Question CPU opinion if you would please.

Thanks for reading my first post btw.

I'm currently on an AM3+ board, I cannot afford to move to another part in the near future. I might jump back to Intel at Cannonlake / Skymount or whatever they intend to call it; but for now I will stay on the one I have got.

My current CPU is the fx6300. Using overdrive I have got it to 4.5 but I didn't leave it there for very long. On the other hand I have come to accept that I have a better chance of having an intellectual conversation with big foot in the middle of time square before AMD will make a steamroller for AM3+.

So my request is this: Which option makes more sense to you?
    Fx6300 overclocked to 4.0, and turbo'd (?) to 4.3 or
    FX8320 stock clock-speed but turbo OC'd to 4.3?

The first is cheaper for sure (since I already got it), but I'm afraid that if I wait too long to get the 8320 I might not be able to find one..

p.s. I know 6300 OC'd would be faster now, but do you guys think that 8 cores will matter in two years? It would need to last till 2016ish after all, but core count hasn't moved as fast as AMD wanted.

Thanks again those who reply.

Re: CPU opinion if you would please.

Hello Anoobis32,

I haven't overclocked any of my PC in the past; that being said, and seeing you are planning to avoid upgrading till 2016ish, going the FX8320 route will be the way to go in my opinion since it features 8 cores. Having these should help running the latest games that benefit from multithread processing (or 3D graphic programs, life Photoshop).
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

just to clarify: you have the FX6300 and are wondering if the upgrade to the 8320 would be worth it? IMO, I don't know if it makes sense to drop some money into the system just to future proof it right now if you're happy with performance right now. I'd say hold on to your 6300 until its not doing the job anymore

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Do you have an aftermarket cooler on the FX 6300? I have the same CPU and have a Hyper 212 + cooler and I can maintain a stable 4.4Ghz overclock without adjusting the voltage. I run it this way every day. It can handle it as long as you have it properly cooled. I would say get an aftermarket cooler (if you don't have one already) and overclock your FX 6300 to 4.3 or even 4.4 and you will be good for a couple years. This will save you money for your next build.

Activate AMD I took your advice to heart, I really cant complain about it now but I have gone to 3.8 and turbo to 4.3 and its so fast now I don't think I will need to upgrade after all.

Also Spykezxp I have a V6GT and I have managed 4.5 with AMD overdrive but I haven't left it there for long, but yes I have made it that far.

So yeah thanks for the advice everyone.