Moving away from Amd

[I have a phe x2 with 4 unlocked cores. 955 Amd chip.
    Vm feel slow. Running only one of them
    What's a good intel chip to run vm on. Would like to run two too three at any time.

Will be reusing r7 260x video card.

I3 sounds slow
    I5 more my cost under 550 for board ram
    I7 think out of price range

Any info thanks.

I just don't want to build a first intel box and feel like I'm using a netbook.

Re: Moving away from Amd

If you're running virtualization then you probably want to make sure that whatever CPU/motherboard combination you're using have support for VT-d aka directed I/O. Its not 100% necessary but it'll let your virtualized OS's have direct access to external controllers and HBA's for better performance. This is a standard feature on i5 and i7 non-K (aka not unlocked) CPU's, so I'd recommend the i5-4590 as the best choice in the i5 range. As far as motherboards go, i'm not familiar with which properly support VT-d off the top of my head.

Either way, an i5-4590 would run circles around that old phenom

EDIT: thinking about it a little more, I think we probably need a bit more detail about what you intend to do with this rig and what software you're using before making a truly informed recommendation, since "server" class hardware (Xeon + C22x) might be necessary or beneficial
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 05-21-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Have never done anything with the virtual, but wouldn't a E3-1230V2 be better for this with more L3 cache and hyperthreading?

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Have never done anything with the virtual, but wouldn't a E3-1230V2 be better for this with more L3 cache and hyperthreading?
    Yes but IIRC no IGP and $30 more, if thats an issue

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Why abandon AMD? The fx-8350 is less than 200$ and runs multiple VMs fine.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

If you watch newegg/tiger you could get an i7/board/ram combo around 500-550 maybe 600 tops though that would be with 8gb ram which for vmware sessions probably want 16gb