Extending the life of my PC

I'm trying to eek out a year or year and a half of use out of my computer before building new.

My current computer.

MB: Asus P5N-E SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Cooler: Stock
    RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800, in a 4x1 setup. Have 4x2 on order for $88 cheapest I could find new online.
    GPU: EVGA Geforce 9600GT
    Case: Crappy Generic Case from Ibuypower 5-6 years ago.
    PSU: 600W, Ultra LS 600W ATX PSU, Model ult-ls600p
    Storage: 300GB HDD
    Monitor: Main 1920 by 1200, 27inch Hanns-g, Secondary 1920x1080 Dell U2212HM

I am trying to upgrade it to the point where I can play Star Citzen on low to medium settings till the game launches in 2015. Its based on CryEngine 3, and probably will be as hard on systems as Crysis 3.

I'm trying to keep the budget around $300 ish total. Otherwise I could probably just build a new computer, but any money I spend now I may not have to put into a new good system later.

I'm thinking about a GTX 650 ti boost as a GPU or a AMD card at the same price point 150-160. The advantage of the Nvidia card is I could do another upgrade later to SLI. The board won't do crossfire.

For a CPU Cooler I've been looking at a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or 212 Evo, but I'm unclear if the EVO would work on my socket. Also I think I only have about 140 mm of height to work with in my case and the 212 is clearly higher. Then I get to learn how to OC.

So I'm looking for a

GPU, needs to support Direct X 11 and work in a Gen 1 PCIe x16 slot

CPU Cooler, 140 by 120 by 100 mm or smaller. On one 4 pin power connector. And would I need a better PSU if I OC my CPU?

and maybe a cheap case. Something like a Corsair 200R or cheaper. I'm ok with being a pain in the but to work in as long as cooling is not compromised. If a recommendation with a case Cooler could be bigger.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Extending the life of my PC

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Grog View Post
    I'm trying to eek out a year or year and a half of use out of my computer before building new.

My current computer.

MB: Asus P5N-E SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Cooler: Stock
    RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800, in a 4x1 setup. Have 4x2 on order for $88 cheapest I could find new online.
    GPU: EVGA Geforce 9600GT
    Case: Crappy Generic Case from Ibuypower 5-6 years ago.
    PSU: 600W, Ultra LS 600W ATX PSU, Model ult-ls600p
    Storage: 300GB HDD
    Monitor: Main 1920 by 1200, 27inch Hanns-g, Secondary 1920x1080 Dell U2212HM

I am trying to upgrade it to the point where I can play Star Citzen on low to medium settings till the game launches in 2015. Its based on CryEngine 3, and probably will be as hard on systems as Crysis 3.

I'm trying to keep the budget around $300 ish total. Otherwise I could probably just build a new computer, but any money I spend now I may not have to put into a new good system later.

I'm thinking about a GTX 650 ti boost as a GPU or a AMD card at the same price point 150-160. The advantage of the Nvidia card is I could do another upgrade later to SLI. The board won't do crossfire.

For a CPU Cooler I've been looking at a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or 212 Evo, but I'm unclear if the EVO would work on my socket. Also I think I only have about 140 mm of height to work with in my case and the 212 is clearly higher. Then I get to learn how to OC.

So I'm looking for a

GPU, needs to support Direct X 11 and work in a Gen 1 PCIe x16 slot

CPU Cooler, 140 by 120 by 100 mm or smaller. On one 4 pin power connector. And would I need a better PSU if I OC my CPU?

and maybe a cheap case. Something like a Corsair 200R or cheaper. I'm ok with being a pain in the but to work in as long as cooling is not compromised. If a recommendation with a case Cooler could be bigger.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to the forums.

To summarize, you have $300.00 to work with.

You wish to have a new CPU cooler, case, video card, and PSU ?

What would you be willing to sacrifice to meet your price point ?
    I wouldn't sacrifice the PSU, as you are intending to OC your processor;
    and that particular PSU isn't that great to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

To summarize, you have $300.00 to work with.

You wish to have a new CPU cooler, case, video card, and PSU ?

What would you be willing to sacrifice to meet your price point ?
    I wouldn't sacrifice the PSU, as you are intending to OC your processor;
    and that particular PSU isn't that great to begin with.
    If I need the PSU to make the build work, then I would sacrifice price. Would go to $350-375.

I don't need the video card to be great. Just a 10% or more bump in performance from my 9600GT and direct X 11 would work for me.

I'm not going to go crazy OCing either. Just squeeze some more juice while keeping temps reasonable and system very stable.

Thanks for the reply.

Been reading the news and reviews here for a while, just started looking at the forums recently.

If you are not going for a max oc, buy a good cooler that accomodates your case and save the case money.
    get a quality supply on sale possibly with rebate if you actully intend to oc.
    Maybe add a case fan if it would help cooling. Maybe chipset cooling too.