Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: O-Dog's Rig Rig Updates (Pic Heavy) Now with 200% more 290X!

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    well it technically does. but its a pci-e 3.0 16x pci-e 2.0 4x combo. biostar TP67B+. it was right around the time sandy bridge rolled out and IIRC they were having supply issues at the time and there weren't a whole lot of options to choose from. i think there was some sort of chipset issue that had to be sorted? or am i thinking of something else? anyway thats what i have.

edit:

also sandy bridge stuff is still stupidly expensive. i can buy haswell stuff for the same price. (new stuff) haven't tried to source any used stuff.
    You can use the 2600k with Z77 (though limited to pcie 2.0 speeds) and there is plenty of that still around for reasonable prices, Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 with 2 PCIe x16 slots is like $130. Definitely a bit of a side-grade in the quest for CF, but IMO an 8350 isn't an upgrade for you (stock 2600k is equal in many multi threaded benches and noticeably better in single threaded while using less power), and obviously haswell isn't cost effective at all.

and yea, there was that stepping bug in the P67 chipsets with the SATA degredation

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: O-Dog's Rig Rig Updates (Pic Heavy) Now with 200% more 290X!

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    You can use the 2600k with Z77 (though limited to pcie 2.0 speeds) and there is plenty of that still around for reasonable prices, Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 with 2 PCIe x16 slots is like $130. Definitely a bit of a side-grade in the quest for CF, but IMO an 8350 isn't an upgrade for you (stock 2600k is equal in many multi threaded benches and noticeably better in single threaded while using less power), and obviously haswell isn't cost effective at all.

and yea, there was that stepping bug in the P67 chipsets with the SATA degredation
    ya the 8350 is so power hungry that i was gonna need a new psu to push crossfire 290x and that power hungry cpu. my cougar sx850w psu is right on the threshold as it is for the intel/crossfire setup.

you know the 2600k is the same price as the 4790k on newegg? crazy. i was looking at the asrock board earlier that may be the route i go.

Re: O-Dog's Rig Updates (Pic Heavy) Now with 200% more 290X!

You have any sleeving pics yet?
    "My world is awesome but I still wish that I could edit it sometimes"

Nothing to show yet, just some unsleeved wires crimped on one side. I still need to tailor the length, pick a color scheme and actually buy/do the sleeving

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Rig looks awesome ODoggy I miss custom water cooling, hoping to do it again one day.

Looks awesome! Looking at all these awesome builds makes me want to build something new to replace my aging i7-2600k based system.

Wow, nice rig!

thats looking sexy!

I really appreciated seeing the photos of the old rig with all the dust on it. It's not something you see everyday for such a well-organized build.