Why Run DDR3 Memory in Dual Channel?

Hi All.

Been away for quite awhile. Haven't worked on my gaming machine for a long time (it's been sitting under a cover for well over a year). My current setup runs 3 X 4GB sticks of DDR3 memory in triple channel. Now that I'm back, I've noted that most of the latest high performance motherboards run DDR3 memory but are configured to run it in dual channel mode. Why the change in direction? I want to update my machine but I'd like to understand the reasoning behind this apparent change in preferred memory setups.

Thanks in advance for any and all help rendered.
    ------------------------------------
    ASUS Z87-Pro
    Intel 4770K
    Zotac GTX770 AMP
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB
    ASKS Xonar
    Samsung 840 Pro 500GB
    Noctua NH-D14
    HAF X
    Windows 7 HP 64 bit

Re: Why Run DDR3 Memory in Dual Channel?

Quote Originally Posted by GreyStone2 View Post
    Hi All.

Been away for quite awhile. Haven't worked on my gaming machine for a long time (it's been sitting under a cover for well over a year). My current setup runs 3 X 4GB sticks of DDR3 memory in triple channel. Now that I'm back, I've noted that most of the latest high performance motherboards run DDR3 memory but are configured to run it in dual channel mode. Why the change in direction? I want to update my machine but I'd like to understand the reasoning behind this apparent change in preferred memory setups.

Thanks in advance for any and all help rendered.
    Those are not the latest "high performance" motherboards according to Intel. Socket 1150 is their "mid-range" platform that is the true successor to the old Socket 1156 chips that were contemporary with your socket 1366 chip. The true replacement for X58/Socket 1366 is the X79/Socket 2011 chips. These have quad-channel memory, which is an upgrade from the triple channel of 1366.

That said, the reason is cost. More channels = more complexity = more cost. These days the number of things that are truly limited by memory bandwith is much smaller (especially with DDR3 2000+) and the need for triple/quad channel memory is not as large.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present