Catalyst 13.10 Beta Frame Pacing Eyefinity Effects

Ok since frame pacing is supposed to work on single resolutions up to 2560x1600(4.096 megapixels) I was wondering if frame pacing would work on Eyefinity resolutions that had an equal or lower overall megapixel amount. Hoping this would open up some custom Eyefinity resolutions to play with and still have frame pacing. So here's the results. Crysis 3 is the game, these are manual run through from the beginning of the level Safeties Off, until you reach the downed chopper with the intel. I spin around twice at the beginning to load art assets, modify my gun then set off into the level usually right after Psycho finishes speaking. Settings are maxed out except for motion blur being turned off. System config is in my sig. Center monitor is connected via displayport.

1920x1200 Frame Pacing On

1920x1200 Frame Pacing Off

Frame pacing looks like it's working as it should giving a clear advantage to the smoothness of having it enabled

3324x768 Frame Pacing On

3324x768 Frame Pacing Off

Here we see the results going the other way, with Frame Pacing Off having the better average, max, and low percentile frame times.

4032x800 Frame Pacing On

4032x800 Frame Pacing Off

Frame pacing has better average, max, and low percentile frame times than running with it off at this res

4032x1024 Frame Pacing On

4032x1024 Frame Pacing Off

Looks like a little more advantage to frame pacing here than at the 800 res but again it's not much. Better average, max, and low percentile frame times that having frame pacing turned off.

5292x1050 Frame Pacing On

5292x1050 Frame Pacing Off

this one has very slightly better average frame time for the frame pacing turned on but also slightly worse max and low percentile frame times

Well there we go just wanted to satisfy my own curiosity more than anything else. The performance of the game has come a long way since my first play through on this config. All the results here are probably within some margin of error introduced by the run through being manually done. I'm going to leave the frame pacing turned on based on these results. It may not be doing anything positive but it doesn't appear to be doing anything negative either. Hopefully AMD will get it working well for Eyefinity, OpenGL, and DX9 games before too long. That being said it's my opinion that at least the performance has gotten to the point where I can play the game in Eyefinity mode now without having a slide show. The first time I played through the highest Eyefinity resolution I could even attempt to play at was 2400x600. At that resolution it still wasn't smooth, and it looked like crap. So I'm glad to have more options now.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | Intel Core I7 920@3.6Ghz | 12GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK | Intel X-25MG1 80GB, 5 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black, 2 TB WD Caviar Black | XFX 5870 Stock | BenQ 2400WD DVI, Lenovo ThinkVision 2440X DisplayPort, Samsung 2433BW DVI

Re: Catalyst 13.10 Beta Frame Pacing Eyefinity Effects

Interesting results. Did you check out my most recent Frame Rating story on this?

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...Configurations
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--