Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to build a good gaming PC

This PC is completely for gaming. I want to be able to run everything out with no problems, but not spend money for stuff that won't really improve performance much, like spending $50 more for a CPU that isn't going to make much difference. I haven't built a PC in awhile and just wanted some input. Also, if i can i want my PC to be blue the LEDs at least.

Cooler Master HAF X Blue or Cooler Master HAF 932 (I have always liked Cooler Master but if something has just as good airflow let me know.)
    Intel i7-4820K(I want a Intel, but I don't know if the 6-core is worth right now.)
    Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
    Artic Silver 5
    eVGA X79 Dark or eVGA X79 Classified(I like eVGA, but if there are others that are better now let me know.)
    Corsair Dominator 16GB 1866Mhz (I really have no preference with memory they seem to be all the same I just always liked cosair.
    Just gonna get any Blu-Ray Drive with highest read speed.
    Was looking at the eVGA GTX 770 but not sure if i should get better. I want to be able to play games on high settings but everything doesn't have to be maxed really. I will however have 2-3 monitors i haven't decided yet but only 1 i will use to play games. And i do want a Nvidia and prefer eVGA.
    Sound Blaster ZxR are sound cards really even worth getting anymore?
    Intel 530 240 GB SSD From what i have heard Intel was the best for SSD not sure if it is still the same.
    Any 1TB +HD

Please, let me know your thoughts. If you think anything is to much or not enough. I am going to start researching this more myself also i just wanted to get some input.
    Last edited by Waterloo9; 12-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Re: Looking to build a good gaming PC

What would your overall budget be ?

Is there anything else besides gaming you plan on doing with this rig ?

X79 with that processor is overkill for gaming.

Edit: Have you looked at the leaderboard ?
    http://www.pcper.com/hwlb
    Last edited by mmettin; 12-03-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Budget would be around $1500 give or take a little bit if its worth.

Umm, i do other things but primary focus is gaming.

Ok, and what would you recommend?

Yes, i have looked at it however, a lot of the time it seems like it doesn't change even though prices do.

Also, was looking at pretty much any corsair 750w PSU forgot to list that.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterloo9 View Post
    Budget would be around $1500 give or take a little bit if its worth.

Umm, i do other things but primary focus is gaming.

Ok, and what would you recommend?

Yes, i have looked at it however, a lot of the time it seems like it doesn't change even though prices do.

Also, was looking at pretty much any corsair 750w PSU forgot to list that.
    Specifically what other things ?

Photoshop ? Rendering video ? Transcoding ?

What resolution monitor do you have/are you looking for?

I'll see if I can put together a list.
    Would you need a mouse ? keyboard ? Monitor ? OS included in the price ?

Edit: How close are you to a Microcenter ?
    Last edited by mmettin; 12-03-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Some video rendering and maybe streaming if i got back into it again. But like i said neither of those are my worry, im focused on 60fps on whatever im playing.

1080p monitors is all i will get i think.

I have all of those currently, i will upgrade but that stuff will be separate even windows.

Not really to close but if worth the money i could drive to it. Around a hour away.

Also, i looked at the X79 dark and i must have got the wrong name because i definately don't need a $400 mobo.

I wouldn't even bother with the Socket 2011 platform. Save yourself a few bucks and choose a Socket 1150 z87 board with a 4770k instead of the X79 + 4820k. You'll never notice the difference in games.

I have an Asus Maximus VI Hero, which is a nice little board for ~$200 or less. If you want to spend more you can definitely add in lots of features, but its mostly fluff. I think its hard to go wrong with any of the Asus boards.

I wouldn't get the 770 right now, its not the best bang for the buck. The AMD R9 290 and 290X are fantastic performers for the money. nvidia's value just isn't as great right now since AMD upset their pricing apple cart a bit. If you're dead set on an nVidia I'd take the money I saved by going from skt2011->skt1150 and re-invest it into the GPU in the form of a GTX 780. A bigger/badder GPU will benefit you far more than the CPU. EVGA is a good manufacturer so I would agree that would be a good choice.

I would also skip the sound card at this time. Try the onboard and see if you're happy with it, they've gotten much better. If it doesn't meet your needs you can always add one in later. I haven't heard the best things about any Creative sound card out there right now, but I can't speak from direct experience since I use onboard now.

If you're buying thermal paste new, get Gelid OC Extreme or Noctua paste. AS5 isn't the state of the art anymore.

Cases.... I don't know much about the CM HAF cases. Theres a lot of personal preference involved there with the aesthetics. I'm a big fan of the Corsair Obsidian line (750D/800D/900D in particular)

PSU: Be careful with Corsair PSU's. Make sure you buy one of theirs from the right product line, since they've started using some more questionable designs in their newest lower-end products. I would try to buy one from Seasonic or someone who re-badges a seasonic design (Corsair's AX line, not their AXi line... Some Coolermaster PSU's as well)

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Just to give you an idea of a quick and dirty build. (no OS or peripherals)

Heatsink http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VKVZ1A/...I38SAEXTCAVO57
    memory http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TG8QRW/...=IC9SDX6MW4EHL
    processor http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO8TBOW/...I2RA8DS9T14BGJ
    mobo http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRJSV9O/...I14RA9F99UNU0T
    case http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003S68Q0Y/...I2AWCBH3DUHR3Z
    Video card http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZIQXBA/...I236SB4HDQ4WZ1
    Hard Drive http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FJRS6FU/...I17PHI20440F70
    power supply http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthus...s=power+supply

I'm not a fan of that particular case or cooler, but that is what you had in the OP.

should put you around 1200-1400 dollars.

If you shrink the memory down by 8 gigs (or don't select low profile ram) and cheapen up the case and cooler you might be able to squeeze a SSD into the build.

If you live near a microcenter, they have processor/motherboard combo pricing (probably saves around 100-150)

Ok, and is hyper threading even worth getting?

Really, i only need a slots for the stuff listed. I just want really reliable parts is the other thing.

I will definitely looking into those AMD video cards or maybe just get a GTX 780 anyhow.

Sound card your right i can just put on hold and if i want one get it after.

Ok, like i said i haven't really been looking into stuff that much for awhile.

Cases i just want really good airflow, and i know before cooler master was like the best. If both are really good i will just go by whatever looks better.

Ok, so corsair AX line is the only one i should be looking at now? Or seasonic like you said. Also what are re-badges?

That build is a little bit over 1300.

What case and cooler would you recommend. I really don't know much anymore.

Is 8GB really going to be enough? Games are now using over 4GB of ram correct?

I definitely will be getting a SSD even if i went with that build, i can fit it in there.

Clearly, though you both think that the the CPU is overkill, what should i be looking at? Just a Quad Core 3ghz+?

That build is a little bit over 1300.

I definitely will be getting a SSD even if i went with that build, i can fit it in there.

Clearly, though you both think that the the CPU is overkill, what should i be looking at? Just a Quad Core 3ghz+?
    IF all you are doing is gaming, then yes the 4670k is good enough, if you wanted to "future proof" 4770k

I'd go with a corsair 750Dfor the case.
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsidi...&keywords=750d

As far as coolers go, how much overclocking will you be doing ?

I use this cooler with my 1155 rig(s)
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-T...6127154&sr=1-2

I'm gaming on my "main rig" with 8 gigs, no issues so far

What OS are you going to run, you didn't mention that. I would get Windows 7 Pro 64bit or Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

I saved money when I did my gaming PC upgrade back in August, as all I had to buy was the Z87 Deluxe motherboard paired with i7 4770 cpu, and Logitech Wireless Multimedia Keyboard.
    Last edited by Nightowl224; 12-04-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Ok, and is hyper threading even worth getting?
    Pretty debatable. 4670k and 4770k perform very similarly in games. I just got the 4770k because i'm a sucker

Ok, so corsair AX line is the only one i should be looking at now? Or seasonic like you said. Also what are re-badges?
    The TX line are ok, I'd avoid the RM line. I don't know much about the HX either. The AX are the best, but also the most expensive. Seasonic makes great power supplies

When I say re-badges, almost all power supply "manufacturers" (OEM's) like Corsair, Cooler Master, Silverstone etc actually contract the designs out to a few power supply makers (ODM's) like Seasonic, Channel Well/CWT, Flextronics etc. Many of them don't sell self-branded products, except for Seasonic. Some are better than others and Seasonic is the best but others are good. There are resources out there to find this info out, this is an example, but its not fully up to date: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

Bottom line: I would recommend at least a 650w PSU, more if you'd like some room to grow. You need to decide if you want a modular powersupply or not as well. I don't think you'd be going wrong with a TX750, but the AX760 or a CM V700 are great PSU's that are seasonic based and fully modular for not that much more.

I really like the 750D and its what I would buy new. Coolers... do you plan on overclocking significantly? I would probably choose the cooler that mmettin linked to for a good price/performance ratio. Anything more gets very expensive for the incremental improvements you'll see. At the price of that Noctua I would look into all-in-one liquid coolers like the Corsair H70/H80

the link mmettin posted was for 2x8gb. I'd stick with 16, but 8 would probably be OK.[/quote]

4670k or 4770k. 4670k is the better bang for the buck, but if you feel compelled to get hyperthreading or just want the best CPU possible on the Socket 1150 platform, the 4770k is a great CPU and you can't go wrong with it.
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 12-04-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Overclocking, i haven't really looked into this or ever done it before and i don't want to burn out any parts. I didn't plan on overclocking but if i can overclock some without it damaging my parts i would be interested. Also probably worth noting, i play games for long periods of times sometimes if which i think would be a factor for overclocking. I also leave my pc on at night a lot. Liquid cooling i have also never done. Is there any maintenance like refilling fluid or changing it or anything? Because unless really necessary, i don't want to deal with it.

I think i am going to stick with 16GBs

As for the 4670k vs 4770k does hyperthreading work with games well?

Overclocking, i haven't really looked into this or ever done it before and i don't want to burn out any parts. I didn't plan on overclocking but if i can overclock some without it damaging my parts i would be interested. Also probably worth noting, i play games for long periods of times sometimes if which i think would be a factor for overclocking. I also leave my pc on at night a lot. Liquid cooling i have also never done. Is there any maintenance like refilling fluid or changing it or anything? Because unless really necessary, i don't want to deal with it.

I think i am going to stick with 16GBs

As for the 4670k vs 4770k does hyperthreading work with games well?
    Overclocking is fairly straightforward on the new parts, but if you're not planning on doing it at all then you can get away with using a lesser cooler. You might also consider the 4670 or 4770 non-k. The k parts are the "unlocked" parts for overclocking. The liquid coolers I referred to was something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181031 They require no maintenance because they're totally sealed. They exist primarily as alternatives to the massive, heavy high-end air coolers, but like I said... no overclocking would make them totally overkill

About Hyperthreading: I've seen mixed results. Some applications and games do better, some actually take a small hit.

Trust me, I do science

Ok, i have been looking around and this is where i am at right now.

Cooler Master 912 Blue Edition
    Intel i5-4670K
    Asus Z87-A
    Noctua NT-H1 Paste
    Noctua NH-D14
    Corsair AX760
    16GB 1600Mhz memory
    Intel 530 120GB or Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
    GTX 770

I do have a few new questions though.

Is there any advantage to windows 8 over windows 7 for gaming? I hate windows 8 from what i have used just because of the apps the rest of it i don't mind but the apps are useless i feel. But, gaming wise any advantage? And if problems with drivers is currently a factor if possible let's not count that, because it will get fixed.

Also, the GTX 770 or 780 or R9 290 I am still kind of up in the air up this. I really know what to do. I don't know that $180 is worth like 10 frames difference in most games. Like i said i don't have to have max settings always. And i usually build a new computer every 4-5 years. Let me know what you think.

Also, going with the blue like i said i have been looking around for mechanical keyboards and i found the Max Keyboard Nighthawk-X9 Cherry MX Red switches and Blue LED and then a Razer Mamba has multiple colors so i can set it to blue. If anyone has any other ideas let me know.