Help me find the One Backpack To Rule Them All

I'm in the market for a new backpack. I have a chronic back injury and hauling a ton of notebooks, books, and computer equipment around on my back is really bad for it. The back injury costs me a mint every month - so anything that reduces the amount of care for that back injury saves me money.

I need a backpack capable of safely hauling a maxed out Alienware m11x R3, a surface pro 2, a galaxy S4, a power strip and 5 port switch, a single spiral notebook and a single medium sized textbook/3-ring binder. Occasionally I'll be transporting a PCB or set of breadboards and I may often have a toolkit including wire cutters and a screwdriver set. Lastly I need to carry a large bottle of water because I'm generally walking well over a mile a day while I'm in classes. All in all I can picture needing it to carry 30 pounds of stuff on days I have a lot of things to haul.

It won't be like this all the time, but it'll be like this some of the time.

I currently carry everything but the power strip, switch, and screwdriver set on my back. It's really not good for me.

The backpack needs to roll on wheels and the few times I have to actually carry it, it needs to have a chest strap so that I can position it on my back in a way that doesn't impact my injury.

It needs to be able to carry a lot of expensive equipment, safely. Being weather proof/resistant is important to me. I don't quite own the Alienware or the Surface Pro 2 and cannot afford to damage them as I'd be buying them if I did!

What do you all suggest?
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Re: Help me find the One Backpack To Rule Them All

Quote Originally Posted by Windrunner View Post
    I'm in the market for a new backpack. I have a chronic back injury and hauling a ton of notebooks, books, and computer equipment around on my back is really bad for it. The back injury costs me a mint every month - so anything that reduces the amount of care for that back injury saves me money.

I need a backpack capable of safely hauling a maxed out Alienware m11x R3, a surface pro 2, a galaxy S4, a power strip and 5 port switch, a single spiral notebook and a single medium sized textbook/3-ring binder. Occasionally I'll be transporting a PCB or set of breadboards and I may often have a toolkit including wire cutters and a screwdriver set. Lastly I need to carry a large bottle of water because I'm generally walking well over a mile a day while I'm in classes. All in all I can picture needing it to carry 30 pounds of stuff on days I have a lot of things to haul.

It won't be like this all the time, but it'll be like this some of the time.

I currently carry everything but the power strip, switch, and screwdriver set on my back. It's really not good for me.

The backpack needs to roll on wheels and the few times I have to actually carry it, it needs to have a chest strap so that I can position it on my back in a way that doesn't impact my injury.

It needs to be able to carry a lot of expensive equipment, safely. Being weather proof/resistant is important to me. I don't quite own the Alienware or the Surface Pro 2 and cannot afford to damage them as I'd be buying them if I did!

What do you all suggest?
    Sounds to me like your going to want two things here... an aluminum collapsible hand truck and a cammelbak of your choice.

Good Lightweight Hand Truck

This Camelbak looks like it would be big enough too.

You could probably strap the hand truck to the camelbak when you want to carry both around.... on your back.
    Last edited by Yeah; 03-19-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added