Need some advice, running games at 2560X1440.

Hello everyone!,

Iíve been playing games for many years, with a pair of EVGA GTX 580 SC 1,5 GB. I slowly start to feel and notice that it isnít enough with certain games, as I sometimes run out of video ram. So my solution regarding my issue is to get a pair of MSI GTX 770 4GB Gaming.

Iíve done a lot of research on more than five different websites, but I havenít really found sufficient information. My question is, is it necessary to have more than 2GB of video ram since I run my games on 2560X1440?

Re: Need some advice, running games at 2560X1440.

Welcome to the forums.

At present I'm running a "lowly" GTX560Ti w 1 gig of memory, on a 1440P panel.

If I feel a game is "chugging" I just turn down the "eye candy" until it's playable.

What driver version are you currently at ?

what games are you having trouble with ?

Rather than going SLI (which certainly is the better option compared to CF) I'd still recommend a single card solution. Titan is so far overpriced I wouldn't recommend it (if money matters at all), but a single GTX 780 should do you well (and would double your video memory to 3GB, which is still plenty) and although that too is expensive, it is cheaper than the SLI solution you originally were thinking about. The simple (and economically sounder) solution for you might be to go for a single GTX770 (or even a HD7970) before jumping on the SLI bandwagon.

If you can live with your setup at the moment, perhaps you should wait jumping the gun on your purchase until the AMD Radeon R9 290X is released - if only for the price drop it will likely bring throughout the nVidia line (supposedly the card will have a definite advantage over even Titan in BF4 if that game is on your list and the early specs indicate the card will have 4GB of video memory).

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

At present I'm running a "lowly" GTX560Ti w 1 gig of memory, on a 1440P panel.

If I feel a game is "chugging" I just turn down the "eye candy" until it's playable.

What driver version are you currently at ?

what games are you having trouble with ?
    The thing is, I really love all the "Eye Candy" in games.

Right, I currently have the latest Nvidia driver, which is 327.23. And these are the games I am playing: Crysis 3, Hitman absolution, Tomb raider: Reboot and many other titles.

Ow, it might be handy to type down my system configuration.

Core i5 2500K@4,8Ghz.
    Asus P8P67 Pro (Rev.3.1)
    G.Skill Ripjaw 1600Mhz 8GB
    2x Crucial M4 128GB Raid 0

The thing is, I really love all the "Eye Candy" in games.

Right, I currently have the latest Nvidia driver, which is 327.23. And these are the games I am playing: Crysis 3, Hitman absolution, Tomb raider: Reboot and many other titles.

Ow, it might be handy to type down my system configuration.

Core i5 2500K@4,8Ghz.
    Asus P8P67 Pro (Rev.3.1)
    G.Skill Ripjaw 1600Mhz 8GB
    2x Crucial M4 128GB Raid 0

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-7...vs-2gb-tested/

2GB vs 4GB shouldn't matter at your res unless you're trying to run high (8X MSAA and up) AA. So, I'd say 2-3 GB is your sweet spot.

I would also agree that going with a higher cost single GPU card is better than jumping into SLI/CrossFire right away.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

I want to thank everyone, thanks for the great advice!

I came to a conclusion, I will be getting two MSI GTX 770 4GB Gaming.

The 4770k only has what, 32 lanes PCIe? You're going to be bottled.