Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

AMD: Link to official press release for our newest APUs: A10-7850K and A10-7700K

Hello everyone,

Here is the link to said press release: http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...2014jan14.aspx

Please make sure to scroll down the page a little to read the specs for each of our newest APUs. I'm sure you'll find the information there helpful as it includes prices, number of cores, power, etc.
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

Re: AMD: Link to official press release for our newest APUs: A10-7850K and A10-7700K

and now available.

A10-7700K Kaveri

A10-7850K Kaveri

ud

Re: AMD: Link to official press release for our newest APUs: A10-7850K and A10-7700K

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7677/a...0-a10-7850k/16

With a substantial advantage in IPC and shipping at similar frequencies, a dual-core Core i3 Haswell will deliver much better CPU performance than even the fastest Kaveri at a lower price.

The reality is quite clear by now: AMD isn't going to solve its CPU performance issues with anything from the Bulldozer family.
    Available, but appealing to what market?

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7677/a...0-a10-7850k/16

Available, but appealing to what market?
    I'll probably build a simplish multimedia PC using a Kaveri chip and a mini-ITX motherboard. I think it looks like a pretty nice compromise considering a) power usage b) CPU power c) GPU power d) size and simplicity. That's where I see it's market and simple Kaveri systems may in a sense actually compete vs XboxOne/PS4 (which no doubt perform better in games).
    Still I am semi-interested to see if and when Mantle-patch will be available for BF4 and what Kaveri's performance in the game will be like when using different graphics settings at 720p and 1080p.

Your money Pehu, but when you can buy a cheaper/much faster intel cpu and a weak sauce tip money GPU like the 6750 in the review and be getting better performance than a Kaveri, to what end?

I see these APUs as the fruition of Rory Read's proclamation when he took the helm a couple years back: "We're giving up the high end because we can't compete with intel's process node lead. We're going to do low end custom chips and APUs, for the masses who don't know the difference." (obviously not quoted, but the gist of it IIRC)

These are APUs for people's Grandma to buy: She wants to read about her shows online, and play some Solitaire. The $50 she might save on a better GPU is a week of Campbells soup and Van de Kamps fish filets to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    I'll probably build a simplish multimedia PC using a Kaveri chip and a mini-ITX motherboard. I think it looks like a pretty nice compromise considering a) power usage b) CPU power c) GPU power d) size and simplicity. That's where I see it's market and simple Kaveri systems may in a sense actually compete vs XboxOne/PS4 (which no doubt perform better in games).
    Still I am semi-interested to see if and when Mantle-patch will be available for BF4 and what Kaveri's performance in the game will be like when using different graphics settings at 720p and 1080p.
    Me too. The BF4/Mantle patch is coming this month, I think there will be lots of coverage/reports on the subject. Personally, I think it's impressive that the new A10-7850K can run BF4. IMO, with GCN and TrueAudio it will meet both gamers and everyday PC users needs.
    Sam

Unrelated, but I have a question. I use an AMD FX 8320 CPU. I also use AMD Overdrive. When I run a stability test, even when not overclocking, the test often stops short due to a memory allocation error. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tallmike09 View Post
    Unrelated, but I have a question. I use an AMD FX 8320 CPU. I also use AMD Overdrive. When I run a stability test, even when not overclocking, the test often stops short due to a memory allocation error. Any thoughts?
    That's a very off-topic question. Please start a new thread.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    That's a very off-topic question. Please start a new thread.
    When you do, please, provide as much details as possible (i.e. your specs - including memory, driver version, and any error messages)
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Warsam71 View Post
    Me too. The BF4/Mantle patch is coming this month, I think there will be lots of coverage/reports on the subject. Personally, I think it's impressive that the new A10-7850K can run BF4. IMO, with GCN and TrueAudio it will meet both gamers and everyday PC users needs.
    No offense intended Sam, but a lot of pro AMD cpu threads seem fairly contrived.

"Yeah but if you're a guy who zips a lot of files and uses a transcoder AMD paid the devs to make run the best on their part, and play BF4 only, have one of the few motherboards that support it, your gaming PC is in a walk in cooler, THEN the 9590 is the chip for you!"

I'll stand by my assessment: Gamers want more graphics than this has. Business wants more IPC than this has. What's left is Grandma some retail clerk who's anti-establishment dupes because the system never panned out for him, so he wants to stick it to intel.

I bought AMD only for a lot of years and get the "fight the power" and "fight the monopoly" thing. But we work hard for our money these days and knowingly buying CPUs that don't have the shelf life doesn't make sense.

I bought my 2500K for $200 in early 2011, and here we are, three years later and you guys haven't given me anything to buy at any price since. That is a problem for me and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Warsam71 View Post
    When you do, please, provide as much details as possible (i.e. your specs - including memory, driver version, and any error messages)
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...-AMD-Overdrive

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

No offense taken...you made a valid point.

I'd like to expand on my original post...and thoughts. I remember way back, 15-20 years ago when I first started building PCs. I remember buying numerous different types of cards/components for my rig. In addition to the usual suspects (i.e. CPU, Mobo, GPU, Memory, and PSU), I purchased NICs, modems, soundcards, and serial interface cards to connect my mouse and keyboard (I'm sure you remember those days). Fast forward a decade or two, all said components are now integrated in the motherboard, increasing performance and helping saving dollars. In short, I'm personally a fan of system integration. The APU, especially the A10-7850K reinforces my view. Looking ahead, say in 2016, 2017...I envision these processors becoming more and more powerful and feature more integrated components, running the latest (future) games with ease.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I'll stand by my assessment: Gamers want more graphics than this has. Business wants more IPC than this has. What's left is Grandma some retail clerk who's anti-establishment dupes because the system never panned out for him, so he wants to stick it to intel.

I bought AMD only for a lot of years and get the "fight the power" and "fight the monopoly" thing. But we work hard for our money these days and knowingly buying CPUs that don't have the shelf life doesn't make sense.

I bought my 2500K for $200 in early 2011, and here we are, three years later and you guys haven't given me anything to buy at any price since. That is a problem for me and you.
    Phenom II has great shelf life. I bought an X6 in early 2010. In a gaming rig today its still plenty fast. AMD may no longer be competing in the very top end of performance but they are still plenty fast enough for those that choose their brand. It comes down to consumer choice.

FYI, I'll put my moderator hat on for a moment and say that this thread isn't going to turn into another off-topic AMD vs Intel heated debate. We have enough of those. In respect to the OP and the thread subject please try to keep this on-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Phenom II has great shelf life. I bought an X6 in early 2010. In a gaming rig today its still plenty fast. AMD may no longer be competing in the very top end of performance but they are still plenty fast enough for those that choose their brand. It comes down to consumer choice.

FYI, I'll put my moderator hat on for a moment and say that this thread isn't going to turn into another off-topic AMD vs Intel heated debate. We have enough of those. In respect to the OP and the thread subject please try to keep this on-topic.
    I don't have a heated debate left in me these days. I had a Phenom 1 and two Phenom 2s.

It's hard to discuss CPUs without mentioning intel though. I suppose you could compare the 78 APUs to the 68 APUs, but to what end? That's not the decision the market faces.

Too expensive for what they are imo. Right now I'm building an HTPC and had briefly looked at the 7700K. I've decided to go with a 6400K instead because of price. Gaming graphics are completely unimportant to me on this build and the fact that I can get said cpu with the best Gigabyte M-ITX board available for $30 less than just the 7700K is a no brainer. If I were interested in gaming performance on a budget I'd go with an i3-4130 and a decent video card for barely anymore than the 7700K and get better performance. I really don't see what the market is for these?
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken