RAM setting help

Hey guys, I just bought the Gigabyte GA 990FXA UD3 motherboard and can't get my RAM to run at it's rated speed.
    I'm running Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 PC 12800. 16gb's (4X4).
    I tried setting the multiplier in the BIOS to 800 and it won't boot into windows. I keep getting an error that says the multiplier is incorrect and redirects me back to the BIOS. The RAM is supposed to run on 1.5 volts. The BIOS reports 1.488 volts. Could this be a problem?
    Do I need to enable XMP?
    Any ideas what I'm missing?

Windows 7 pro
    Phenom II X4 965
    XFX HD5770
    Corsair 650 watt PSU
    Pete

Re: RAM setting help

XMP is for Intel motherboards I can tell you that much, so I have no idea of the XMP timings will work on an AMD motherboard or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    XMP is for Intel motherboards I can tell you that much, so I have no idea of the XMP timings will work on an AMD motherboard or not.

Thanks Nightowl224. I'll try it and let you know
    Pete

i'd try bumping the cpu voltage a little. since your running 4 sticks, you may need a little more voltage with the memory controller on the cpu.

do that and save. then re-enter the bios and set the memory speed.

ud

Thanks for the replys guys. The memory controller built into the processor will only allow 1333mhz and not 1600 however,
    here's what I found... in the BIOS I enabled XMP, selected Profile 1 and changed the multiplier to 8.00.
    Memory is now running at 1600mhz without any voltage bumps or overclocking the processor!
    I hope this helps others too.
    Pete

ud

Good the memory is working for you. What I did to fix a lot of gaming issues on my Z87 Deluxe motherboard was to go in to the UEFI Bios, then to the Advanced Settings, then to the AI Overclock Settings, and then I turned on XMP mode there for my ram which is Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333 ram even though I don't overclock, and this in turn, turned on PCI Express 3.0 mode for the two Primary PCI Express X16 slots. This made a huge difference in gaming for me. I too didn't have to overclock my cpu to do this, as my cpu is fast enough for gaming.