XP after support stops?

How much of a problem will it be when support stops for XP as far as internet security goes?

Also I have a dilemma , I bought a Roland sp606 sampler that is also a usb audio interface. However the sp606 does not have a win7 driver and the audio interface according to some users will not work in win7 and I was really buying the sampler because of that. I also had bought win 7 and a new 120gigSSD
    Now I don't really need to update to win7 I actually enjoy using XP but if any of you experts out there think that the security issues (virus, and such) will be a problem and that updating to win7 would be better please let me know?

I also found this interesting test on XP vs Win7

http://blog.testfreaks.com/informati...vs-vista-vs-7/
    Give me yesterday, you can have tomorrow !!!

Re: XP after support stops?

Right now, on update Tuesday, MS provides security updates for XP, Vista, 7, 8 and the corresponding servers OSes. When they discontinue support (and updates) for XP, the security flaws fixed in the later versions on subsequent update Tuesdays, etc., will likely still exist in XP - and, technically, MS will be providing the road map to what they are for anyone that's interested. This is not to say that you can't continue to use the OS - just that the onus will be entirely on you to stay secure. My recommendation, for all my customers, is that it's time to upgrade.

Is the hardware attached to a computer that requires internet access? As Willie said, XP will still be usable but any new security flaws will remain unpatched. If you can avoid leaving the computer connected to the network then it kind of becomes a non-issue. At work we still have a bunch of really old equipment that still runs on XP or older (like windows 95) software, and none of it has network access

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I have given that some thought about taking it off the net. Its an option, if all goes well with my business then I will take it off the net and build another pc just for the net and gaming. The one using xp is for music.
    Give me yesterday, you can have tomorrow !!!

If it hadn't been for a couple of MS engineers opening their yap a couple weeks ago, XP could still have a little more life it. But, they spilled the beans that there is a security flaw that could be exploited and render your XP OS compromised if you are hooked to the internet. Running as a stand alone PC, would certainly extend its life.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

Microsoft sucks, Windows XP is the best OS I used so far, now we have to update because it will stop support on April 8th, 2014. However, I heard my friends said Microsoft will continue to support Windows XP in China after April 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by videogamers View Post
    Microsoft sucks, Windows XP is the best OS I used so far, now we have to update because it will stop support on April 8th, 2014. However, I heard my friends said Microsoft will continue to support Windows XP in China after April 8th.
    i used to think that as well ( due to vista being just ... well vista ) till i went to 7 shortly after it came out of beta. and now i am honestly in love with win 8.1 the UEFI boot and everything. it boots from a mechanical drive but it feels like an SSD. and everything is so stable. trust me, win xp WAS great but honestly it is time to move on. This is coming from someone who used win 95 / 98 till like 2002 lol

I went from XP to Win 7. Win 7 is a fine stable OS. Win 8 is ok but I'm not a fan of Metro. I installed IObit's Start Menu 8 to bring back the start menu and I set things up to boot to a normal desktop. I'm much happier now.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games