My possible upgrade path. Thinking Haswell 4670k.

Looking to update my aging Core 2 Quad setup. Not looking to build a ridiculous gaming powerhouse or a dedicated workstation of some flavor. Just a wanting to build a middle of the road reasonably priced all around gen purpose box that will futureproof me for a few years at least. Used to be an AMD fanboy years ago but the Kentsfield chip has served me well and I'm thinking of sticking with Intel again. Obviously researching the AMD side of things and while I like the concept of Kaveri for what it is I think ultimately I'll be disappointed adopting that route. Intel it is again.

I'm thinking Haswell i5 4670k is the way I'm going to roll on this one. Obviously paired with a Z87 board of some flavor. Gigabyte has been good to me in the past and they have a few options that look full of win. I'll probably go with a watered down one though as I just can't justify the extra cost for features I'll honestly never need on the higher priced variants. Money saved there goes towards either more ram or a vid card.

Speaking of which I like where I won't absolutely need stupid fast ram unless I really want it just because. Looking at the Kaveri concept that became crystal clear, more memory the better and the faster the better. Still though I think a decent set of at least 8 gig at 2400 would be nice sweet spot for a Haswell build. Since I'm not planning on oc'ing it right off the bat I don't need ram guaranteed at at higher speeds but I know me. Eventually I'll wander there lol. I'd like to not be locked into a slower ram speed if I choose to try and get some more out of the CPU. Which is why I'm only considering the K variant of the CPU.

Obviously going to want a reasonably decent video card. Those new GTX750Ti cards look pretty nice considering cost and their performance. I'd like to play some of the newer games out that my current setup can't really handle but I'm not one to absolutely have to have it cranked to the max for every setting. As long as its acceptable FPS thats good enough for me. Off the bat though I might have to go with the onboard graphics just to get the system going. I don't have to game on it immediately. I can roll in something later on when I can afford it. This stuff adds up quickly as you all know.

Brings me to the next consideration. Sticking with the WD raptor concept I already have or finally opting for an SSD. Still sort of chewing on this one. What do you guys think? The raptors have been plenty fast for my purposes in the past and are still going strong. Is a few extra seconds shaved off here and there really worth adopting the SSD concept?

Wanting to recycle as much as I can from the old build. The case, optical drive, and maybe the PSU can be used again. The PSU I currently have is an Antec Neo HE 500w. Not an 80 plus though as its an older unit. Still going strong. Since I'm thinking most likely a single GTX 750 it should be able to handle that no sweat I think considering the rest of the build. The only reason I might opt for a new PSU now is future proofing maybe. Unless you guys know of any reason why I must opt for an 80 plus solution or some reason the NEO 500 just wont cut it for this one please enlighten me.

Finally the cooler solution. Again like I already stated thinking of rolling in some of these components later as I can afford it or when I choose to squeeze some more juice out of this build. Since I'm thinking of just going stock off the bat I can get by with the Intel supplied cooler initially. Question I have is just how noisy will it be? One thing I couldn't stand about the one that came with my Kentsfield so a quiet aftermarket one was a must. Not sure if I'm inclined to lean towards a water solution although these days there are plenty of plug and play options now it seems. Back in my day it was more of a DIY sort of thing. Sloppiness there could spell disaster. I might be willing to go with a factory sealed setup. Corsair has caught my eye with some of their offerings.

I think that pretty much covers it. For sure I need a chip, board, and memory to get the ball rolling initially. I can recycle what I can and then everything else can be added in as required later. Been quite a while since I've built one of these or had to plot a potential upgrade path out. Anything critical I'm overlooking? Any suggestions for an alternative build path will be greatly appreciated. Once this is all up and rolling I do think I'll start folding again for team 734.

Cheers all for any responses good or bad. It is appreciated.
    J
    Last edited by JeremyWills; 03-20-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

Re: My possible upgrade path. Thinking Haswell 4670k.

CPU is a solid mid range one could even maybe drop down to like 4570 even if want to save few more $. 750ti like play games medium to med low settings. I had a WD raptor and it was pretty fast drive, so could stick with that for now and get an SSD later on. PSU being older model should still work though might check in bios and turn off c7 sleep state haswell has for ultra lower power usage as psu might not be able to provide it properly. As for cooler Pcper did a review on a cooler a week ago or so called SilverStone Argon Series AR01. From the review as you read did good job and only cost 35$ usd. Water coolers start around 60$ and don't seem to keep the cpu as cool.

Mostly it all looks good though psu being older could have issues with new haswell c7 sleep state so might have to disable that to be safe in bios. Cpu cooler you might look at this http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-a...-Cooler-Review that was reviewed a few weeks ago and seems to be probably one best bang for $ coolers.

If you don't think you will overclock (yes I know you said you might), look into the Xeon E3-1230V3 processor. i7 performance at an i5 price

Looks good to me, from what I've seen of the GTX 750 and GTX 750 TI reviews, you can't go wrong with either those cards for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyWills View Post
    Looking to update my aging Core 2 Quad setup. Not looking to build a ridiculous gaming powerhouse or a dedicated workstation of some flavor. <chop>

I'm thinking Haswell i5 4670k is the way I'm going to roll on this one. Obviously paired with a Z87 board of some flavor. Gigabyte has been good to me in the past and they have a few options that look full of win. I'll probably go with a watered down one though as I just can't justify the extra cost for features I'll honestly never need on the higher priced variants. Money saved there goes towards either more ram or a vid card.
    What features do you need ? USB 3 Sata 6 ?

What is your budget ?

Speaking of which I like where I won't absolutely need stupid fast ram unless I really want it just because. Looking at the Kaveri concept that became crystal clear, more memory the better and the faster the better. Still though I think a decent set of at least 8 gig at 2400 would be nice sweet spot for a Haswell build. Since I'm not planning on oc'ing it right off the bat I don't need ram guaranteed at at higher speeds but I know me. Eventually I'll wander there lol. I'd like to not be locked into a slower ram speed if I choose to try and get some more out of the CPU. Which is why I'm only considering the K variant of the CPU.
    You are confusing apples and oranges...AMD rigs need faster ram due to how they overclock, Intel rigs (K series) only need DDR3 1600 memory unless you are a benchmarking legend.

Obviously going to want a reasonably decent video card. Those new GTX750Ti cards look pretty nice considering cost and their performance. I'd like to play some of the newer games out that my current setup can't really handle but I'm not one to absolutely have to have it cranked to the max for every setting. As long as its acceptable FPS thats good enough for me. Off the bat though I might have to go with the onboard graphics just to get the system going. I don't have to game on it immediately. I can roll in something later on when I can afford it. This stuff adds up quickly as you all know.
    Need a budget figure to see if we can accommodate a vid card right away

Brings me to the next consideration. Sticking with the WD raptor concept I already have or finally opting for an SSD. Still sort of chewing on this one. What do you guys think? The raptors have been plenty fast for my purposes in the past and are still going strong. Is a few extra seconds shaved off here and there really worth adopting the SSD concept?
    Sounds like someone has never experienced the speed that is SSD...My recommendation is yes you NEED one.

Wanting to recycle as much as I can from the old build. The case, optical drive, and maybe the PSU can be used again. The PSU I currently have is an Antec Neo HE 500w. Not an 80 plus though as its an older unit. Still going strong. Since I'm thinking most likely a single GTX 750 it should be able to handle that no sweat I think considering the rest of the build. The only reason I might opt for a new PSU now is future proofing maybe. Unless you guys know of any reason why I must opt for an 80 plus solution or some reason the NEO 500 just wont cut it for this one please enlighten me.
    You should be ok reusing the above items...How old is the power supply?

Finally the cooler solution. Again like I already stated thinking of rolling in some of these components later as I can afford it or when I choose to squeeze some more juice out of this build. Since I'm thinking of just going stock off the bat I can get by with the Intel supplied cooler initially. Question I have is just how noisy will it be? One thing I couldn't stand about the one that came with my Kentsfield so a quiet aftermarket one was a must. Not sure if I'm inclined to lean towards a water solution although these days there are plenty of plug and play options now it seems. Back in my day it was more of a DIY sort of thing. Sloppiness there could spell disaster. I might be willing to go with a factory sealed setup. Corsair has caught my eye with some of their offerings.

I think that pretty much covers it. For sure I need a chip, board, and memory to get the ball rolling initially. I can recycle what I can and then everything else can be added in as required later. Been quite a while since I've built one of these or had to plot a potential upgrade path out. Anything critical I'm overlooking? Any suggestions for an alternative build path will be greatly appreciated. Once this is all up and rolling I do think I'll start folding again for team 734.

Cheers all for any responses good or bad. It is appreciated.
    J
    In this case, I'd get an aftermarket cooler right away. Doesn't have to be a fancy sealed water cooler, unless you want it to be as they only perform as well as a decent air cooler.

So to get down to it...

We need a budget for mobo, memory, processor, SSD ?, aftermarket cpu cooler, Video Card, and possibly power supply.
    Does that sound correct?

500 would be nice if I can recycle some of this stuff. Budget is hard to nail down. As I said not sure of my exact needs. Just something middle of the road that will future proof me for a few years. I'll have to start saving up for this. By then prices have dropped and new stuff might be out. You just never know.
    Low Speed, High Drag!

500 would be nice if I can recycle some of this stuff. Budget is hard to nail down. As I said not sure of my exact needs. Just something middle of the road that will future proof me for a few years. I'll have to start saving up for this. By then prices have dropped and new stuff might be out. You just never know.
    Well here are a few of my thoughts . I builts a system with a 3770k back when it came out . I find that I come nowher close to taxing out that cpu so a uber cpu in my opinion is just not needed . Had I to do it all over again I would have went with the I-5 quad core . More then enough and you will save money. And a unlocked cpu ( unless your a overclocker) is not realy worth it so a 4570 is good enough / Motherboards ? I would go with a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 little pricy but worth it IMO , good bios , stable , and good reviews

and here is something to spark yopur reading enjoyment Devils canyon haswell to be released soon

http://www.legitreviews.com/hands-on...refresh_137746
    Now for me if I was building a new system I be all over that CPU !
    also I might consider waiting till the new series 9 chipsets being released , but that is just me ! LOL
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Might be do-able, Are you near a microcenter by chance?

GTX750TI (150 ish)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDG3PRI/...I1XKDXYTC0JBI7
    250 Gig ssd (150 ish)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W1726/...0X78C89P&psc=1
    8 gigs memory (75)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A14ZT6U/...OWNIDIYH&psc=1
    Cooler (35)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O65JXI/...99520YX5&psc=1
    Processor (235 ish)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO8TBOW/...=ID19H8XBPUIRM
    Mobo (150 ish)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRJSX5Q/...I14SLVH3AEK0IN

With a SSD we are around 800 bucks

If we delete the SSD and video card, we are at 500 bucks

Nah. No Microcenters around here.

brothergc had some velociraptors for sale in the used gear area. I inquired about them. He informed me about XP not playing nicely with some of the newer gear including SSDs and the particular raptors he was selling. I've always used the older raptors and wanted to stick to them. But like I said so out of the loop I wasn't aware of that being a potential issue with newer components.

So I gotta factor dumping XP finally I suppose and obtaining a copy of Win 7 or 8 now. I was going to wait till 9 came out or so I thought. Probably going to just maybe look at some used gear to slightly beef up what I got right now to get me by. I think if I build another one I'll just save up and start completely from scratch with a 100 percent all new buildup. Still have a lot of catching up to do with the current hardware out there. Also I use a windows phone so I guess updating to 7 or 8 isn't exactly a bad thing. Right now I can't sync it to my current arrangement and that would be a nice bonus. It wasn't compatible with xp so I sort of knew the time had come but I was hoping to wait a little bit longer.

I guess maybe a bit more ddr ii ram, maybe a faster socket 775 chip and a newerish hdd or ssd with a newer flavor of windows and I can squeeze some more life out of this one. So off to cruise buy/sale/trade land lol. At least going secondhand with gently used gear it won't cost me a huge fortune. Any reason why I can't use a newer graphic card with an older board/pci express spec? Unless it won't be physically compatible I'd assume it would just be bottlenecked bandwith wise? I might opt for the graphic card now to migrate towards a new build later on.

Thanks again folks. Really appreciate the advice given so far.
    J
    Last edited by JeremyWills; 03-23-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    Low Speed, High Drag!