Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: AMD: Link to official press release for our newest APUs: A10-7850K and A10-7700K

Quote Originally Posted by Warsam71 View Post
    No offense taken...you made a valid point.

I'd like to expand on my original post...and thoughts. I remember way back, 15-20 years ago when I first started building PCs. I remember buying numerous different types of cards/components for my rig. In addition to the usual suspects (i.e. CPU, Mobo, GPU, Memory, and PSU), I purchased NICs, modems, soundcards, and serial interface cards to connect my mouse and keyboard (I'm sure you remember those days). Fast forward a decade or two, all said components are now integrated in the motherboard, increasing performance and helping saving dollars. In short, I'm personally a fan of system integration. The APU, especially the A10-7850K reinforces my view. Looking ahead, say in 2016, 2017...I envision these processors becoming more and more powerful and feature more integrated components, running the latest (future) games with ease.
    Seriously?

We're a million years from APUs that PC gamers would want to use. The "promise" of MANTLE has shown us only how good DX really is now, and that even if devs adopt MANTLE these APUs won't run games in any decent fashion.

No substitute for transistors Sam, and your firm just proved it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7728/b...mantle-preview

Re: AMD: Link to official press release for our newest APUs: A10-7850K and A10-7700K

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post

Available, but appealing to what market?
    You have to be asleep at the wheel Jethro. Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by supercat View Post
    You have to be asleep at the wheel Jethro. Seriously?

Seriously.

The CPU portion is far behind Wintel, and the GPU portion is too weak to be of use. (as Wintels are, just not as bad)

So, for if you need a CPU, you need Wintel. If you need a GPU you need Wintel + AMD or NVIDIA GPU.

So, for if you need a CPU, you need Wintel.
    No, you don't. Only if you need the absolutely fastest processor then you need Wintel.

If you need a GPU you need Wintel + AMD or NVIDIA GPU.
    Not really. The integrated GPUs do well enough against a separate low-end GPUs and achieve this using less power and a lot less space.

Asleep at the wheel means you are not aware of what is going on around you.

I don't care about Intel vs. AMD processor speed, the bottom line is cost. Not only do you get very cost effective performance from AMD but now you get a good directx 11 capable graphics processor that together = APU. The graphics are perfectly capable of playing today's games at 1080p and this has been well documented. It saves folks a lot of money in the long run, money that could be put to good use on something else like a SSD for example.

APU's are here to stay and they will only become better over time.

Seriously.

The CPU portion is far behind Wintel, and the GPU portion is too weak to be of use. (as Wintels are, just not as bad)

So, for if you need a CPU, you need Wintel. If you need a GPU you need Wintel + AMD or NVIDIA GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by supercat View Post
    Asleep at the wheel means you are not aware of what is going on around you.

I don't care about Intel vs. AMD processor speed, the bottom line is cost. Not only do you get very cost effective performance from AMD but now you get a good directx 11 capable graphics processor that together = APU. The graphics are perfectly capable of playing today's games at 1080p and this has been well documented. It saves folks a lot of money in the long run, money that could be put to good use on something else like a SSD for example.

APU's are here to stay and they will only become better over time.
    Agreed...that was my original point. Over time the APUs will continue to improve as system (components) integration advances today.
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

I'll say this. For a laptop, these would be nice. For a desktop, what I said is pretty much true.

I have a A10 - 7700. Overdrive shows thermal margin. I think my processor might be poor, seems always near 70c. Anyone else have one? What's temps?

"Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    I have a A10 - 7700. Overdrive shows thermal margin. I think my processor might be poor, seems always near 70c. Anyone else have one? What's temps?

That a laptop ?

Those temps are crazy high...I'd re-seat the heatsink or replace it with aftermarket

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    That a laptop ?

Those temps are crazy high...I'd re-seat the heatsink or replace it with aftermarket
    No a desktop,

Ya I tried a cheap one, it sucked and was hard to install, went back to AMD's cooler, made sure paste is perfect.

Was thinking it was the processor or it was normal. Thermal Margin is something new for AMD, no other monitors work.

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

I don't think that's actually a temp ...
    AMD Overdrive 4.3.1.0690 - Changelog

What's new in AMD Overdrive 4.3.1.0690:

January 15th, 2014

Support new AMD APUs (code name Kaveri) launched Jan 2014; A10-7850K, A10-7700K
    Starting with AMD OverDrive Ver 4.3.1.0690 instead of displaying CPU temperature, AOD will report Thermal Margin. Thermal Margin indicates how far the current operating temperature is below themaximum operating temperature of the processor
    AOD no longer supports BEMP (Black Edition Memory Profile)
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I have been searching the web, very little info available and not allot of commentary in the forums.

hey uc

ud

Hello UD,

How the heck are you? Interesting little computer.

i am fine thank you! hoping the same with you.

that type of setup is the direction i would go too.

i imagine you've noticed rebelshaven is only a memory now.

ud