Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up No Man Left Behind

Twelve years ago years ago I met this guy at work, who shared common interests in PC hardware & PC gaming so we became friends. I introduced him to this PC hardware enthusiast site which had a Gaming forum where a casual gaming group called the Fragging Frogs lived. That was Feb 2002. He joined the forums and the Fragging Frogs and has been a gaming regular ever since.

The member I'm talking about is Tom, aka tlemaste or Kernal_Tom on the "Battlefield"

Back then when many of us joined PC Perspective it was actually an AMD focused site called amdmb.com, and it was here that many of us got our love for AMD hardware. For me, I was always impressed with the value/performance AMD offered. Eventually the site changed to pcper.com and became a more generally focused PC enthusiast site. Over the years Tom continued to be dedicated to the AMD brand, while many of our members switched to Intel CPUs - we called that "going over to the dark side"

In those days, like most of us, Tom enjoyed upgrading his rig to play the latest games. That's usually easy to do when you are working, but Tom was regrettably forced into an early retirement. Tom will be the first to tell you that being on a fixed and limited income doesn't allow for many of those system upgrades. Tom now has an aging rig that is just so-so at playing modern games like Battlefield 4, and Battlefield 3 before that. I should mention that the Frogs have a history of helping each other out passing around excess hardware when possible - in fact, Tom's current rig contains a video card, RAM, and a hard drive given to him by other Fragging Frogs.

Being one of our more "senior" gamers hasn't stopped Tom from being a very dedicated member of the Frogs and to PC gaming. To this day he still games regularly every week and can always be found on TeamSpeak. Even personal hardship doesn't get in the way of his love for gaming. In 2011 Tom's house was flooded (the 2nd time his house was flooded in just 5 years) although fortunately his gaming rig was spared! While cleanup efforts were underway, Tom needed a place to stay so he and his wife lived with my family for a few weeks. I remember it well - his PC was setup on my kitchen table with a long network cable running to a wall port in the living room For those few weeks that's how he attended our gaming nights.

I wanted to share some background info about Tom because I have some exciting news to share. As most of you know we have an offical AMD representative among us, Sam aka Warsam71. Besides his official duties here Sam also has a love of gaming and joins us occasionally to play Battlefield 4. I approached Sam about Tom's situation and he generously offered to help. Help how you may ask ..... ?

In honor of Tom's dedication to gaming, the Fragging Frags and his ongoing devotion to AMD, our friends at AMD have presented Tom with a BRAND NEW custom built all-AMD high-end gaming rig !!!

Check out these impressive specs:

AMD FX-9370 8-core CPU
    Corsair H100i liquid cooling system
    ASUS RoG Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard
    AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory
    Diamond Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GPU
    Samsung 250GB 840Pro SSD
    Antec High Current Power 750W PSU
    Bitfenix Ronin case

After several weeks of planning I was finally able to present the rig to Tom on Friday Feb 14 - making it a Valentine's Day gift from AMD It was a complete surprise to Tom. It took several minutes for the shocked look to leave his face.

I'd like to specifically thank Sam for making it all happen and James at AMD for doing such a great job on the build of Tom's rig.

Please join me in congratulating Tom on his new AMD rig and thanking our friends at AMD for making it all happen.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Re: No Man Left Behind

Thanks to Sam and AMD for making this happen. Tom has been a steadfast frog and I'm always happy to play with him. In my mind there isn't a frog out there more deserving of such a wonderful surprise

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

This is a GREAT story and I am glad to see it happen right here in our community!! Props out to AMD and to Sam for making it happen and this is an amazing example of generosity!!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Thanks to Sam and AMD for making this happen. Tom has been a steadfast frog and I'm always happy to play with him. In my mind there isn't a frog out there more deserving of such a wonderful surprise
    Ditto ....

Tom just needs to remember to check his six

That's just about THE coolest story I've ever read here on the forums in my almost 13 years here! Next Sunday I'll be traveling up to Denver to buy a cpu and mobo to finish a system I'm putting together. I've been going back and forth on whether or not it was going to be an AMD or Intel based system. This awesome gesture towards Tom by AMD has made up my mind to go with them! Now to just figure out if I should go with the FX-8320 or the A10-7850K!

Oh and congrats Tom. That is one HELL of a nice system you are now the proud owner of!
    Last edited by kbohip; 02-18-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: FX-8320 instead of 8350
    Beware liberals with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Ditto ....

Tom just needs to remember to check his six
    I'm very happy for Tom. I've always been a believer and supporter of the "For gamers by gamers" motto...and I'm very happy to have been able to help; and I know James feels the same - he has a heart of gold.

Now, Tom, you better watch my six, and nine, and three o'clock in the battlefields!
    Last edited by Warsam71; 02-18-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

Awesome story guys and a hell of a job Lenny. Does this mean he's breaking in the new rig on Saturday?

grats Tom. very cool to see this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by molestedbyasus View Post
    Awesome story guys and a hell of a job Lenny. Does this mean he's breaking in the new rig on Saturday?
    I think he's been breaking that rig in every day already! Saturday will be a good "burn-in" test with as much as 16 hours of gaming possible
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Nice specs on the system. Nice to see somebody in need get a decent system. Have a pair of 2GB 7850's in my system.

Awesome Tom, glad that you get to see the game in Ultra!

Makes me giddy, and I'm not even the person who got something.

Have to agree with ODogg, too.

Thank you to all of you. I have always been a die-hard AMD fan and user, now I am even more so. I feel very humble because of this wonderful gesture. Thank you Sam and the rest of AMD.

100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

Red face Re: No Man Left Behind

Awesome story, thanks for sharing. Sam is a great guy, glad to be part of the AMD PC family and this gaming community.
    "I am what I am..."

Late to the party on this, but congratulations to Tom and AMD for such an awesome and classy act!