Question AMD quad OR Intel Duo

Pretty much as the title says AMD quad core or an Intel Dual Core for a gaming budget build.

Thoughts/Opinions/Suggestions?

Re: AMD quad OR Intel Duo

I typically lean towards the intel dual cores as their CPU cores are faster enough than AMD's cores that even in multi-threaded benchmarks that should favor AMD's core count, the performance difference is small. What games do you have in mind and do you have any other parts (GPU) picked out?

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Wildstar, Titanfall, BF4

Motherboard is dependant on if I got AMD or Intel. I also have no plan on OC'ing
    Gigabyte Radeon r7 250 2gb

Quote Originally Posted by FrostPirate View Post
    Wildstar, Titanfall, BF4

Motherboard is dependant on if I got AMD or Intel. I also have no plan on OC'ing
    Gigabyte Radeon r7 250 2gb
    This is a bit of a tough call due to no OC'ing. Normally I'd just suggest going for an i5-4670k, but the FX-8320 is not a bad deal at $110. Only problem is the 8320 runs HOT and even with no oc'ing, you'll need a $30+ HSF like the 212 EVO to keep it cool, either that or wear ear plugs while the stock fan gets loud just to watch videos, as I know from experience. Maybe go with an i3-4130 for the same money but won't necessitate an expensive HSF purchase.

FX-8320 with two case fans for $110.00
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...379xOXuaLuSJxA
    Last edited by kbohip; 06-19-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken

they built with a intel dual core on this very site and bf4 ran at over 30 fps
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General...080p-Under-550

Intel!!!

Intel is the market leader and I don't see this changing anytime soon. The proof in in the pudding. I first realized this to be the case many years ago at a LAN party where the guy with the UBER AMD processor consistently loaded more slowly then all of the Intel machines that were slower on paper. I've seen this time and again prove to be the case. Everyone I know that came up with Intel and tried AMD for one reason or another has regretted it.

AMD products also typically produce more heat and consume more power.
    Much software doesn't even take advantage of multiple cores.

AMD isn't bad, I just think the Intel is better.

Quote Originally Posted by cdx910 View Post
    AMD products also typically produce more heat and consume more power.
    Much software doesn't even take advantage of multiple cores.
    Well AMD cpu's technically run cooler then Intel cpu's and use more power, how ever they have a much lower thermal limits which tend to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter1 View Post
    Well AMD cpu's technically run cooler then Intel cpu's and use more power, how ever they have a much lower thermal limits which tend to be a problem.
    Not sure if I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying, but temp != heat. Yes, they run "cooler" than Intel, but the amount of energy thats dissipated is the real issue when you need to cool your system. 125W is going to heat up the air inside your case more than 83W no matter what temperature the actual core is running at.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter1 View Post
    I have a system with the AMD FX-8320 space heater option. The FX-8320 is THE hottest running processor I've seen in 15 years of building pc's, and that includes the 1.4ghz Thunderbirds.

Edit: Re-read your post and I think I see what you're saying. It's true that my 8320 is always a lot closer to it's thermal limit than my Intel cpu's. I also notice when I'm running Prime, the 8320 is always throttling itself back on certain cores by around 600mhz. I haven't noticed this with my Intel cpu's. It's not a cooling issue either as the cpu is at a nice "cool" 60C.
    Last edited by kbohip; 08-08-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken

You can run the 8320 on the cheap stock AMD heatsink if you're not planning any overclocking at all. Sure, it's going to be louder than something like the Hyper 212, but it will work.

Personally, I would get the 8320 if you can afford one. It's a fantastic gaming processor. =]

My Hardware Review Blog - A place for me to share my reviews and thoughts on the hardware that I use and the games that I play.

Other hardware: Seagate 600 Series 240GB SSD OS/Boot Drive - Various WD Black & Seagate HDDs - Cooler Master HAF 932

I have a rig running an 8320 @ 4.3 and it runs full load 24/7/365 at 40c with a aio. My main rig is running a 8350 @ 4.4 it is a great gaming rig (it runs WCG full load 24/7/365 also) I would go 8320 all the way.

East Stroudsburg, PA (The Pocono Mountains)

Not sure if it's any longer relevant, but I'd shoot for a Cpu like mine, very fast, absolutely silent and cool even on the stock cooler. Check my sig. It's a bit pricey though honestly, but combined with a cheap H81 board it's not bad. I love AMD, have several rigs around running everything from Phenom II X4 to 8350, but at this time, Intel is just superior, especially with DX9 games where Cpu overhead can get a bit insane. Try to shoot for an i5 quad core, you'll be very happy with it.
    i7 5820k 4.2Ghz | 32GB DDR4 2400 XMP | MSI X99A SLI Plus | MSI GTX 980 | Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB | 256GB Sanforce SSD | Toshiba 3TB HDD | Rosewill Stryker M | Corsair H55 | Noctua 120mm x2 | LG 25" Ultrawide IPS 60hz