely comes close but doing some of your frame rate testing would provide a much more detailed story
    Agreed. The only way it could be better is if you can include a FX-9590.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •