4790K is a paper launch?

I ordered a 4790K from amazon a weeks ago. Launch day comes and what happens..... nothing. I did get an e-mail saying the product launch was pushed back a week. Has anyone else had this devilish problem?

We're writing about the order you placed on June 14, 2014 (Order# 110-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Intel Core i7-4790K Processor- BX80646I74790K"
    Estimated arrival date: June 27, 2014

Re: 4790K is a paper launch?

Intel remembered they no longer have any competition?
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

unfortunately I think the writing was on the wall with this one, it was going to be a paper launch. Considering their positioning (as kbohip alluded to) I'm not sure they're under much pressure to keep to a strict hard-launch schedule

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed but it did let me rethink the whole thing. Now I've decided to cancel the 4790 and ordered a 4690K instead. Why pay $100.00 more for 200Mhz and hyper-threading. Not something I need.
    I just wish they could have done what they said they would do. I'm used to AMD missing dates and not performing as expected but having decided I could actually afford the fastest and best after years of waiting kinda cools my fervor.
    Too bad for Intel. $100.00 less out of my pocket.

Well, once again a disappointment. Now its late July or early September.

Hmm, I just got an e-mail from Micro Center this morning stating that the new i7-4790k's have arrived. Is there a Micro Center near where you live?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...oxed_Processor
    Last edited by kbohip; 06-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Unfortunately No Micro center. I wish!!!!! I live in Hell ....er..... I mean Arizona. None in this state. Maybe I can find one elsewhere

I honestly don't know how Micro Center is able to beat Newegg's price on the 4790 by a full $60 and on top of that offer another $40 off the cpu/mobo combo!

Edit: On a side note, it's amazing to see the lack of progress by Intel over the last few years. My old 2600k is still able to compete quite nicely with even the brand new 4790k. The resale value on Ebay confirms this with prices hovering around the $225-250 range....for a used 3 year old processor!
    Last edited by kbohip; 06-28-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I honestly don't know how Micro Center is able to beat Newegg's price on the 4790 by a full $60 and on top of that offer another $40 off the cpu/mobo combo!
    Loss leader. They hope you'll buy their at cost CPU's and motherboards then turn around and buy the rest of your build there as well. Sure the ram costs $10 less online, but you're already right there right? Well, now that you've got the guts you might as well go ahead and buy the case and PSU there too!

Of course if you're smart and done need everything right away you do the math and price shop the whole rig and figure out the least expensive way to do it with all things (taxes, shipping, gas, tolls, etc) considered

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Loss leader. They hope you'll buy their at cost CPU's and motherboards then turn around and buy the rest of your build there as well. Sure the ram costs $10 less online, but you're already right there right? Well, now that you've got the guts you might as well go ahead and buy the case and PSU there too!

Of course if you're smart and done need everything right away you do the math and price shop the whole rig and figure out the least expensive way to do it with all things (taxes, shipping, gas, tolls, etc) considered
    Yeah, I've never bought anything there other than the mobo and cpu combos. Newegg used to have some fairly decent combos too, I remember taking hours sorting through them to find the best ones. The good ones have gone away though it seems.

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    A few months ago, I was all setup to buy all the parts for a new system from Newegg. I've bought stuff from Newegg before and I never really thought about looking around much. Then just as I was ready to order, Newegg ran out of the Windows 8.1 Pro (retail version). They also did not have a date when it would be back in stock.

Since its really, really hard to fire up and use a new system without Windows, I thought about it a bit, and went to Amazon. Amazon was also out of stock, but they had a back in stock date of 3 days later. And since it was Friday, I figured that was about the best I could hope for. Then I noticed that the exact same Windows 8.1 Pro (retail version) was $11 cheaper at Amazon. I stopped... If one item at Amazon is $11 cheaper than at Newegg, what else might be cheaper at Amazon?

So I went back to NewEgg, copied down my Wishlist, and back to Amazon I went. I discovered that of the 23 items I wanted to buy, Amazon was cheaper on 14, and Newegg was cheapest on 4 items. They matched each others prices on 3 items. Interestingly for me, I saved just under $200 by buying those 14 items at Amazon over Newegg. I bought the items that matched or were lower in price at Newegg in an effort to still give them some business.

In the end, I placed both orders in the same hour of the same day. Everything from Amazon was here in 48 hours. Everything except 2 items arrived from Newegg in 48 hours. The monitor arrived on day 3. And the motherboard finally arrived on the 4th day. And it is really, really hard to build a system from parts without a monitor and motherboard.

So it appears to me that things are clearly changing. Newegg used to be the fastest on shipping, and almost always had the best prices. And now, at least when I was ready to order in early May 2014, that was not the case.

I've never done business with Micro Center. Never seen one where I've lived either, so I never even thought about them.

The items I ordered were all common items. Cooler Master Scout case, AsRock Z87 Fatal1ty Killer motherboard, Team 8GB 2666 x2 RAM, PNY GTX 770 4GB OC, Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, AOC 2963Pm 29" 21:9 monitor, Seasonic 850W Power Supply, Kingston HyperX Headphone, Asus Blu-Ray burner, Asus DVD burner, Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and a few other things, plus some games.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGB View Post
    A few months ago, I was all setup to buy all the parts for a new system from Newegg. I've bought stuff from Newegg before and I never really thought about looking around much. Then just as I was ready to order, Newegg ran out of the Windows 8.1 Pro (retail version). They also did not have a date when it would be back in stock.

Since its really, really hard to fire up and use a new system without Windows, I thought about it a bit, and went to Amazon. Amazon was also out of stock, but they had a back in stock date of 3 days later. And since it was Friday, I figured that was about the best I could hope for. Then I noticed that the exact same Windows 8.1 Pro (retail version) was $11 cheaper at Amazon. I stopped... If one item at Amazon is $11 cheaper than at Newegg, what else might be cheaper at Amazon?

So I went back to NewEgg, copied down my Wishlist, and back to Amazon I went. I discovered that of the 23 items I wanted to buy, Amazon was cheaper on 14, and Newegg was cheapest on 4 items. They matched each others prices on 3 items. Interestingly for me, I saved just under $200 by buying those 14 items at Amazon over Newegg. I bought the items that matched or were lower in price at Newegg in an effort to still give them some business.

In the end, I placed both orders in the same hour of the same day. Everything from Amazon was here in 48 hours. Everything except 2 items arrived from Newegg in 48 hours. The monitor arrived on day 3. And the motherboard finally arrived on the 4th day. And it is really, really hard to build a system from parts without a monitor and motherboard.

So it appears to me that things are clearly changing. Newegg used to be the fastest on shipping, and almost always had the best prices. And now, at least when I was ready to order in early May 2014, that was not the case.

I've never done business with Micro Center. Never seen one where I've lived either, so I never even thought about them.

The items I ordered were all common items. Cooler Master Scout case, AsRock Z87 Fatal1ty Killer motherboard, Team 8GB 2666 x2 RAM, PNY GTX 770 4GB OC, Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, AOC 2963Pm 29" 21:9 monitor, Seasonic 850W Power Supply, Kingston HyperX Headphone, Asus Blu-Ray burner, Asus DVD burner, Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and a few other things, plus some games.
    It's actually rare for me to do business with Newegg anymore. Usually Amazon gets my business unless it's something I have to go through Newegg for. I actually try and avoid Newegg because of their stupidly slow shipping. They like to use FedEx Smartpost which I despise.

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19