Toms Hardware Blind taste test

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ng,3599-8.html

I'm not a fan of qualitative testing, but here it is FWIW.

The sad thing about it is how lopsided the non frame pacing results are, people were being screwed by CFx for a very long time.

Re: Toms Hardware Blind taste test

Didn't expect any different result tbh. after the AMD released 13.8 still an awful lot of issues with their drivers.
    Intel Core i5 2500K @5.3Ghz - 1.485v - Water cooled
    GTX680 SLI @1.306Mhz Core/7150Mhz Mem
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB @2133Mhz 9-9-9-24
    Asus p8z68-v pro
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 250GB, 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    OCZ Z Series 850W GOLD

Actually no, some of the problems with recent ATI videocards is not the drivers themselves, but with UEFI Motherboards. I noticed an odd flickering in Diablo 3 and some other games including Mass Effect 3. I went in to the UEFI Bios, I set the primary graphics display to be my addin Radeon 7850 only rather than auto detect which was also trying to boot with the igpu on the i4470 cpu enabled on my Z87 Deluxe motherboard, and no problems since. In otherwords the Intel HD4600 igpu is now disabled and will remain so. Translation some of the problems with ATI cards can be solved by a simple bios setting. I'm still using Catalyst 13.4 on my machine without any problems with my pair of 2GB Radeon 7850's, and haven't seen a need to even try any beta drivers.

Does anyone here remember the GTX 590 when that first come out, there were reports of the first driver releases for that card overheating and essentially frying the cards. Nvidia has also had bad driver releases also, so it's also not AMD having bad drivers it's a horse apiece.

I don't pay attention to benchmarks to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    Actually no, some of the problems with recent ATI videocards is not the drivers themselves, but with UEFI Motherboards. I noticed an odd flickering in Diablo 3 and some other games including Mass Effect 3. I went in to the UEFI Bios, I set the primary graphics display to be my addin Radeon 7850 only rather than auto detect which was also trying to boot with the igpu on the i4470 cpu enabled on my Z87 Deluxe motherboard, and no problems since. In otherwords the Intel HD4600 igpu is now disabled and will remain so. Translation some of the problems with ATI cards can be solved by a simple bios setting. I'm still using Catalyst 13.4 on my machine without any problems with my pair of 2GB Radeon 7850's, and haven't seen a need to even try any beta drivers.
    Do you realize you're on one of the websites that pioneered FCAT testing and showed the world how AMD Crossfire was only giving the user the experience of one video card, because the alternate frames were being rendered too quickly for the eye to see? AMDs driver problems are rooted in a. AMD have inept driver developers b. AMD ignoring review sites telling them there was a problem with them for years.

Does anyone here remember the GTX 590 when that first come out, there were reports of the first driver releases for that card overheating and essentially frying the cards. Nvidia has also had bad driver releases also, so it's also not AMD having bad drivers it's a horse apiece.
    1. No, some websites over volted the initial 590s about 30% over spec and burned them up. The parts ran fine at spec, and had no issues. Over volting protection was added to the drivers.
    2. NVIDIA has been working on the frame pacing issue for several years, and actually has a hardware plus software solution. (unlike AMD)
    3. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/31.html
    Out of eighteen titles, five did not scale, or worse, showed negative scaling. These are not small titles, but big AAA games: Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, F1 2012, StarCraft II, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft. So either AMD does not care or can't fix CrossFire support with these games millions of people play.
    That was done with 13.5 Cat drivers.

I don't pay attention to benchmarks to be honest.
    Why be bothered by facts?

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post

This was a step too far. Please keep this thread civil.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    This was a step too far. Please keep this thread civil.
    I suppose a better way to say that would have been:

"If you don't look at benchmarks, how do you form opinions of hardware? To me it would seem nothing else matters, or at best, is secondary"

I thought that story was very interesting from Toms. Validates everything's have been doing with Frame Rating. And helped me make a decision to push forward with another set of stories using it.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Do you realize you're on one of the websites that pioneered FCAT testing and showed the world how AMD Crossfire was only giving the user the experience of one video card, because the alternate frames were being rendered too quickly for the eye to see? AMDs driver problems are rooted in a. AMD have inept driver developers b. AMD ignoring review sites telling them there was a problem with them for years.

1. No, some websites over volted the initial 590s about 30% over spec and burned them up. The parts ran fine at spec, and had no issues. Over volting protection was added to the drivers.
    2. NVIDIA has been working on the frame pacing issue for several years, and actually has a hardware plus software solution. (unlike AMD)
    3. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/31.html

That was done with 13.5 Cat drivers.

When I read the thread and "Nightowl224" response I was about to lookup those exact things you replied back to him lol. Couldn't of said it any better.
    Intel Core i5 2500K @5.3Ghz - 1.485v - Water cooled
    GTX680 SLI @1.306Mhz Core/7150Mhz Mem
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB @2133Mhz 9-9-9-24
    Asus p8z68-v pro
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 250GB, 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    OCZ Z Series 850W GOLD

Yep, like my 7970 fine, but when I had two it was a mess. There's no parity at multi GPU.