Dual boot with two hard drives?

Ok I just upgraded my pc to win7 on a new ssd. Now on my old drive is xp. Can I simply just put the second drive in my pc and then be able to select upon start up which drive to boot from?

The reason I want to keep xp is that I have some audio gear that I want to get that only works on xp.
    Give me yesterday, you can have tomorrow !!!

Re: Dual boot with two hard drives?

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    Ok I just upgraded my pc to win7 on a new ssd. Now on my old drive is xp. Can I simply just put the second drive in my pc and then be able to select upon start up which drive to boot from?

The reason I want to keep xp is that I have some audio gear that I want to get that only works on xp.
    This depends on what hardware you have and how you installed windows to the drives.

Most of the time you can manually change the boot order by a "f key" (F12, etc.)and selecting what drive you wish to boot from.

One my main pc is win7 64bit and on my old pc is xp 64bit. I want to take the hard drive out of the old with the xp on it and install it on my new pc with win7 being the main os and I would just use xp when I need to use my music hardware that only works with xp.

Since I am not sure where you went with this. I wanted to point out there are a few things to consider. If you are just moving an old drive from an XP machine into your "main" PC, the hardware is different and could cause you some headaches just trying to get it to boot. You will need to follow standard practices when moving an OS to new hardware. Once you have overcome that hurdle, you can use an application like EASYBCD to try and manipulate the Windows 7 boot loader so it will give you the choice to boot from Win 7 or XP. Good luck.
    Specs:
    Thermaltake A71, ASUS Sabertooth X79, Intel i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme, 2 x 1TB 850-EVO SSD, eVGA 980ti SC+, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1866 (Quad Channel), PC Power & Cooling 850 Modular PS.

Experience:
    NIOP, DCUCD, CCNA, CXFF, CSE, VTSP 4, MCP, A+

Ok I ended up with software and an audio interface that is compatible with windows 7. Thanx Gentlemen