Need suggestions for HTPC CPU and MOBO

The sata ports on my old old mobo for my home theatre pc are dieing.

Any suggestions for a small mobo and a cpu to go with it. I can fit a small tower or similar case in my tv stand and use a bluetooth remote to control it.

Preferably something with usb 3.0 and onboard graphics or a cpu with graphics enabled that is strong enough to play HD vids without a hickup. Don't care about gaming on it.

Also needs to have at least 4 sata ports, more is better.

OR if anyone has other solutions thats fine. I have media on 2 - 3tb HDs and use a 1tb HD as the boot drive with win7. Also use xbmc.

Also, it would be a bonus if its strong enough to stream to one device in a different room while watching a movie on the big screen.

Re: Need suggestions for HTPC CPU and MOBO

Hi Losse,

Have you heard of our newest APU? The A10-7850K? I believe it can be a great solution for you as it meets the requirements you've mentioned in your post. It's ideal for both gaming (it runs Battlefield 4! ) and everyday computing, including streaming videos and watching movies. Here is the link to the official site, make sure to read the features, I think you'll like them: http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...extgenapu.aspx

If you'd consider it, then I suggest going for a combo, I found one for you I think you'll like (it comes complete with a microATX mobo which features both usb 2.0 and 3.0, and 4GB of memory): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Feh0QgodP1MArA

Hope the above helps you
    Last edited by Warsam71; 01-22-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

I'm about to purchase the components to build my first ever HTPC myself. I've narrowed down my processor choice to a AMD A6-6400K and a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI. I really like that it has onboard AC wireless to go with my new Netgear Nighthawk router, though I'll still use the gigabit hookup as my router sits right above where the HTPC will go. It's nice to have the capability to place it away from the router if the need arises. The 6400K should have more than enough power to play back movies and use XBMC with it. Micro Center has the cpu/mobo combo for only $140 so this is a really cheap way for me to get my feet wet in the world of HTPC.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken

Yeah, I like Micro Center. I used to go there often when I lived in the bay area. They have lots of specials all the time...
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

Just built a SFF with an AMD A10-7850k and the cpu runs HOT! ( 63 deg. C ) as read in the BIOS and also with SpeedFan.

After installing the AMD all-in-one Catalyst drivers, it now runs about 54 degrees, (probably the drivers are throttling it back ?)

Other than that, it seems to run well.

I whipped this up on HTPC Part Picker $250.00
    I tried to be as cheap as possible to suit your needs but I also suggest better parts too.
    An A10 APU, 8GB of faster RAM, an SSD, a Blu-Ray drive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JoeMommaX/saved/M7C7YJ

AMD A6-7400K 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
    $52.99
    MSI A68HM-E33 V2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
    $49.88
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    $26.99
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    $49.89
    Rosewill R363-M-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/400W Power Supply
    $49.99
    Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer