Exclamation “Secret” 3G Intel Chip Gives Snoops Backdoor PC Access

vPro processors allow remote access even when computer is turned off
    http://www.infowars.com/91497

“Intel actually embedded the 3G radio chip in order to enable its Anti Theft 3.0 technology. And since that technology is found on every Core i3/i5/i7 CPU after Sandy Bridge, that means a lot of CPUs, not just new vPro, might have a secret 3G connection nobody knew about until now,”reports Softpedia.

Jeff Marek, director of business client engineering for Intel, acknowledged that the company’s Sandy Bridge” microprocessor, which was released in 2011, had “the ability to remotely kill and restore a lost or stolen PC via 3G.”

(read the whole article) ...

So .... Why did I post this ??? A buddy of mine on FB this past week not only had his computer off, but some how while he was at work, something activated it, snooped his computer, wiped clean his entire HDD and put the computer back to the day he bought it (original restore point) .... AND ... his external USB connected 1Tb drive whipped totally clean. He has placed numerous calls to his computer manufacture tech support and near the end found out that this remote activity was done to his machine ... BUT they targeted the wrong owner and user being him.

WTF. Not only can they (anyone who has the access or manufacture or gov.) snoop on your machine, but they can awaken it from being powered down and then do with it as they please via a remote cell tower connection. So, forget your normal network connection and firewall.

Is it only INTEL, or is AMD and others doing the same ???? Is this doable with only Windows and Apple OS or is LINIX/UNIX affect too?

I'm not the smartest computer geek on the block, tried LINUX once and just couldn't keep up with it with the simple version of UBUNTU.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

Re: “Secret” 3G Intel Chip Gives Snoops Backdoor PC Access

OK, I had to scout the web to some depth to even find info about the AMD version.

Oddly, it does the SAME thing, but to some extent, less than Intel. It does the the stuff like Intel even with the Desktop or laptop TURNED OFF. ! ! !

As for FB, that person was a class mate of mine back in school.

--- clip in ---
    http://searchvirtualdesktop.techtarg...hy-competition

The same is true for AMD. The company has created the AMD Virtualization brand -- abbreviated to "AMD-V" -- which it liberally applies to many different technologies in its chips and various server and client products.

For desktop virtualization, one of the most relevant features is AMD's implementation of DASH. The Desktop and Mobile Architecture for System Hardware is an open standard created by the Desktop Management Task Force (DMTF) that allows management systems to remotely access, control and manage low-level hardware items on desktop and laptop clients. This includes things like USB and media redirection, remote BIOS management, and remote keyboard, video and mouse control.

The capabilities of DASH are similar to those of vPro, and in fact both chipmakers provide plug-ins for management software such as Microsoft's System Center or Symantec's Altiris Client Management Suite. The main difference between DASH and vPro is that DASH is an open standard while vPro is a proprietary Intel technology.

DASH is great for desktop virtualization because it allows admins to remotely update, manage and fix client devices even if the guest operating system isn't functioning or the client machine is powered off. Combining DASH with a client-based virtualization solution like a client hypervisor or client virtual machine (VM) makes for a pretty powerful combination, and it's good to know that such capabilities are available from companies other than Intel. Even if your organization is 100% committed to Intel, the mere fact that AMD and DASH provide some competition is a very good thing.

--- clip out ---

The pump maverick

The more I had dug into this Vpro and AMD-V, the history goes all the way back to Bill Clinton and Al Gore requiring TV's with something called the V-Chip directive. This technology actually grew into what we have today in computers. Go figure.

The pump maverick

Gee, as a stock owner I'd be worried as Intel is likely infringing quite a few 3G patents with that tech. I wonder how were they able to integrate an antenna on the chip also? Also have to wonder why Intel isn't really cutting it in the mobile phone sector, although they have this amazing zero powered 3G tech. Man, Intel is way ahead of the other telecom companies with its tech. Luckily, I have access to a serious supply of tinfoil hats.... ????

Sigh. I miss the "Jethro vs. Poci" debates here. This place is back to it's usual ghost town state now.