Question FX-8350, what is the stock HT-Link speed?

As tittle.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, BIOS 1604.

When i first got it is was at 2200Mhz (that i think is normal), now; I cannot remember if i set it like that the first time i installed it, so i do not know if what i'm about to explain is a new thing thats happening, or if it always has, which is; on auto BIOS settings the HT-Link defaults to 2600Mhz.

Ok, the CPU does not like that, no, it gets a little annoyed with that. I have to set it manually to 2200Mhz, that in its self is not a problem, or any inconvenience.
    But why is it doing that? And what is the actual default speed? The AMD site is not forth coming on that with the info they have there, and Googling it is also not clear, you see; I though it might just be my Motherboard playing 'Take the #### out of the silly B###ard' if it is Gigabyte and some others are in on the act with some of their owners, thats right; some report 2600Mhz as default while others 2200Mhz, some reviewers putting up screenshots of CPU-Z have them at 2600Mhz as stock.

Wonderfull..... anyone have a clue about what is going on here?

Thanks
    Last edited by AbundantCores; 06-24-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Re: FX-8350, what is the stock HT-Link speed?

According to the AMD FX performance tuning manual (page 18 on this PDF link) 2600 is the default (200x13)

As for whats going on there, I haven't run an AM3+ CPU before so I can't really offer anything useful in that department

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    According to the AMD FX performance tuning manual (page 18 on this PDF link) 2600 is the default (200x13)

As for whats going on there, I haven't run an AM3+ CPU before so I can't really offer anything useful in that department
    Thanks O-Dog

HT Link Multiplier:
    This multiplier determines the clock speed of the H
    T Link. In the case of the AMD FX-8150
    CPU, the default value is x13 (13x200MHz = 2600MHz)
    . In most cases a reboot is required for HT Link
    Multiplier value adjustment. The maximum value of H
    T Link Multiplier is x13. HT Link Multiplier is unl
    ocked on
    all of the AMD FX-series CPUs
    I will set it back to 2600Mhz, but the first and only time i ran it at that speed it had a slight fit in Cinebench.

I will mess on with it tomorrow and report back

UpDate for anyone interested.

With the BIOS reset and the CPU running as it should be out of the box the HT-Link is 2600Mhz.

If you overclock via the CPU Multiplier and leave the HT-Link on auto it will set to 11x (2200Mhz) all i did was set it to 13x (2600Mhz) manually, also the CPU-NB to 11x (2200Mhz) just incase.

I'm having fun with it, but am limited in what i can do as my Hyper 412S is finding its self a little out of its depth at around 4.5Ghz or more. So i just bough a 'Cooler Master Seidon 120V' last night, its on its way now, i do believe thats the same cooler that ships with the new 9590.

I'm not expecting it to be much better than the 412S.

Well, there are two things going on here, One; i just think for 40 its good the get that chunk of metal out of the case, i have had it for 4 years, its served me well but Air cooling is so 2010.

Two; because its in the case it relies on the air in the case to be cool for it to be effective, at the moment i have a line of 120mm fans to try and negate the heat from the GPU sitting under it ending up getting sucked through the CPU cooler. IE one infront of the cooler pulling as an intake, 2 on the cooler in push pull, and one at the back as a pull exhaust, with all that going on i have an exhaust at the top of my case which is pulling half the intake air out before it reaches the CPU cooler, and i need that exhaust fan to stop the heat build-up in the case... its a bit of a mess.

With the water cooler i can put the rad at the back and have the fan pull air through the rad from the outside, the 200mm top exhaust fan sitting right above can pull that air right back out again, and with that chunk of metal out of the way i can build a far more effective solution to Keep my VRMs nice and cool, which is a bit of an issue with these, overclocked they pull so much power the VRMs do get hot, this with 10 Phase Digital VRMs cooled by a CeraM!X coated cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by AbundantCores View Post
    If you overclock via the CPU Multiplier and leave the HT-Link on auto it will set to 11x (2200Mhz) all i did was set it to 13x (2600Mhz) manually, also the CPU-NB to 11x (2200Mhz) just incase.
    Interesting, I wonder if thats not some kind of "fail safe" thing where if you overclock it it defaults to a lower speed just to increase stability. In the past its always been a good idea to keep the multiplier set so that the HT link speed stays around the stock speed, but if you're not increasing the bus speed (i.e. just CPU multiplier overclocking) the HT shouldn't change

Trust me, I do science

Interesting, I wonder if thats not some kind of "fail safe" thing where if you overclock it it defaults to a lower speed just to increase stability. In the past its always been a good idea to keep the multiplier set so that the HT link speed stays around the stock speed, but if you're not increasing the bus speed (i.e. just CPU multiplier overclocking) the HT shouldn't change
    The BIOS does have a D.O.C.P option, which i think is like Intel's XMP Profile thingy, i just use manual and setup the RAM myself, when i get the new cooler i will try that setting to see if it sets the correct HT-Link.

I think you could be right with your "fail safe" idea, its perhaps assuming that because your overclocking you might turn up the HT Bus speed which would bump up the HT-Link speed over 2600Mhz, which is apparently the limit. perhaps the BIOS is incapable of knowing the difference between you adjusting the internal multiplier and the internal bus, it just thinks they are one and the same.

I wonder if this is a motherboard specific thing, or do they all do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AbundantCores View Post
    The BIOS does have a D.O.C.P option, which i think is like Intel's XMP Profile thingy, i just use manual and setup the RAM myself, when i get the new cooler i will try that setting to see if it sets the correct HT-Link.

I think you could be right with your "fail safe" idea, its perhaps assuming that because your overclocking you might turn up the HT Bus speed which would bump up the HT-Link speed over 2600Mhz, which is apparently the limit. perhaps the BIOS is incapable of knowing the difference between you adjusting the internal multiplier and the internal bus, it just thinks they are one and the same.

I wonder if this is a motherboard specific thing, or do they all do it.
    If the reports you've seen from different people claiming 2200mhz for the HT speed covers several different motherboard models from Asus (or perhaps other manufacturers) then that might be a good indication that it is intended behavior. I suspect you'll find a very minor, if any, performance loss by running at 2200 vs 2600. When you said it had a "slight fit" in cinebench, was that overclocked with the HT @ 2600 or at stock clocks?

Trust me, I do science

If the reports you've seen from different people claiming 2200mhz for the HT speed covers several different motherboard models from Asus (or perhaps other manufacturers) then that might be a good indication that it is intended behavior. I suspect you'll find a very minor, if any, performance loss by running at 2200 vs 2600. When you said it had a "slight fit" in cinebench, was that overclocked with the HT @ 2600 or at stock clocks?
    It was with the HT at 2600Mhz CPU stock and 4.5Ghz, but i have come to believe it may have been my RAM causing that, i was also messing around with those timings, i have tested Cinebench again after the BIOS reset, a few times with the HT at 2600Mhz and its been fine, as for performance, yeah, it make 0 difference, or at least not in Cinebench.

The real test with all this comes later today when i will be playing BFH and BF4, maybe i will see you there?
    Last edited by AbundantCores; 06-25-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Been reading that PDF. i find this interesting.

The Memory controller of AMD Phenom and AMD Phenom II CPUs can be set to run in Ganged mode or in
    Unganged mode. Ganged mode means that there is a single 128bit wide dual-channel DRAM Controller (DCT)
    enabled. Unganged mode enables two 64bit wide DRAM Controllers (DCT0 and DCT1).
    The recommended setting in most cases is the Unganged memory mode. Ganged mode may allow slightly
    higher Memory performance tuning and performs well in single-threaded benchmarks
    I'm going to put that to the test.
    Last edited by AbundantCores; 06-25-2014 at 08:52 PM.

sttubs is offline Always learning something

Have you considered an aftermarket cooler?
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Quote Originally Posted by sttubs View Post
    Have you considered an aftermarket cooler?
    Yes, i have a Cooler Master Seidon 120V installed on it now, which has a poorly designed socket clamp, it doesn't grip it properly, there isn't enough pressure to make good contact with the CPU's HS, it was very lose and not performing well at all, i ended up putting a couple of washers under the clamps retaining thumb screws to extend the threads so that it could be tightened down properly, doing that dropped 15c off the core temperatures, its performing reasonably well now, better than i expected.

But, i can't get the CPU to hold 4.7Ghz, its stable at 4.6Ghz but needed a whole +50mv from 4.5Ghz from (1.4v to 145v)
    At 4.7Ghz i went as high as 1.5v and it still wasn't stable, thats it. i'm not going higher than 1.5v, the temps are a bit to high at those volts too.

@ 4.6Ghz

1.452v Max
    Socket Temp: 65c Max
    Core Temp: 65c Max
    Vcore-1 (CPU VRMs) reached 71c

I'm happy with 4.6Ghz