Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

what was You favorite old school AMD motherboard ?

Kinda boring around here , so I thought I see if anyone had a old school AMD motherboard that they just loved . I remember My personal favorite of favorites a Soltek NV400 L64
    Here is a old review of the board .
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/1127
    I remember that that board just flew . stable and the fastest AMD mobo I ever owned .

Also who remembers Abit ? I am trying to remember that one abit board what was it it was a hybred amd north bridge and a VIA south bridge ? Anyone ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: what was You favorite old school AMD motherboard ?

brothergc

was it the abit kg-7...
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/abitkg7raid/

i believe i had this board, but it was the gigabyte version....the abit board was sort of expensive ,but really great board....sad abit went away like many others, the choices are not that great today..
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

out of my first 15 motherboard(via chipsets) links from that period, all but 2 are dead.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    brothergc

was it the abit kg-7...
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/abitkg7raid/

i believe i had this board, but it was the gigabyte version....the abit board was sort of expensive ,but really great board....sad abit went away like many others, the choices are not that great today..
    That Is IT !!! The KG7 raid I do believe wow that was a real nice board I even found a vidio review of the board
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=W1NT6Hbd3DU

Ahh Those old school boards LOL .. IDE drives com ports and no onboard anything . no sound , most didnt have lan cards and in those days people were fighting with the VIA KT266 chipset .

I gotta agree too bad Abit went away they made some high end boards

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    out of my first 15 motherboard(via chipsets) links from that period, all but 2 are dead.

ud
    please elaborite and share !

something definitely got lost in translation. links = bookmarks

they would have been used for support of the abit kt7a-r and the iwill kt266r plus. back in the day when there was a specific driver install order and patches to add.

ud

Not sure if it qualifies as old school but I really liked my Chaintech VNF3-250 that I had. I managed to get an Athlon 64 2800+ up to 2.7ghz on that thing with water cooling and it ran stable as hell.

it will be 10 years old next spring and chaintech were great overclockers.

i had my best oc results from the socket a 7njs.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by Insanatrix View Post
    Not sure if it qualifies as old school but I really liked my Chaintech VNF3-250 that I had. I managed to get an Athlon 64 2800+ up to 2.7ghz on that thing with water cooling and it ran stable as hell.
    sure it qualifies !

it will be 10 years old next spring and chaintech were great overclockers.

i had my best oc results from the socket a 7njs.

ud
    so You still have the board ?

My absolute favorite back in the Athlon XP days was Epox! I don't know how many Epox boards I had back then but it was a bunch. I used to buy a new one with every new chipset release. Out of all of those the 8KHA+ was the best board I ever owned. It was built like a tank and overclocked like a beast. Stable as Hell too and that was saying something with VIA chipsets.

I hate the fact that we're down to so few choices anymore with motherboards. Asus, MSI, Asrock, Biostar, and Gigabyte are really the only real players left, with Biostar barely holding on it seems. I really miss Abit, Epox, DFI, Chaintech, Soltek, and even good old Aopen. Out of the players now so far I'm most happy with Asrock's offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    My absolute favorite back in the Athlon XP days was Epox! I don't know how many Epox boards I had back then but it was a bunch. I used to buy a new one with every new chipset release. Out of all of those the 8KHA+ was the best board I ever owned. It was built like a tank and overclocked like a beast. Stable as Hell too and that was saying something with VIA chipsets.

I hate the fact that we're down to so few choices anymore with motherboards. Asus, MSI, Asrock, Biostar, and Gigabyte are really the only real players left, with Biostar barely holding on it seems. I really miss Abit, Epox, DFI, Chaintech, Soltek, and even good old Aopen. Out of the players now so far I'm most happy with Asrock's offerings.
    Yea asrock was not bad but latley IMO they have went downhill . I used to buy nothing but asrock in 2011 and 2012 but bah they have ran some crappy boards lately . Asus seems to have followed suite and all these companies have went with digital power delivery systems . Not a real fan .
    Chipset wise these days are BORING ! LOL Was a time I was buying a LOT of boards . Epox was definatly on my radar in the day . Now AMD has went to crap and Intel rules . Kinda sad as I realy like AMD .
    I had my first 1 Ghz CPU with AMD and Epox , a old epox slot 1 and a AMD 1Ghz slot one cpu . Loved that setup fast as all get out for the time , and AMD beat intel in the 1 Ghz race . Of course then the pentium 3 was out but amd was giving Intel a hard time . Miss those days !!

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    sure it qualifies !

so You still have the board ?
    yeah, i have most of the boards.

ud

yeah, i have most of the boards.

ud
    sound like you have many board care to post a list ?

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Yea asrock was not bad but latley IMO they have went downhill . I used to buy nothing but asrock in 2011 and 2012 but bah they have ran some crappy boards lately . Asus seems to have followed suite and all these companies have went with digital power delivery systems . Not a real fan .
    Chipset wise these days are BORING ! LOL Was a time I was buying a LOT of boards . Epox was definatly on my radar in the day . Now AMD has went to crap and Intel rules . Kinda sad as I realy like AMD .
    I had my first 1 Ghz CPU with AMD and Epox , a old epox slot 1 and a AMD 1Ghz slot one cpu . Loved that setup fast as all get out for the time , and AMD beat intel in the 1 Ghz race . Of course then the pentium 3 was out but amd was giving Intel a hard time . Miss those days !!
    Funny thing is I have an Asrock board that got horrible reviews from all over the internet, the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3. It's been flawless for me though. Overclocks quite nicely, is running my new DDR3 2133 ram perfectly, and is stable as can be. Yes, the physical board itself is I guess thinner than most, but I didn't buy it to saw wood!

Definitely has to be my EpoX EP-8RDA+. That was the board that got me into overclocking and got my 1700+ up to 2.4ghz (1.4 stock). There have been other motherboards that have served me very well, but that one definitely has to be my favorite. Now that I think about it, I've never had a motherboard I was unhappy with, aside from the possible exception of my ECS KT133 motherboard, which was a huge PITA but was my first ever motherboard.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present