Help. Need new fans for my radiator.

Hi,

I have a Corsair H80i and I want to get rid of the stock fans on them for reasons that are not important (I just don't like them). I'm planning to replace them with two Noctua NF-F12 PWMs in a push/pull configuration; however, I've been doing some research and fail to see the benefit of having a high/static pressure fan in the pull part of the configuration. A static pressure fan is to prevent any air from bouncing back from the radiator and out through the spacing between the fan blades.

Now that being said; would it not be better to have one Noctua NF-F12 PWM to push the air through the radiator and an airflow fan like the Noctua NF-S12A FLX to pull the air from the radiator? Also, would using a pressure fan to push air really needed? Could you just use and airflow fan to just pull air?

I would appreciate anyone's insight; especially if you have lots of experience testing out these types of configuration. Thanks in advance

Re: Help. Need new fans for my radiator.

Ideally you need high static pressure fans on pull and push.

The pressure difference across the radiator is what draws the air through the restrictions of the radiator fins. The restriction prevents air flow, so high air flow fans are not effective.
    Ivybridge 3770K@4500MHz
    Asus P8Z77V Pro
    2 x 4Gb Geil 2400MHz
    Asus BTX 560Ti Direct CU II @ 900MHz
    Samsung 1TB Drive
    LiteOn Bluray Writer
    Windows 7 32 bit
    Ek Supreme HF cooler
    OCZ 1000W

In using two of those Noctua fans on my h100i and it's been running great. It's much more silent than what it used to be with corsairs stock fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wih'Glah View Post
    Ideally you need high static pressure fans on pull and push.

The pressure difference across the radiator is what draws the air through the restrictions of the radiator fins. The restriction prevents air flow, so high air flow fans are not effective.
    This. High static pressure fans are the way to go and you'd want to look into getting fans with above 2.0 mm H20 static pressure or higher if you can find it, however these can be quite hard to find and fan manufacturer's tend to greatly exaggerate the static pressure actually output by the fans. Similar to high airflow fans, the more static pressure the louder the fans tend to be, although compromises can be made.

A few suggestions based on personal experience are the following 4 fans:
    - Corsair SP 120 High Performance (For pure performance)
    - Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition (Very quiet but very good static pressure for the RPM levels and noise. Not necessarily ideal for performance)
    - Gelid Wing 12 PWM (These are the fans in my current build, and have excellent static pressure. They get a bit loud when they are closer to 100% fan speed but they are dead quiet at lower RPMs and perform fantastic.)
    - Scythe Gentle Typhoons (At Overclock.net, these were a radiator fan standard for a long time. I used them for a few years before trying out the fans above and they were fantastic while I had them. They are sitting in an old rig right now)

There is also a lot of talk about Yate Loon fans, but having never owned them I can't speak for them but I hear lots of people on the net are very satisfied with them. Maybe try a quick Google search?