Battlefield 4 + Frostbite + Mantle

Hello guys,

As some of you may know we held our press briefing event in Hawaii this week. Lot's of new information was shared during the live stream (i.e. our new R9 and R7 series, our TrueAudio Tech), as well as a presentation by Johan Andersson (Technical Director at Frostbite) on the new Mantle API and Battlefiled 4

Here is the link to his powerpoint presentation: http://www.frostbite.com/connect/#ba...ostbite-mantle

Should provide you more insight into the tech and what's ahead...
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

Re: Battlefield 4 + Frostbite + Mantle

Can't wait to see how this pans out, hopefully for the better. Me and my 7970 Crossfire setup are eagerly awaiting!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Can't wait to see how this pans out, hopefully for the better. Me and my 7970 Crossfire setup are eagerly awaiting!
    mantle sounds interesting. with developers pushing for low level control like this and with things like steam machines coming might we finally see the death of direct x? i hope so.

i haven't used amd since i last had a 9700 pro. will have to give amd alot of thought next time im looking to upgrade my gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    mantle sounds interesting. with developers pushing for low level control like this and with things like steam machines coming might we finally see the death of direct x? i hope so.
    Why do you want to see the death of direct x? Do you also want to see the death of e.g. nVidia or any other competition that doesn't support mantle? Mantle is basically a backward step even if it does allow console and PC gaming to coexist more easily (and bring a speed advantage to AMD GPU users).

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    Why do you want to see the death of direct x? Do you also want to see the death of e.g. nVidia or any other competition that doesn't support mantle? Mantle is basically a backward step even if it does allow console and PC gaming to coexist more easily (and bring a speed advantage to AMD GPU users).
    I don't think modru is wishing for the death of a high level abstraction platform so much as the death of DX in particular. OpenGL or an open source alternative would be nice to allow greater portability between platforms. With the dominance of OGL in the mobile space, I think Direct X's future is a little less bright than we all might have thought a couple years ago. That doesn't upset me.

As far as Mantle being a step backwards.... maybe for nVidia, but I don't really seen any major downsides right now. Its too early to worry about it fragmenting the PC market and there are far more than enough non-GCN cards from both AMD and nV to ensure that PC ports will still come in DX flavors

Trust me, I do science

Could "mantle" or it's equivalent just be what programmers have to use to program for the consoles...And then wish to use to port to pc ?

Yup, i just want to see direct x in particular go. Options are a good thing and with valve announcing steam machines, which use SteamOS based on linux (opengl) and this mantle announcement we might finally be moving past direct x.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Could "mantle" or it's equivalent just be what programmers have to use to program for the consoles...And then wish to use to port to pc ?
    I don't think so. DX is, as far as I know, one of the API's in use on the Xbox (hence the X...) and I imagine this will be true for the XBone as well. Devs will probably have the option to use EITHER direct X OR Mantle on Xbox. PS3 supported OGL and a proprietary low level API (likely written in part by nVidia). We both know level coding support has always been crucial for consoles, and certainly existed in the last generation. Programmers used some pretty neat low-level programming to get around the limitations in older consoles (Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine on N64 comes to mind). That said, all of that stuff is optional and low-level API's are nothing new... the new "breakthrough" here is that, for the first time, both major consoles (sorry Nintendo) are utilizing the same GPU architecture, one that is pretty much identical to a current high-end PC architecture in GCN. That means that its feasible for the low-level API to be used on all 3 major gaming platforms, rather than just on platform exclusives.

TL;DR: Mantle will almost certainly NOT be mandatory on consoles, but due to its strong likelihood for uptake on the consoles will have a big running start on making it to the PC

Trust me, I do science

I wish i could get a hold of a 290x to compare to my 780 I just bought :/ I wonder what other game engines will adopt mantle as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I don't think modru is wishing for the death of a high level abstraction platform so much as the death of DX in particular. OpenGL or an open source alternative would be nice to allow greater portability between platforms. With the dominance of OGL in the mobile space, I think Direct X's future is a little less bright than we all might have thought a couple years ago. That doesn't upset me.
    I doubt DX is going anywhere soon and the dominance of OGL in the mobile space is probably not everlasting either. What I see is Windows entering mobile devices more and more (even though Android is still dominating) and at some point you can have the exact same OS on your mobile device as you have on your desktop system (which would mean DX on the mobile devices as well). Android is dominating on the mobile front at the moment, but it (and Linux) are still way behind on the desktop front, so I am not so certain about the future either way (Windows vs Linux/Android).

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    I doubt DX is going anywhere soon and the dominance of OGL in the mobile space is probably not everlasting either. What I see is Windows entering mobile devices more and more (even though Android is still dominating) and at some point you can have the exact same OS on your mobile device as you have on your desktop system (which would mean DX on the mobile devices as well). Android is dominating on the mobile front at the moment, but it (and Linux) are still way behind on the desktop front, so I am not so certain about the future either way (Windows vs Linux/Android).
    I don't see DX making real inroads into mobile in a meaningful way in the next couple years. All of MS's mobile attempt could be politely called "underwhelming" and more realistically be called "total flops". Considering something like 80+% of the smartphone market runs on *nix-like OSes, MS has a real uphill battle to put DX in a position to take OGL down a peg. All of that isn't to say that DX is going anywhere, my point is merely that alternatives have gained a lot of ground in ways that were less foreseeable a few years ago. The explosion of the smartphone market is a big driving factor. Obviously on PC DX is still the API of choice, but coding in new API's isn't quite as unthinkable as it was after DX took control in the post GLIDE era

Trust me, I do science