What network equipment do I need?

I'm fairly good with computers but when it comes to networking, I'm not so hot. Consumer network devices are very dummy friendly which has helped me avoid understanding things.

I've just moved into new shared accommodation place which has broadband via WiFi (it may have network ports but let's ignore them for now). What I would like to do, is have a "network device" that I can put into my own room that connects to the shared WiFi. It will then allow me to setup my own local network for the devices in my room (i.e. on a separate WiFi network and via ethernet ports).

My goal is for my devices to be able to connect to the Internet but are on a private network so they are not accessible by anyone else who are connected to the shared WiFi.

What kind of "network device" do I need to do this? I've already got a Netgear DG834 ADSL2+ modem router which I'm hoping could be used to do this.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? TIA

Re: What network equipment do I need?

I think you are asking for something to make a "wireless bridge"

There are dedicated devices that would do this, your existing modem/router combo unit may also do this.
    Look in the manual for bridge mode.

Re: What network equipment do I need?

A Wireless Bridge is always connected...

Most computer's let you share a adapter wired/wireless... You could use this to turn on/off your internet for your other devices.

Bruce :-)