Question So Haswell-e upgrade ..am i crazy or.......

Epic post of epicness incoming!!

I am seriously looking at Haswell-E for an upgrade. I want a system that will stay relevant and prepared to handle games and what ever else i toss at it going forward 5-6 years and all i want to have to upgrade through that time is GPU's.

I know Haswell-E is over kill for a mainly gaming rig but TBH overkill isnt such a bad thing. It allows a longer life span and more options should i choose to do more with it. PLUS Right now i burn up my hydro bill to the tune of close to 800w when gaming and streaming because i use 1 system with a i53570k for gaming , 16 gigs ram and a GTX 780 for gaming and a second pc i bought used and rebuilt as a dedicated streaming box with 6 gigs ram, an i7 970 and a gtx460.

although this setup does Very well for streaming to twitch and gaming, great quality stream and good frame rate no over head on my gaming pc..its a lot of power to use and tbh my home office is a bugger to cool and the i5 3570k i am using i am eyeballing at re-purposing for my office pc at work since that one is old as dirt and needs to be sent to its final resting place.

i think (ok hope at this point with the absence of any specs or benchmarks) a 6 core Haswell-e i7-5930k with my GTX 780 16 gigs of ddr4 will allow me to play games like ESO and Metro Last light, Sniper Elite 3 and hopefully future games at highest settings and be capable of processing a 720p @60 fps stream to twitch or hopefully 900p @ 45-60 fps to twitch at the same time. I am not needing to stream at 1080 and have no plans to in the future.

I am also looking into upgrading my monitor to the Asus ROG Gysync 144hz , 2560 x 1440 . This monitor will help extend my builds as I believe it will allow me to keep higher settings in games, sacrificing frame rate but not sacrificing game smoothness any more. So it should help extend the life of MY gpu a bit between upgrades as well. so the CPU will also have to be able to deal with a higher res monitor when gaming then my current 1080p.

OR is the new improved i7 4790 more then enough for the next # of years with its abilities to play the games and encode h264 for a 720 or 900 p stream at 45-60 fps..

either way..I'm banging my head over this and i figured the hanger outers at the PCPER forums would be the best place for good advice and debate on this

what do you think..
    Last edited by CrazyCanuk; 06-17-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Re: So Haswell-e upgrade ..am i crazy or.......

103 views and not 1 single response...

i thought these forums were more active.

P.s anyone know why i cant see my original post at all? maybe thats why no one is responding because my original post disappeared?

I open this thread and all i get is a reply box with no OP showing..
    Last edited by CrazyCanuk; 06-19-2014 at 05:05 PM.

124 now, might have something to with you don't ask a question or make a statement. Up to you to decide if you are crazy or not

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuk View Post

i thought these forums were more active.

P.s anyone know why i cant see my original post at all? maybe thats why no one is responding because my original post disappeared?

I open this thread and all i get is a reply box with no OP showing..
    The original post was in the moderation queue.

That amount of text (from what I surmise) tripped the spam filter

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    The original post was in the moderation queue.

That amount of text (from what I surmise) tripped the spam filter
    ahh..That would explain it. Thanks..

anyway to get it out of the Moderation Que so i can get a discussion on it? its obviously not spam...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuk View Post
    ahh..That would explain it. Thanks..

anyway to get it out of the Moderation Que so i can get a discussion on it? its obviously not spam...
    Should be out now

DON'T DO IT.

I bought a 990X for $1000 back when that was the E processor, HUGE waste of money.

Yes, I'm still using it today, but the $300 2600K was as good of a processor then, and still is now. The great "everything will be highly multi threaded future" never happened, and left people like me (and AMD) casualties of the more cores hysteria.

Overkill that is has any use is no fun. If you want to spend big bucks you can't justify but actually get some use out of one of the new NVIDIA or AMD dual GPU cards would give you usable performance increase at least. (just be priced poorly compared to two high end cards)

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    DON'T DO IT.

I bought a 990X for $1000 back when that was the E processor, HUGE waste of money.

Yes, I'm still using it today, but the $300 2600K was as good of a processor then, and still is now. The great "everything will be highly multi threaded future" never happened, and left people like me (and AMD) casualties of the more cores hysteria.

Overkill that is has any use is no fun. If you want to spend big bucks you can't justify but actually get some use out of one of the new NVIDIA or AMD dual GPU cards would give you usable performance increase at least. (just be priced poorly compared to two high end cards)
    Yea, I'm with you on this one. I'm not sure exactly what a hex core will do for the OP that couldn't be done as well or maybe slightly worse by a quad at half the cost. How CPU intensive is streaming a 720P twitch stream? Not only that, but twitch streams (IIRC) can be accelerated by using the integrated GPU and QuickSync on the normal lga1150 Haswells, so you might just be getting the two extra cores for something that can be done by a "free" integrated encoder

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Yea, I'm with you on this one. I'm not sure exactly what a hex core will do for the OP that couldn't be done as well or maybe slightly worse by a quad at half the cost. How CPU intensive is streaming a 720P twitch stream? Not only that, but twitch streams (IIRC) can be accelerated by using the integrated GPU and QuickSync on the normal lga1150 Haswells, so you might just be getting the two extra cores for something that can be done by a "free" integrated encoder
    Yep. Even if he has something important to him a hex core can help, the $500 model will provide basically the same performance for half the price. (and can be OCd to similar speeds easily enough)

What exactly are you trying to achieve. A performance increase? Power savings? A new project?

An overclocked 2 year old i5 is no slouch for gaming purposes. Especially when paired with a GTX780. Adding two more cores isn't going to help you much. Also, while very cool, the monitor is not going to do anything for your performance either unless there is something wrong with your old one or it is VERY dated.

i5-4690K or i7-4790K are more then adequate. As sated above the money savings would cover a second 780.

If is power savings that you are looking for you can shed 100W TDP by replacing the GTX460 with a GTX750Ti (if you continue to run a second machine. Also (if applicable) replace your PSUs with high efficiency and properly sized units (I like the Seasonic X series which are 80Plus Gold but they have platinum also if you feel the need).

If you want more please ask a clear direct question.
    Last edited by cdx910; 08-06-2014 at 10:53 AM.

I've got a simple question, can you install and run a Haswell-E CPU in a socket 1150 motherboard with the Z97 chipset ????

no, haswell-e is a 2011-v3 socket part. just like sandy/ivy bridge-e parts before it.