ASRock 990FX Ext 4 MB owners; questions

Sorry I couldn't come up with a better title, but it would of been too long.

Situation: New build;
    ASRock 990FX Ext 4 MB,
    Will be running Win7,
    Two drives transfered over from nForce 570 MB as is,
    New SSD & 1TB HDD, neither formatted,
    All drives SATA,
    MB is set for AHCI for all ports.

Questions;
    1. Can individual SATA ports be disabled?
    2. In the UEFI interface (BIOS) under Storage, there is a external eSATA port option to enabler or disable the SATA ESP for each of the six SATA ports. What is that suppose to mean?
    3. I enabled the "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM" option, but I see no difference during boot.?
    4. Is there the ability to use a conventional old school BIOS insterad of UEFI?

Now here is the kicker;
    When I connect either to ports 7 or 8 which uses a Marvell controller, both have been able to boot into XP by themselves. I though this was impossible unless you radically modify them to do so. But when I switch either over to ports 1-6, the BIOS sees them, but both produce a BSOD as expected (until now on the other controller). How can this happen??
    When not in use, turn off the juice!

Re: ASRock 990FX Ext 4 MB owners; questions

Quote Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    Sorry I couldn't come up with a better title, but it would of been too long.

Situation: New build;
    ASRock 990FX Ext 4 MB,
    Will be running Win7,
    Two drives transfered over from nForce 570 MB as is,
    New SSD & 1TB HDD, neither formatted,
    All drives SATA,
    MB is set for AHCI for all ports.

Questions;
    1. Can individual SATA ports be disabled?
    2. In the UEFI interface (BIOS) under Storage, there is a external eSATA port option to enabler or disable the SATA ESP for each of the six SATA ports. What is that suppose to mean?
    3. I enabled the "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM" option, but I see no difference during boot.?
    4. Is there the ability to use a conventional old school BIOS insterad of UEFI?

Now here is the kicker;
    When I connect either to ports 7 or 8 which uses a Marvell controller, both have been able to boot into XP by themselves. I though this was impossible unless you radically modify them to do so. But when I switch either over to ports 1-6, the BIOS sees them, but both produce a BSOD as expected (until now on the other controller). How can this happen??
    1 - No, not to my knowledge...except for the secondary controller
    2 - no Idea...Marketing speak ?
    3 - I believe if you are already in ahci this is forced
    4 - nope, unless you want to write the bios yourself and then flash it

My guess, The Marvell controller is NOT in AHCI mode.

1 - No, not to my knowledge...except for the secondary controller
    Huge problem. I wish I knew that before hand. Six ports and they are either all on or all off.
    The Marvell controller is NOT in AHCI mode.
    As far as I know it is. But, hpow is it possible that with the new MB the drives from the old PC booted (though with a number of missing drivers)??

Quote Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    Huge problem. I wish I knew that before hand. Six ports and they are either all on or all off.
    As far as I know it is. But, hpow is it possible that with the new MB the drives from the old PC booted (though with a number of missing drivers)??
    that's a function of the 990fx chipset...

My guess the low level drivers are "close enough" for it to work

Which function, unable to isolate ports or having the ability to boot up with a HDD from another PC w/o a fresh install?

being unable to "shut off" unused ports...

They are all being driven by the chipset anyway, the power increase/decrease would be negligible

disable the SATA ESP for each of the six SATA ports. What is that suppose to mean?
    that's for hot swapping drives. the disable feature is there because from what i read, you don't want your ssd having that enabled.

i have a 790fx that xp was installed in ide mode. later i copied it to a 600g rapture and wanted to run in ahci mode. after enabling the 3rd party controller to ahci and the drivers were loaded, i was able to move it to them. if i were to move it back to the amd chipset, they must be in ide mode or the bsod.

ud

that's for hot swapping drives. the disable feature is there because from what i read, you don't want your ssd having that enabled.
    Can they all be enabled at once? Why don't you want that baility to hot swap a SSD?