Laptop Sound card or Software?

I have a Qosmio laptop which normally has amazing speakers, but I noticed recently that they are exceptionally quiet. My headphones work fine, and are loud, but if I plug in speakers they don't go very loud either. There is a weird sweet spot that I can't hit while adjusting the Windows sound control to make it louder, but it doesn;t stick. I'm wondering if this might be a sound card issue OR if it has something to do with Windows and a bug? Weird that my headphones seem to ALWAYS work fine though, and I plug them into the same port as the speakers nothing is plugged in when I try to use my built in laptop speakers as is.

Re: Laptop Sound card or Software?

As with any PC or laptop onboard audio, much of what and how you hear it depends on the target (meaning the impedance & quality if your headset or the quality of your speakers). Try some other speakers of speakers are what you mostly listen to, or would like to listen to. An example in my case, I have the choice of onboard ALC 892 or an add in PCIe card, the onboard does not sound nearly as nice with my headset (I frogz-Vertex) as the Logitech speakers I have - they sound just fine with onboard, but I also have an Asus Xonar installed the headset REALLY wakes up with the Xonar headphone amp. Try some different smallish external speakers would be my advice. Logitech has a few nice simple 2.0 models.
    Last edited by Will889; 01-02-2014 at 04:49 AM.