OEM Windows 7 questions

I see on Ebay dozens of these OEM for sale and that they send you a piece of hardware along with software, why?

Also if these have been used on another pc doesn't that mean you can't load it on yours or have they just used up one installation which means you only get one installation?

And one more, say if I wanted to change mobo or hard drive will this be an issue with an OEM disc?
    Give me yesterday, you can have tomorrow !!!

Re: OEM Windows 7 questions

The OEM licensing scheme Microsoft came up with required vendors to sell a piece of hardware with any OEM Windows purchase. Yes, ebay vendors are not officially licensed to sell these copies, they are just trying to seem legit by following this practice. Some members may have bought licenses this way, but your best bet would be to just visit Newegg or some reputable online retailer. The new policies in effect at Newegg would seem to indicate that a piece of hardware purchase is not required to buy OEM OS anymore. Be warned, it might hit you at check out, since I haven't bought OEM software in a while. Newegg made this MS policy almost mute, buy selling a $1.99 mouse with the OS at one time, lol.

You can reuse this key on a rebuild PC if you wait a couple days before reactivating. It's just that the license can only be active on one PC, if you ever go online with 2 pc's with the same key, one PC could receive a 30 day timer to activate with a different key.
    Last edited by onetech; 01-25-2014 at 03:11 AM.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

OEM Windows is the most popular for system builder's and OEMs. Reason being is that you pay less for a license of Windows but you do not get the customer support, and you can have trouble when switching between motherboards and licenses.

sttubs is offline Always learning something

If you're looking for a new or used Win 7 key you might get a better deal posting a want to buy ad on the forums.
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

If you're looking for a physical copy, I never went wrong by getting OEM copies. If you're looking for a key... well... that's a bit harder... not sure how to get one of those for cheap.

Been through a couple builds in a row and the most hassle I've been through is having to verbal say that I only use my key on on machine (which was true, but I had re-installed a good 8-9 times on about four different mobos). So far so good, doesn't matter if OEM/Retail, just be prepared to dial Microsoft or Ebay if you get a bad key.