Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD help

DVD help

I bought a copy of windows7. I put it in my desktop running xp dvd rw and it shows up blank (so I thought to myself damn this guy sold me a blank copy). But then I put it in my laptop running windows 7 and it shows up fine.

My pc that has XP on it, the drive is a sony drive and the windows 7 copy is on sony media.

So further test , I put another dvd in the xp pc and no problems.

So what is going on here?

The desktop is getting a new solid state drive and I had planned to put windows 7 on it. I do have a second desktop that I can trade out the dvd drive if needed.
    Give me yesterday, you can have tomorrow !!!

Re: DVD help

Well damn where are my egg heads?

Are you saying that you bought a copied version of Win 7 on Sony media? If so, there's your problem!
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

I bought a licensed copy from a microsoft repair tech. As I said it works on my laptop and not my desktop. Are you saying that Sony media is bad?
    Last edited by ZipSnipe; 01-11-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    I bought a licensed copy from a microsoft repair tech. As I said it works on my laptop and not my desktop. Are you saying that Sony media is bad?
    The optical drive in the machine in question has problems. However, licensed copies of MS software come with original discs (and a COA), not burnt copies. On the other hand, if you already had a product key, getting a burnt disc that uses that key is not an issue from a licensing standpoint.

Ok so the issue turned out to be the dvd cable. All this time it has worked but once it got a large volume dvd like windows7 it wouldn't work. I had to switch the cable out to one that has the finer wires(like doubles the amount of wires in the connector).

New problem the installer comes up , installs temp files and then error comes up"Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer" This is from the XP desktop and the disk is a new Crucial SSD

Try a different optical drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie View Post
    Try a different optical drive.
    I'd agree with this suggestion. I am assuming what the OP previously did was switch the old parallel DMA33-cable to a 66-variant, which to me says the drive and likely the system itself are reasonably old and as far as I understand switching the cable really shouldn't have any effect at all how the drive reads a disc. Some optical drives simply have trouble reading burned media (as far as I remember RW-media in particular can be tricky and if the DVD-R is dual layer, I'd guess your reader just isn't up to it).

Ok that is what my buddy said and he unloaded 3 dvd drives on me, 2 are sata only so hopefully this works, thanx gents, will keep you posted.

Uuumm, tried a total of 5 different drives and still the same thing. Updated the bios and updated the firm of the dvd drive and still no go.

I put it over in my laptop and it works again no problem.

Test the memory of the machine that won't work. More than 1 pass.

memory no errors, 3 passes. And what really sucks is I have searched out through the net and yet to see a remedy. I am going to take the disk to my buddy's pc and see if it works in his. If it does then we know the problem must be in the mobo .

Microsoft will let you download a Win 7 ISO for free
    You have your key
    Burn it and try that...

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    memory no errors, 3 passes. And what really sucks is I have searched out through the net and yet to see a remedy. I am going to take the disk to my buddy's pc and see if it works in his. If it does then we know the problem must be in the mobo .
    Though I doubt the disc is the problem, it's an easy enough and inexpensive test. Have him burn you another disc, maybe using a different brand.

I tried reburning the disc on two different brands and got nothing. It's weird it works on the laptop and not the desktop. Again the laptop already has windows 7 and the desktop xp64bit.

And of course the guy aka tech I bought it from hasn't returned my calls. I guess I will break down and buy the real deal. It will just kill me if the same thing happens again.