Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: what was You favorite old school AMD motherboard ?

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    if You mean motherboard chipsets then You wont be having that issue as nvidia no longer makes chipsets . Shame though . AMD could use some fresh blood in the motherboard department . Love to see a new nvidia chipset for AMD I would hop right on in . Love their Vid cards as well !
    I wonder how many out their would buy a New AMD motherboard IF Nvidia came out with a brand new chipset /motherboard for AMD . I would be in anyone else ?
    What would be the point? The reason no third parties make chipsets right now is that they're just glorified I/O hubs. All the meat has been placed on die by the CPU manufacturers. And really, making chipsets doesn't make a ton of sense for a company like nV, which has to contract their fab time, when theres no major selling points for them. It was different in the nForce era because they used to integrate the memory controller (through NF2), which had huge performance implications. Now that theres no performance differentiation and AMD's volume has shrunk dramatically (since the NF3/NF4 days), there really is no incentive whatsoever for any third party chipsets...assuming AMD would license the necessary bits out to a third party in the first place

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I do miss the great days of the Nforce 2 a lot! There was so much more competition in mobos back then and the prices were way lower. Lol, I remember reading about the first Nforce board coming out back then and I was more excited about that new chipset than the new AMD cpu at the time.

ULI made some very innovative chipets. The ASRock 939 Dual motherboard let you choose an AGP or a PCIe video card. I also had a great ABIT ULI board. Then NVIDIA saw wthe great stride ULI was making and used their cash to buy ULI, kill off the chipset line and most important to me stop all driver support for existing ULI Boards.. They are not a responsible company! No business from me. VIA is a lot better.
    Last edited by PandaZ3; 09-28-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

I have to say my absolute favorite is my Abit Kt7a V.1.3 followed closely by my Msi 6167 slot A. I still have both with everything I ran in them and some. The Msi is still together in running form with a 800 Mhz proc.

don't remember my k6 board,
    but i did hated my heat machine Athylon xp 1700 + Gigabyte motherboard
    it head swollen & blown capacitors 3 times, 2 ware recoverable, third was fatal.
    i don't buy Gigabyte till this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Panta View Post
    it head swollen & blown capacitors 3 times, 2 ware recoverable, third was fatal.
    Now I recall mine was a Gigabyte GA-7DXR, it had a combination of Via and AMD chipsets, I finally got it working and had to use a better aftermarket Heatsink on the 2100 Palamino (Athlon). Mine eventually was a victim of capacitors too. I held a grudge for awhile but I built two good 754 systems with a couple of cheap Gigabyte MBs so I eventually made a AM3 machine that is working great (GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 1.0) they have a revision 3.0 out now so it has been warmed over, but I hope to build a ASUS system this time or a ASRock Extreme 9 as I believe they are a smidgen ahead in newer technology
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Panta View Post
    I know what you mean about Gigabyte. I once unfortunately had one of their infamous 7VRXP's. I HATED that board and never could get it to work right. It would always lock up in games on me and was not even reliable on the internet sometimes. It died a righteous death though when one day I came home from work to find that my custom water cooler cpu block had cracked and spilled water all over it shorting it out. The best part is it took me a few minutes to figure that out as the board wet wasn't THAT much more unstable as when it was dry!

I take it back. Apparently the 8KHA+ was the "best board I've ever owned."

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...!!!&highlight=

Shuttle AN35N, before that a Soyo KT 266a D+

MSI K7N2 Delta-L, used it with a semprom cpu and did great service.

I think the A7M266 motherboard that Asus tried to hide from Intel so they wouldn't be punished was a nice upgrade. It came is a plain white box. The Asus P5A was a nice motherboard. There were a lot of switches that had to be manually set but it was fun.

sttubs is offline Always learning something

Asus A7V600
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Nf-7s
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by python134r View Post
    Nf-7s
    I just saw mine in a complete computer in the garage, Liam Li case I think a full gig of Corsair Ram, 9200 AGP card, Mobile 2800 with the pin job, a Manta Ray ver 26 Bios, Win XP

It's cold out there...in that lonely garage....

my nf7s is in a box,along with the old soltek ,gigabyte, iwill xp,and 20 others they all still run.periodically hook them up when im bored
    asrock x370 taichi,16g gskill flarex3200 wd250mu 3wdblack 1 tera
    Asrock 990FX FX8120 8G Gskill 2133 2x WD2T 6.0 pc p+c 950w
    Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000