Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AMD FX 8350, bad temp sensor?

hey guys, i been running an fx 8350 @ 4.8 ( 240 x 20 ) for about a month now and with prime95 running for several hours it never went over 55c and 45c in my sony vegas render that took 20 minutes ( 4k video ) so i was all happy n what not.
    the other night watching youtube videos ( the cpu was only running @ like 2 ghz - cool n quiet feature ) ( i run coretemp all the time with a warning popup @ 59c ) it threw me a warning of 79c which boggled the hell out of me considering there was very little load on it. then it went back down to 20c and then back up to 79c. i turned it off and waited an hour but it never posted again. the red lights ( that come on the board when it posts ) normally cycle through and then it posts. well the red light by the cpu stays on and nothing posts ( the hard drives dont even initialize ) i took the cmos battery out and waited another hour. put it back in. nothing... idk what to do. the phenom ii x 4 965 i had in previously i put in my cousins computer and i cant take it back now lol.

parts
    ASUS sabertooth 990FX
    4x 2gb Skill ddr3 1333
    asus gtx 550 ti oc
    Rosewill 750 watt 80plus bronze ( i know it OP but i've had it for a while )
    antec 900 case ( very old lol )
    Zalman reserator 3 max

tl;dr cpu overheated but temp sensors did tell my os and my fans didnt speed up accordingly.
    i have a cpuid validation link that i posted for the pcper 750 ti give away but i can't get it now lol

Re: AMD FX 8350, bad temp sensor?

Did you determine what happened? Is it possible the CPU fan failed or the heatsink wasn't mounted correctly? What were you using to cool the CPU?
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

as for the no post issue. remove both sticks of memory and power up the rig for a number of seconds. shut it down and put one stick of memory back in. maybe a previously unused slot and power up again.

ud

sanders, any update?

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

i dropped a crappy am3 athlon II chip in it just to try it and it booted up just fine, he doesnt care about the chip so i pretty much have it oc'd to the max running prime, the voltage is crazy high and its not touching over 40c

im glad the board still works which i was confident i would since it is EXTREMELY strong and it has never ran @ stock.

i can only get on here @ work so it kinda sucks :/ guess ima go shopping for a phenom II. i would like an 1100T but those still sell for about the same price as the 8350 lol

dropped a crappy athlon II x4 in it a friend gave me. oc'd it to hell with my same cooler. ran prime95 and it was consistant and i saw no issues. the board / ram work fine .. so i guess the cpu is DEAD :/ r.i.p. 8350

it's rare for a cpu to fail. if it were me, i'd retry the 8350 before using it as a paperweight.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    it's rare for a cpu to fail. if it were me, i'd retry the 8350 before using it as a paperweight.
    Agree although if it did in fact reach 79C that could be a cause of failure. I'm still wondering how it got that hot. CPU fan got stuck or something?

it's still a software reading and leaves it open for plus or minus accuracy. usually the cpu will throw some errors and when it gets too hot shuts down. the op was the one who shut his pc off.

i just know i'd try it again. motherboards and their bios get stuck(lack of a better tech term) and don't reset to default. that's was what i was trying to do with the memory suggestion. changing the cpu could have accomplished the same thing.

ud

I just built my first AMD based system in a long while, using the FX-8320 Micro Center special. What I was shocked to see right off the bat was the extremely high temps the cpu hit while I was in the bios making adjustments. 62C within 5 minutes! I was worried the mobo was sending wrong temp readings but the sound of the hsf wailing in early 2000's Delta 80mm style said otherwise. It was when I started installing Windows that I noticed the fan was barely audible and the heatsink itself was only lukewarm to the touch.

So after I got it up and running I ran Prime and had to laugh at how much heat this cpu is capable of putting out, even at stock speed. The stock AMD hsf did keep the temps around 50C though the fan was running at an insanely high (hear it from 30' away) 6,600 rpm! In normal use it stays quiet but ANY draw on the cpu gets the fan winding up. Case in point, while watching an HD video on Titanfall yesterday the fan got quite noticeably loud and I could feel heat coming out of the top of the case from the cpu. A quick check of the task manager showed barely 25% cpu usage. Keep in mind this is just a stock clocked 8320. I could probably heat my basement with what an overclocked 8350 must put out!

Long story short these cpu's run VERY hot at even light loads. I really don't think 79C would even come close to killing one, unless it was well over 90C and the software couldn't keep up with the readings. It almost sounds like you *might* have had an air bubble situation in your water cooling setup that caused the cpu to not get cooling for even just a few seconds. This cpu wouldn't have to be at much of a high load to heat up very fast either, as evidenced by my HD video results.

EDIT:
    Just saw this review of the Zalman cooler over at Newegg.

First we will start with temps. With my fx-9590 at stock speeds and settings...I was not able to run Prime95 for more than 2 minutes before hitting temps of +80 degrees C....even after adding another 120mm fan for a push/pull configuration. For making the claim of being able to effectively displace 400W of heat...I feel like I should be able to really push the 9590 at stock settings and not worry about temperatures one bit.

It's possible even this cooler isn't enough for an OC'd 8350!
    Last edited by kbohip; 03-13-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

i just skimmed through these replies briefly ( sorry lol ) but this cooler was running great with this cpu. my fan curve n all that was set. but the fan never sped up to match the cpu temp. Then suddenly coretemp ( and asus ai suite II ) gave me a warning that the temp was 79c, i quickly looked at the temp history and it was 40c and then the graph shot upto 79c the next cycle.. after that i turned the computer off and waited a bit then tried it again and then it never posted since.

i would like to hope the chip is still alive.i did have it OC'd pretty hard but it never flagged anything prior, or even core failures in prime95. ( 240 x 20 )

update. i got a cheap phenom II x2 555 and unlocked it to x4. runs great

WOW R.I.P 8350 you were a brave young chip!! tears hahaha

Resolved Re: AMD FX 8350, bad temp sensor?

Usman Gani Randera, Surat, Gujarat, India

High End system assembling for audio & video editing
    Issue of high temperature in AMD fx cpu.
    Assembled more than 12 AMD Fx 8370 CPU since this 3 years,
    i too agree for high temp, but it is easy to solve by us,
    my practice says it is issue of fx cpu fan design by "cooler master"
    1. wings [blinds] of heat sink is too closed, 2. fan is very closely stuck with
    heat sink, distance should be maintain. 3. take care cabinet must not be narrow I know
    if Intel CPU > 3 GHz also goes > 70 degree temp while exporting HD-UHD videos,
    If not using A/C, disable Over Clocking from bios, AMD Fx 8350,8370,9370,9590 are far better than intel in costing & performance, I my self is Audio & Video Editor,training students in university, Cooling system for cpu of other company
    will make your system more stable,
    m not on that level to advice AMD R & D but might they come to know will......

Usman Gani Randera, Surat, Gujarat, India

High End system assembling for audio & video editing
    Issue of high temperature in AMD fx cpu.
    Assembled more than 12 AMD Fx 8370 CPU since this 3 years,
    i too agree for high temp, but it is easy to solve by us,
    my practice says it is issue of fx cpu fan design by "cooler master"
    1. wings [blinds] of heat sink is too closed, 2. fan is very closely stuck with
    heat sink, distance should be maintain. 3. take care cabinet must not be narrow I know
    if Intel CPU > 3 GHz also goes > 70 degree temp while exporting HD-UHD videos,
    If not using A/C, disable Over Clocking from bios, AMD Fx 8350,8370,9370,9590 are far better than intel in costing & performance, I my self is Audio & Video Editor,training students in university, Cooling system for cpu of other company
    will make your system more stable,
    m not on that level to advice AMD R & D but might they come to know will......