Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Catalyst 14.3 Beta driver, Vsync fix, and Thief patch featuring Mantle/TrueAudio out

Hello everyone,

Eidos Montreal has released the Thief patch which supports our TrueAudio Technology and the Mantle API today. Note the patch will automatically download on systems that have the game already installed.

In addition, the new Catalyst 14.3 Beta driver is available for download; you can grab it from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...dows-beta.aspx

I’m happy to inform you this version of the beta driver includes the fix for the audio Vsync issue you have reported. I’d like to thank you again for your patience.

Please remember to read the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections for more information about this version of the beta driver.
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

Re: Catalyst 14.3 Beta driver, Vsync fix, and Thief patch featuring Mantle/TrueAudio

Why is it that for the last year or so everything seems to be cross fire related?
    What about us single GPU folks?
    I remember when AMD used to release drivers that showed performance increases for specific games.
    Is that a thing of the past?
    It's almost like us single GPU folks are second class citizens.
    Example:

Feature Highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 13.4

Support added for AMD Radeon HD7790 and AMD Radeon HD 7990
    Catalyst Driver optimizations to improve performance in Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, and 3DMark
    Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution
    Performance gains seen with the entire AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series for the following:
    Batman Arkham City (1920x1200): Performance improvements up to 5%
    Borderlands 2 (2560x1600): Performance improvements up to 10%
    Quake Wars (1920x1200): Performance improvements up to 13%
    Hitman Absolution (2560x1600): Performance improvements up to 11%
    Wolfenstein MP (1920x1080): Performance improvements up to 11%
    Civilization V (2560x1600): Performance improvements up to 5%
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Re: Catalyst 14.3 Beta driver, Vsync fix, and Thief patch featuring Mantle/TrueAudio

When can we expect Mantle support for 7xxx series cards?
    Thought that was supposed to be in this driver release.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Win7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog View Post
    Why is it that for the last year or so everything seems to be cross fire related?
    What about us single GPU folks?
    I remember when AMD used to release drivers that showed performance increases for specific games.
    Is that a thing of the past?
    It's almost like us single GPU folks are second class citizens.
    Example:
    Don't forget: all those things are quoted as "UP TO xx%" (as in, best case... maybe you might see xx%) and are limited to specific GPU classes or game engines. Basically, those things come down to specific improvements that come out of tweaks for a new architecture. Your 7950 (and GCN in gneral) has been out for a long time now and those kinds of improvements are going to be much fewer and further between as time goes on. When AMD's architecture changes I'd fully expect to see those kinds of performance tweaks come again. In the meantime, they're working on the very complex job of getting CF working as smooth as possible.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Hhhmmm....spend time installing a driver that won't give my video card the functionality of a disco ball....or be lazy and play with the flashlight on my cellphone... this is a difficult choice.

Hey...it says to uninstall the driver to update it...I just uninstall the display driver (my machine gets pissy if I uninstall the whole thing) and then install the new display driver and what ever else.... would i still get the same results as I would if I deleted, then updated the whole thing?
    Last edited by RatzKlaw; 03-18-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Installed this driver. It was so amazing it changed my life forever!

well, it didn't immediately cause a fiery inferno under my desk... thats pretty much the same thing right?

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog View Post
    When can we expect Mantle support for 7xxx series cards?
    Thought that was supposed to be in this driver release.
    The support for Mantle is there now for 7970's. What we do not have yet is the optimization - the tweaking, so to speak. Full support for Mantle is built into the 14.1 and later Catalyst drivers.

100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by tlemaste View Post
    What we do not have yet is the optimization - the tweaking, so to speak.
    That's what I meant. I stand corrected.

Win7 x64

works for me.

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being late. I'm happy to have seen posts about this version of the beta driver working well, and more importantly fixing the audio vsync issue.

I wanted to let you know I've taken notes from this post and plan on sharing it with my teams. If you don't mind, please continue to use our Issue Reporting forum to report any bugs.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by tlemaste View Post
    The support for Mantle is there now for 7970's. What we do not have yet is the optimization - the tweaking, so to speak. Full support for Mantle is built into the 14.1 and later Catalyst drivers.
    Even so if you have an older CPU you might still benefit from Mantle even without GPU specific optimizations. I saw a 25% increase in BF4 at 1080p Ultra on a Phenom II X6 3.4 Ghz with 7970.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Good one Lenny.

About Mantle in general. As some of you may know I was in San Francisco last week attending (working) GDC (Game Developer Conference). There was a lot of excitement around Mantle.

One the most exciting announcement was Crytek's adoption of Mantle. This happened during the "Mantle: Introducing a new API for Graphics" Session. Cevat Yerli (CEO of Crytek) mentioned he his looking forward to more flexibility, power and low level access by using our Mantle API with Crytek's Cryengine. He also mentioned he loves "metal", which I believe he referred to the "closer to the metal" vision that's been shared lately by industry leaders, and of course the metal special effects/textures and feature in Crysis. Personally, I foresee great/technologically advanced game(s) coming our way...

In addition, Stephan H (from AMD) provided a quick glimpse into the road ahead for Mantle: the upcoming launch of the Mantle Beta SDK, how to sign-up for the program and of course where to learn more about the API; all of this (and more) will be on the AMD Developer Central website (www.developer.amd.com) in the next month.

Another personal "factoid", or rather one of the highlights for me was meeting John Romero (creator of Doom and founder of Id Software). I had a chance to speak with him for about 2 mins (there were lots of gamers/fans all around him). Thanked him for inventing one of the best PC games of all times...very nice guy!
    Last edited by Warsam71; 03-26-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by RatzKlaw View Post
    Hhhmmm....spend time installing a driver that won't give my video card the functionality of a disco ball....or be lazy and play with the flashlight on my cellphone... this is a difficult choice.

Hey...it says to uninstall the driver to update it...I just uninstall the display driver (my machine gets pissy if I uninstall the whole thing) and then install the new display driver and what ever else.... would i still get the same results as I would if I deleted, then updated the whole thing?
    Hello RatzKlaw,

Sorry for the late response...

We normally recommend to uninstall the current driver from your system before installing a newer one (please keep in mind this is a beta driver); this should minimize issues while updating the driver. To remove the current driver go to your Control Panel, click on Programs and Features and look for any AMD or ATI programs (i.e. AMD Catalyst Install Manager or ATI Catalyst Install Manager) - by the way I'm pretty sure you are familiar with this process :-)

And if you still see the "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" in the Programs and Features window, do the following:
    1. Click on "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" then click on "Change"
    2. The program will star and will give you the option to "Uninstall Manager" (select this option)
    Doing the above steps will remove everything.

Make sure to download Catalyst 14.3 Beta before rebooting; once this is done, reboot your system and start the installation process for 14.3 Beta.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Warsam71 View Post
    Hello RatzKlaw,

Sorry for the late response...

We normally recommend to uninstall the current driver from your system before installing a newer one (please keep in mind this is a beta driver); this should minimize issues while updating the driver. To remove the current driver go to your Control Panel, click on Programs and Features and look for any AMD or ATI programs (i.e. AMD Catalyst Install Manager or ATI Catalyst Install Manager) - by the way I'm pretty sure you are familiar with this process :-)

And if you still see the "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" in the Programs and Features window, do the following:
    1. Click on "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" then click on "Change"
    2. The program will star and will give you the option to "Uninstall Manager" (select this option)
    Doing the above steps will remove everything.

Make sure to download Catalyst 14.3 Beta before rebooting; once this is done, reboot your system and start the installation process for 14.3 Beta.
    This is what I did successfully with 14.1, 14.2 and 14.3

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

This page clarifies for which GPUs the 14.3 driver is optimized for.

Known issues list for AMD Catalyst™ 14.3