Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: what was You favorite old school AMD motherboard ?

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    I just saw mine in a complete computer in the garage, Liam Li case I think a full gig of Corsair Ram, 9200 AGP card, Mobile 2800 with the pin job, a Manta Ray ver 26 Bios, Win XP

It's cold out there...in that lonely garage....
    now thats no way to treat a NF7 !

humm sounds like a case of motherboard neglect !
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

This was the computer I had my Mom using till I brought her to live with me. I had her a modern ASRock FX 4170 combo at home till she forgot how to move the mouse.. Sadly at 91, she has now joined my dad back in Montana.
    I have now a host of things to do to clean all that up (Bills, taxes, and things).
    I do intend to resurrect that NF7S, got to try finding a XT-800 or 850 that I am sure I have around here and see what it can do to perk up the system.
    Maybe next month sometime.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    This was the computer I had my Mom using till I brought her to live with me. I had her a modern ASRock FX 4170 combo at home till she forgot how to move the mouse.. Sadly at 91, she has now joined my dad back in Montana.
    I have now a host of things to do to clean all that up (Bills, taxes, and things).
    I do intend to resurrect that NF7S, got to try finding a XT-800 or 850 that I am sure I have around here and see what it can do to perk up the system.
    Maybe next month sometime.
    sorry to hear that , I ment no disrespect , just trying to liven things up around here
    That NF7 is definatly a classic amoung AMD boards , maybe it could run some Linux mint or other distro ? In any case a good solid board . I miss old abit, epox , and Soltek those were the days !

I did not take it wrong, just making my excuses for being lazy. It has Win XP on it now and I am sure I can get it going but it is on the back burner set to 'simmer'.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

OMG. I had quite a few back in the day. Several stick out in my mind. ABit's NF7S. That was my first real oc'ing board. I remember a friend spazzing out on me watching me do a hotflash on it once. I told him to relax, I do this type of nonsense all the time. Ah such good times, such good memories. The other was the DFI Lanparty series of boards. I had a 939 Toledo and a watercooler solution that just absolutely screamed on that combo. Honorable mention would be the DFI Infinity RS482. Bought with the intentions of using it for a HTPC build but it turned out to be quite the oc'er so I abused it too. Ahh the good ol days indeed. Hanging out on then AMDMB (later PCPER) learning how to abuse hardware. Then abusing the hardware. Then popping up on the boards to bs about it afterwards.

Good times no doubt.
    Last edited by JeremyWills; 03-17-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

EP-8RDA+, pretty much end of story for me

Had a DFI NF2 Ultra infinity, plus a LanParty NF4 Ultra-D (if that even counts as "old school" enough) that were both pretty awesome, but just can't compare to the fun I had with my RDA+ and my 1700+, which was a great OC'er

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Asus A7V333-X with XP-2100. They ran great.

Hmm, old skool?

I just posted this from it.

A7N8X Deluxe running Win 7 for streaming music.

Specs with link below, the 2100 is a little bit OC'd...

http://s21.postimg.org/d0o991tnr/a7n8x.jpg
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

keep them coming

I never seemed to buy the right motherboard until I got an AM3 board from Biostar. Only board to break 2 years service. Over 3 years now. NF7-S went out in 2 years, everything else was toast in about a year or less. I would say that logically, it's one part the actual unit you bought (could have a mfg. defect), one part engineering. Nothing else really matters. Solid caps, gold plating, million year warranty. That's all marketing. To answer your question, I can't, all my old-school motherboards were crap unless you consider AM3 old-school.

Biostar A880G+, if I can have a new-ish board as a favorite. Been mildly overclocked all 3 years as well. Nothing special, a crappy little $55 mobo. pwns 'em all for me. lol
    Last edited by notdrugged; 05-22-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

K8V se deluxe socket 754
    Athlon 64 3200+ (2.2 gz)
    Ati radeon 4300
    2 g mushkin DDR 333mz
    boot on silicon image sata controller
    refurbished corsair force gt 60 g
    win 8

Biostar M7NCG_400. It was an mATX NF2 board ended up selling to a forum member here so long ago, It was a fantastic little board that could ..

A7V! Nothing was as good until I got the DFI NF4 Ultra-D.
    For all the hoopla over Epox, my experiences with 8k3a+ and 8RDA were less than compelling.

I also had the 8RDA+ but my favorite had to have been the DFI Infinity Ultra and then LanParty Ultra B?
    I tinkered around with a couple of others but their name escapes me right now. There was an Asus A7(N or V)8X-E Deluxe I think? Then there was the Abit NF7-S before I had the DFI's

Spoiler!

My first amd board was the Iwill BD-100 mvp with a K3 cpu (450mghz I think). As the instruction confused the various bus jumpers you had to decipher the silk screening on the board. Finally got it running then some minor overclocking

My favorite board was the above mentioned Chaintek VNF250 with I topped off at 2.5GHz, memory at 250MHz using BH-5 memory with an OCZ memory voltage booster, Memory at 3v. Board could do 2.5 with divider lowered on memory in stock config. (w moderate cpu voltage boost).

The board got me into water cooling as well. As I had good parts I transferred up to my last amd board, a Gigabyte phenom 6 or 8 core that blew up with the rest of my folding computers from a transformer failure in my neighbor hood.
    say la vie, been using laptops since.
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 06-01-2014 at 11:05 AM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)