Thumbs down Microsoft Activation - What they are doing is not right punishing people who pay

This is so wrong, I wish more people would be united on these issues.

I have an OEM copy of XP I bought at a PC store near my house about 5 or 6 years ago.
    This copy has always been installed on this computer. Today I get a popup saying my copy is not activated almost two years later. This is not a virus because I don't open files from the net and It never goes on line other than though a Virtual machine.
    Anyway, my IT guy informed me that this happens sometimes when you change too much hardware. I do swap out my Internal SATA drives almost daily to preform backups. I have the right to do that don't I? It's my darn computer!
    This morning I was looking for my resume on my USB drives and I had plugged in 3 different USB drives when all the sudden my mouse started acting funny and then the activation pop up happened. Apparently Windows sees adding USB drives as excessive hardware changes because the controllers are detected as new hardware because they are often different drives. This is a broken idea on their part.
    I called Microsoft and they told me that their activation is designed to detect excessive changes in hardware. What? Who are they to tell me what excessive is? I read my product key to the support rep and he told me to go to support.Microsoft.com to resolve my issue. Maybe he didn't want to deal with me because I had told him I'm done using their software. When I clicked connect to go online and RE activate, it said you have successfully activated. However, although I don't see the prompt in windows anymore, I still see it during the windows login screen at the bottom right. This is ridiculous. I have to go though this hassle after paying for a product. screw them.

This is unacceptable and until people get some melons and stop supporting these greedy bastards corporations will continue to punish the honest people who pay. The mouse issue that their activation system screws up intentionally caused me to drop files into incorrect folders because objects were being selected even after I let go of the mouse. I've seen this behavior on customer computers who had activation issues. (This is by design so that you have to call MS up). Had I been in the middle of of a critical job with a client it could have cost me serious $$$. Hackers don't deal with this, why should an honest paying consumer go though this. Like I had time to sit on the phone and answer 50 prompts. This is BS.
    I only use widows for games now, I'm slowly moving towards Linux but it still lacks the game market compared to windows. Though services like steam are slowly bringing PC games to Linux.

I guess there's not much I alone can do about how they choose to conduct their business, Never the less I'm more disappointed by the ignorant people who don't see the alternatives. I see them failing in the future and I hope they do along with the corporatism practices and political lobbying they participate in. Why do I have to go though this? Doesn't matter if I have a business to run and can't stop to fix petty issues like this. When are people going to wake up. STOP SUPPORTING THIS GREEDY MAGGOTS.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 11-08-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Re: Microsoft Activation - What they are doing is not right punishihng people who pay

Issue Fixed. I called them back and they gave me a new activation code.
    But I'm still pissed off. I still have SATA drives to pull in and out for backups, including USB drives which apparently windows sees as new hardware if the drives are different. STUPID, no other word for it. Along with the dummies like me who continue to buy their products.

Should I expect this to happen again since I now know that their activation freaks out when you pull drives in and out too often. USB externals also. That's what triggered it for me.
    I hope windows 8 doesn't behave like this. I'll live without games and stop using windows all together.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 11-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.