Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

O-Dog's Rig Updates (Pic Heavy) Now with 200% more 290X!

Done some work in a couple of my rigs, so figured I might post up some pics and junk

Re-did my WC loop due to an overheating problem with one of my GPU's. I randomly started getting hard resets and crashes during gaming and was able to track the problem back to one of my cards temps skyrocketing during gaming, likely due to the block losing contact with the core. Prior to this latest update I had two waterblocks that did not match, an EK and an XSPC. The XSPC obviously didn't perform anywhere close to the EK, with core temps 20C higher and no active cooling on the VRMs (the EK has water flow over the VRMs) Because of this, rather than re-seat the block to try to fix my issues, I just decided to replace both blocks and get a matching set.

Rig:
    i7-4770k
    Maximus VI Hero
    2x AMD 7970

Loop:
    XSPC Raystorm
    2x EK FC7970 CSQ
    XSPC RX360
    Alphacool XT45 140mm
    Laing D5 w/ EK X-res top/res combo
    Various fittings, mostly XSPC 7/16"

Before:
    This is the only photo I can find right now showing the overall layout, but its from assembly and doesn't have all the tubing in place. Cell phone pic is pretty crappy.

And after 6+ months of running with the side panel off and a fan blowing directly onto the VRM's of the lower card to compensate for the crappy cooling, it was pretty gross in there. Also shows the awkwardness of trying to connect 2 mismatched cards for serial cooling. Since the ports didn't line up exactly, putting that piece of tubing in there was really frustrating and even when I finally got it all together it was still too long. The stress from the long tube is probably what eventually caused the block to separate from the core, compounded by the fact that XSPC only put screw threads at 3 out of the 4 hole locations around the core, unlike every other manufacturer.

After: Blocks installed, new individually sleeved cable extensions and a whole lot of cleaning done

Last edited by Activate: AMD; 07-18-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: O-Dog's Rig April Rig Updates (Pic Heavy)

Reserved

Trust me, I do science

Holy watercooling batman! sweet build, loving the white tubing!

Quote Originally Posted by V3Stream View Post
    Holy watercooling batman! sweet build, loving the white tubing!
    Appreciated

Trust me, I do science

Man sweet rig! Do you ever have any problems with high Vrm temps?

Quote Originally Posted by Pc geek View Post
    Man sweet rig! Do you ever have any problems with high Vrm temps?
    On the motherboard? Definitely not. I could get a VRM block and put it into the loop, but that would strictly be for street cred. To be fair, I haven't pushed the CPU too hard overclocking it yet, but even then my understanding is that the power draw on these haswells is low enough and the VRMs are overbuilt enough for it to be a non-issue

On the GPU's, not problems per se, but with the old water blocks they would get really really hot. I didn't have any issues with VRM related shut-downs, but its just a bit scary seeing numbers that high (90C+). These new EK blocks are good though, with actively cooled VRMs so the VRM temps are right around the core temps (~45-50C under full load)

Trust me, I do science

Re: O-Dog's Rig Rig Updates (Pic Heavy) Now with 200% more 290X!

Major update, Click to embiggen all pictures

Mail guy dropped off some presents:

I was so excited I didn't even take a "before" pic, but they looked like this:
    XFX 290X Double Dissipation

Naked

Thermal pads... I cut these myself then realized that they were pre-scored

Firepowah!

Installed!

Brick o' 7970's, they served me well!
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 06-13-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Wow. Very nice!
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Jelly
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Those XFX cards are sexy. A nice block is good to look at as well but man, stock is just sexy.

Jelly indeed.
    "My world is awesome but I still wish that I could edit it sometimes"

Overclock those things yet?

Quote Originally Posted by iwalkwithedead View Post
    Those XFX cards are sexy. A nice block is good to look at as well but man, stock is just sexy.

Jelly indeed.
    Yea, XFX did a great job on their stock HSF's. I also like the matte PCB, which is completely covered by the block and backplate. That said, even if the stock HSF is quiet, removing the 4 small-ish fans from the GPU's makes a real improvement in noise signature. That was the first thing I really noticed when I first put my 7970's under water.
    Quote Originally Posted by drkCrix View Post
    Overclock those things yet?
    Not yet. I'm not sure I'm in a rush to do it either, the added heat over the 7970's is real and overclocking would just be taking it to another level.

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Yea, XFX did a great job on their stock HSF's. I also like the matte PCB, which is completely covered by the block and backplate. That said, even if the stock HSF is quiet, removing the 4 small-ish fans from the GPU's makes a real improvement in noise signature. That was the first thing I really noticed when I first put my 7970's under water.

Not yet. I'm not sure I'm in a rush to do it either, the added heat over the 7970's is real and overclocking would just be taking it to another level.
    ive been toying with the idea of crossfire 290x but id need a new motherboard. considering taking that 8350 from the last vlan buying a crossfire motherboard for it and swapping out my i7 2600k. over all performance difference is negligible vs the 2600k especially in gaming where the 8350 is only a few fps behind the 4790k. or i could just buy a motherboard for the 2600k........but i kinda feel like thats a waste. at least with the 8350 route i have the stuff for two systems. or i could "upgrade" to haswell but again the performance difference in gaming is generally 3-5 fps. just can't see it being worth the extra $450 id have to spend. decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    ive been toying with the idea of crossfire 290x but id need a new motherboard. considering taking that 8350 from the last vlan buying a crossfire motherboard for it and swapping out my i7 2600k. over all performance difference is negligible vs the 2600k especially in gaming where the 8350 is only a few fps behind the 4790k. or i could just buy a motherboard for the 2600k........but i kinda feel like thats a waste. at least with the 8350 route i have the stuff for two systems. or i could "upgrade" to haswell but again the performance difference in gaming is generally 3-5 fps. just can't see it being worth the extra $450 id have to spend. decisions decisions.
    What motherboard do you have right now? You should be able to find a fairly inexpensive z68/z77 motherboard out there to swap. Even some pretty inexpensive motherboards do crossfire (which is why i'm surprised that you're saying yours doesn't)
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 06-25-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    What motherboard do you have right now? You should be able to find a fairly inexpensive z68/z77 motherboard out there to swap. Even some pretty inexpensive motherboards do crossfire (which is why i'm surprised that you're saying yours doesn't)
    well it technically does. but its a pci-e 3.0 16x pci-e 2.0 4x combo. biostar TP67B+. it was right around the time sandy bridge rolled out and IIRC they were having supply issues at the time and there weren't a whole lot of options to choose from. i think there was some sort of chipset issue that had to be sorted? or am i thinking of something else? anyway thats what i have.

edit:

also sandy bridge stuff is still stupidly expensive. i can buy haswell stuff for the same price. (new stuff) haven't tried to source any used stuff.
    Last edited by modru2004; 06-25-2014 at 04:50 PM.