Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your first PC Build ever?

I had a nice conversation with a few friends recently about the very first PC we've ever built.

Personally, the first PC I ever built was a 286 based system with 2GB of RAM, a whooping 40MB HDD, a 8-bit serial controller to connect the keyboard and mouse (the ones with the rolling ball inside instead of IR), a soundcard by Creative Labs and I think I had a modem (modulator-demodulator) to connect to BBSs. As for display, it was a brilliant 14" monochrome monitor (green and black). I used to play....GOLF! I forgot the actual publisher/developer but I clearly remember playing this golf game for a while, then of course I discovered Wolvenstein (free) and Doom, and...well, I became the gamer that I am today.

The OS was good old DOS 3.1 (I think). I remember I always had to "update" the config.sys and the autoexec.bat files to install and/or run certain hardware/software. Oh the good old days...

Oh, I clearly remember having to configure the "jumpers" on the motherboard, as well as the jumpers behind the CD-ROM player and the ones behind the HDD (slave vs. master).

Finally, this PC featured the............5.25 Floppy Disk Drive (a.k.a. FDDs - remember?), and was so excited when the 3.5 FDDs came out, what a revolution!

What about you?
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

Re: Your first PC Build ever?

Mine was based on an athlon 1200 on a soyo board. This was the first one I went and bought the parts and assembled by myself. I had done Frankenstein builds with others. Still remember my 1st game Doom on 3 1/2 floppy disks. Took like 10 to load on 3.1 with DOS commands
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

My first build was a 950mhz Duron with an ECS K7VZA KT133 motherboard, 256MB of PC133 SDRAM, and an nvidia TnT2 M64 GPU. OS was windows 98 SE. Definitely was a big pain in the butt, those KT133 chipset drivers were terrible. At the time I couldn't afford even the crappiest pre-built PC's so I got some advice from the IT guy at my dad's office. Totally opened my eyes to the world of PC building

It was my search to upgrade this PC that lead me to AMDMB, and ultimately my first overclocking build: AMD 1700+ Tbred B, EpoX 8RDA+, BH5 RAM and a 9700 Pro
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 05-01-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

sttubs is offline Always learning something

My first was an AMD 1800+ XP & I don't remember exactly which Asus board I used but I had some issues that led me to AMDMB.com.
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    My first build was a 950mhz Duron with an ECS K7VZA KT133 motherboard, 256MB of PC133 SDRAM, and an nvidia TnT2 M64 GPU. OS was windows 98 SE. Definitely was a big pain in the butt, those KT133 chipset drivers were terrible. At the time I couldn't afford even the crappiest pre-built PC's so I got some advice from the IT guy at my dad's office. Totally opened my eyes to the world of PC building

It was my search to upgrade this PC that lead me to AMDMB, and ultimately my first overclocking build: AMD 1700+ Tbred B, EpoX 8RDA+, BH5 RAM and a 9700 Pro
    mine was an abit kt7a-r(133a) and tb1600. i had a list with the recommended driver installation order along with the george breese latency patch ready when i started the build.

ud

Do you guys remember BBS? I forgot the name of the network I accessed to connect to other systems/people, it was all command based, where all functions were executed with a specific command call. This was before AOL or even HTTP was invented. IIRC, commands like "upload:/filename.xxx dest:drive/folder" were used to transfer/share files.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Warsam71 View Post
    Do you guys remember BBS? I forgot the name of the network I accessed to connect to other systems/people, it was all command based, where all functions were executed with a specific command call. This was before AOL or even HTTP was invented. IIRC, commands like "upload:/filename.xxx dest:drive/folder" were used to transfer/share files.
    You're dating yourself

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I'm thinking we may have to crank up the ol' phonograph, and then telegraph other dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Warsam71 View Post
    I helped run a BBS with a friend of mine called the NIAS network. My first computer I built was a 286 with a 20 MEG MFM hard drive wooohoo! and an internal 2800 baud modem and a hercules graphics card.

I will never forget some of the fun games we played then... Esterian Conquest -- Tradewars we ran our BBS off of SPITFIRE and were proud to boast all of the transfer protocols like zmodem and kermit and the first dual transfer protocol bimodem ...all of the old zip programs lzh lha arc...

communication program of choice? {commo}

AT S11=55 ~ DIAL THAT NUMBA FAST !!!

ahhhh the old days.

#old
    Last edited by Yeah; 05-01-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: sp6 corrections

Quote Originally Posted by yeah View Post
    i helped run a bbs with a friend of mine called the nias network. My first computer i built was a 286 with a 20 meg mfm hard drive wooohoo! And an internal 2800 baud modem and a hercules graphics card.

I will never forget some of the fun games we played then... Esterian conquest -- tradewars we ran our bbs off of spitfire and were proud to boast all of the transfer protocols like zmodem and kermit and the first dual transfer protocol bimodem ...all of the old zip programs lzh lha arc...

Communication program of choice? {commo}

at s11=55 ~ dial that numba fast !!!

Ahhhh the old days.

#old
    :d
    Sam

A 486DX100 with WCing. Really cutting edge in it's day with Danger Den parts.

Memory was measured in MB back then too.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

I never fully built my own computer until 2008 but I remember replacing my 386 back in 1993 when I played too much test drive and overheated my PC. I had nightmares for days.

My first Pc Was a IBM Think Pad

My 1st build was an EPoX EP-8KHA+ KT266A Socket A MB & Athlon XP 1700+ CPU. That was quite awhile ago.

My first "gaming machine" was a 700MHz PIII with a GeForce 256, was convinced to hold off on picking up a Voodoo, worked well