To OC or not to OC !!!

Man I remember when I found out that I could OC my pc and get better performance I was like a teenager with a '68 Chevy SS. Just couldn't wit to to soup up my system.

The main reason back then was to get my pc to play Battlefield 2 better as it was a power hungry game. And thanx to many of the fine gentlemen on this site we successfully oc'd my pc. I forget the specs but I think we took a 1.8 ghz up to 2.7ghz.

But this was not without some sacrifice. Such as the many BSOD, the several times of re installing XP.

So after I built my next system, I looked at my specs and said man there is really no need to OC, I could run BF2 at all high settings no problems not to mention that my internet provider upgraded my speed for free. So I gave up oc'ing( I did try to oc the new chip just a hair but it didn't like it at all)

So now comes the question , do we really need to OC anymore? The cpu's and GPU's are plenty fast right now I just don't see the need unless you are bored and have nothing else to do.

Or if you are playing some power hungry game and maybe oc'ing might help.

Is it really worth the risk of losing you data?

or do ya just like hot rodding your pc even though you might have the best cpu on the market?
    Give me yesterday, you can have tomorrow !!!

Re: To OC or not to OC !!!

Do you need to? No.

Should you? Yes.

Will you lose data? You shouldn't, and anyway, surely you back up everything important?

I don need to: true

Do I: yes, but @15-25% not 50-75% oc like I used to with older setup.

Data: I have not had a data corruption an a very long time.....
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.

I have one reason why OC - because this will show you the limits of the components quite clearly and when you see that the limits are changing, then you know, that something is very wrong there (usually caps in PSU/mainboard) ...

So maybe not running OC every day, but surely pushing things (except some insane voltage mods and insane cooling, where people run 4x R9 290X cards and thru weekend kill 2 of them - one with voltmod, killing the memory controller on the card, another with condensation when using LN2 and badly isolating things... - this is no -no!) ... will let you know clearly that your HW is getting into troubles.
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Hell yeah I push my PC to its limits and it's well worth it.

I had the bug for a while, I had a lot of fun and spent a fair amount of cash (same scenario as my cars)

BSODs and OS corruption should NOT be a problem if done right. Longevity as well. Good case cooling is as important as component cooling.

It is not needed except for situations like your Battlefield performance, and gpu overclocking would help a lot, much more than cpu

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I've never overclocked a CPU, but I think that GPU overclocking is still pretty relevant. It's easy (as long as you take it slow, do lots of testing and don't go crazy with it), comes with less of a risk in my opinion because you don't have to screw around in the BIOS and many overclocking programs let you only have it on while the program's open... if all goes well you've got yourself some better performance.
    My username is "Gaveroid" on both Steam and Origin. Feel free to send me a friend request and we can play some games together! Also, why don't you check out my website while you're at it, listed below?

http://www.Gaveroid.com

If you OC just for the sake of overclocking, then yes, perhaps it is worth it, if only for the learning experience. Does it really offer some real life benefit? Probably not.

My thoughts are simple, if you need to overclock to keep up with menial tasks upgrade. If it is for bragging rights go for it.

The last system I maintained an overclock on was an AMD Duron 600Mhz @927Mhz. That machine ran fantastic for years, only BSOD's I encountered were due to late alpha and early beta software I was testing.
    My last machine was based around a i7 920, it could handle a slight overclock, but really didn't need it.
    My current rig does not care much for overclocking. Even the Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 doesn't like to go beyond it's factory OC. Keep in mind stock voltage.

I always vote to OC. I OC memory, video card, north bridge, south bridge, and processor. If i can get a slight bump i'll take it. Every moment spent not waiting for additional computer cycle the more productive you can be.

i do it cuz Skylake makes it easy to do it. Hell, even the z170 series motherboards want u to do it. It is easy for all Skylake chips on the i7 6700K to get to 44/45 Ghz on stock volts. Maybe with the few great binns out there, u might reach 4.6Ghz on stock volts too@!