Thread: Your opinion

Question Your opinion

There is a device: the Audioengine D1 DAC-Plus-Headphone-Amp, connected by USB cable to your device, mobile devices particularly. The question: Is this necessary for the best sound if you can install a superior sound card in you desktop? I suspect the external DACs were created for mobile devices, but the question is whether they are superior 24-bit sound to the best internal soundcards?

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Eric Idle

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us -- Cats look down on us - Only pigs treat us as equals." Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Drawde5 View Post
    There is a device: the Audioengine D1 DAC-Plus-Headphone-Amp, connected by USB cable to your device, mobile devices particularly. The question: Is this necessary for the best sound if you can install a superior sound card in you desktop? I suspect the external DACs were created for mobile devices, but the question is whether they are superior 24-bit sound to the best internal soundcards?

Thoughts? Thanks!
    I think many of these external DAC/Amp devices were created to drive high impedance headphones at your desktop and to put the DAC outside of the case, free from interference. I think the vast majority of people who aren't happy with their onboard audio would be satisfied with a normal high-end sound card... for the rest of that already minority group, there are things like this with specific DACs so they can customize their sound.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: Your opinion

Okay! Kinda what I felt the issue might be. I was thinking about the quality of a speaker upgrade, and where to start whether with a sound card and speakers, or just the speakers. Realtek's HD dac software is amazing to my ears, so I feel safe with starting with the speakers. Thank you, O-Dog.
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Eric Idle

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us -- Cats look down on us - Only pigs treat us as equals." Sir Winston Churchill