Thread: 4 or 8 cores

4 or 8 cores

What will run games and other programs better, a 2.8 ghz 8 core processor or, a 3.2 ghz 4 core processor?

Re: 4 or 8 cores

The answer to that question is not simple. Not all programs and cores are created equal. A quad-core phone processor at 2 ghz isn't the same as a quad core PC processor at 2ghz, even though both are quad cores at 2 ghz. On the flip side, some programs work much faster with more cores, some can't take advantage of the extra cores but will run faster on a higher clocked core.

Is there a real world example you have in mind? Games generally don't benefit hugely from the move from 4 to 8 cores (assuming equal cores), but it depends a bit on the game. Games in general tend to be limited by the graphics card in the system more than the processor

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

sttubs is offline Always learning something

It depends if the game or program can utilize the multiple cores. If they can use the multiple cores the 8 core processor should get things done faster.
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Due to the faster core speed the 4 core processor is usually faster (if the cores are otherwise equal). In games probably more noticeably so, since only a handful of games can really somewhat utilize more than 4 cores. Still there are likely at least some cases in heavily threaded apps where the 8 cores actually makes a difference and puts the 8 core processor ahead.