Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Your first PC Build ever?

It was a beige white case with a Pentium 4 in it that ran hotter than the surface of the sun. I have 6 WHOLE gigs of HDD and 1GB of RAM. I was pretty Balla.

My first beast if i can remember correct was a Dx86 (I think in Turbo mode was 86Mhz and in non turbo mode was 43Mhz) with 512mb hard disk drive, 8Mb Ram and a sound blaster pro 8Mb sound card. 1 5.25" floppy drive and a 2x DVD player. I was copying 20 to 30 diskettes, just to play a game called Lotus, and all of these were running under Norton Commander ( OS ).

Mine was a 286, running at 8MHz I believe. I was able to, with a push of a button, put it into "turbo" mode which brought up the speed to 12MHz (but for some reason mine was always unstable doing that). Unfortunately when I built it I could not afford a good GPU, so I had a 4 color CGA card in it, which would let me play very few DOS games. Then one year my parents bought me Kings Quest I, and it required at least a 16 color GPU to run. That was the most annoying gift I ever got, but thanks to my parents again, they eventually helped me purchase a VGA card that would allow me to run the game. Oh, and make sure back in those days that all the jumpers were correctly set! *sigh*
    Specs:
    Thermaltake A71, ASUS Sabertooth X79, Intel i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme, 2 x 1TB 850-EVO SSD, eVGA 980ti SC+, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1866 (Quad Channel), PC Power & Cooling 850 Modular PS.

Experience:
    NIOP, DCUCD, CCNA, CXFF, CSE, VTSP 4, MCP, A+

Completely from scratch, a Slot A Athlon, which is how I came to find this site. Before that though, I had rebuilt an old 486/66 system, up to and including replacing the motherboard with a K2 system.

Like Meridian, a Slot "A" Athlon was my first complete build, but before that I tinkered with modding cases.

First PC build that I did myself was a 486DX100 that I did myself, back in the day, and have been building computers ever since.

Mine was amd athlon 7750 2.6ghz (dual core) paired with 9600gt, gigabyte m720-us3, crap 450w psu and 4gb ddr2 800mhz ram back in 2009

To be honest I can't remember the exact nature of my first full on PC build, but it was in the early 80486 era, though I had "tinkered" with some 80386 based, Amiga HD, and other machines.

I do remember my first real AMD build, it was an AMD K5-PR133 based build, 1996. The processor I have pictured in my signature, I still have it, hence why I remember it. haha

I had messed around with AMD processors before, but they were not mine. I even messed with Cyrix processors back then, remember those? Wish I still had one laying around just to have, put on display. After that K5 build, I pretty much stuck with AMD.

I have been using, tinkering, and modifying computers since the early 80's. Texas Instruments, Commodore, Atari, and Tandy. I actually hated "IBM" PC's back then, it was not until the early 80486 era that I really started to take them seriously.

The rest is history. =P

My Hardware Review Blog - A place for me to share my reviews and thoughts on the hardware that I use and the games that I play.

Other hardware: Seagate 600 Series 240GB SSD OS/Boot Drive - Various WD Black & Seagate HDDs - Cooler Master HAF 932

Quote Originally Posted by krocodile View Post
    Oh, and make sure back in those days that all the jumpers were correctly set! *sigh*
    Does anybody miss jumpers? I don't really miss jumpers. I do remember overclocking my Pentium from 120mhz to 133mhz with a simple dip switch flip though, that was pretty neat

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present