Hardline WC loop, need opinions

Debated putting this in my rig upgrade thread, but figured a dedicated post might get a little more attention.

I'm seriously debating swapping cases from my 800D to something with a bit more room for radiators, but isn't a $350 900D. I've more or less settled on the 750D as it can be had relatively inexpensively, looks nice and has plenty of space. All of the following designs are designed around the 750D, but if anyone has other suggestions for cases I'd be open to hearing them. I've considered the 540 Air as well, but would prefer a tower to more of the cube style.

Anyway, so I figure if I'm going to be rebuilding and upgrading a WC loop in a new case, I might as well go all out and hard line this thing, build custom sleeved cables for my PSU, the whole thing. I've gone through the exercise of drawing up dozens of line drawings, which I won't bother sharing except as this sweet gif google auto-awesomed for me:

I then decided to mock some stuff up in sketchup. This is where you guys come in. I've mocked up several different layouts and would like feedback on which you think are the best, or ways to improve any of them. Something to think about: loop order is basically irrelevant in terms of temps, so its not about which should perform best, but which one *looks* the best. I would also like to keep one of the hard drive cages in the 750D, but I haven't decided on that for sure. In addition, there are several different minor differences between versions 1 and 2 that are due to me learning how to use sketchup (ex, routing into the front rad). The exact hardware models for some items (GPU's, mobo) are different than my current setup, but it should be really close to what I'd actually be doing. Alternate views are from some perspective angle to give you a different feel

Option 1 (inverted rad, direct path from GPU->CPU... ignore missing pipes between GPU's)

Alternate view: http://i.imgur.com/wRh6Mb0.png
    Option 2 (Inverted rad, GPU->Rad->CPU)

Alternate view: http://i.imgur.com/XVbqY1m.png
    Option 3 (Non-inverted rad, CPU->Rad->CPU)

Alternate view: http://i.imgur.com/C59eDo0.png
    Option 4 (bottom rad, very rough mockup)

All suggestions welcome. Tweaks to the routing, complete changes, or even color schemes that might look cool (thinking of a white/gray scheme for the sleeving, maybe with a red highlight to bring the board's colors into it)
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 07-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: Hardline WC loop, need opinions

Where will you be putting the drain valve?

Quote Originally Posted by drkCrix View Post
    Where will you be putting the drain valve?
    DRAIN VALVES? Only puny weaklings use drain valves I actually don't have one on my current system because I didn't have the clearance :\

As for this build, there is a port on the bottom of the front rad that will run into a 90* elbow to a bit of flexible tube capped with a stop fitting... unless I spring for one of those stupid expensive BP on/off ports, in which case I can remove the flex tubing until needed
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 07-18-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Trust me, I do science

option 3 IMO.

also does the radiator on the side suck air into the case or is it blowing it out?

if its blowing air out id probably reverse your rear fan and use it as an inlet.

yes, front is definitely an inlet

Trust me, I do science

Leaning towards #3 myself

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Debated putting this in my rig upgrade thread, but figured a dedicated post might get a little more attention.

I'm seriously debating swapping cases from my 800D to something with a bit more room for radiators, but isn't a $350 900D. I've more or less settled on the 750D as it can be had relatively inexpensively, looks nice and has plenty of space. All of the following designs are designed around the 750D, but if anyone has other suggestions for cases I'd be open to hearing them. I've considered the 540 Air as well, but would prefer a tower to more of the cube style.

Anyway, so I figure if I'm going to be rebuilding and upgrading a WC loop in a new case, I might as well go all out and hard line this thing, build custom sleeved cables for my PSU, the whole thing. I've gone through the exercise of drawing up dozens of line drawings, which I won't bother sharing except as this sweet gif google auto-awesomed for me:

I then decided to mock some stuff up in sketchup. This is where you guys come in. I've mocked up several different layouts and would like feedback on which you think are the best, or ways to improve any of them. Something to think about: loop order is basically irrelevant in terms of temps, so its not about which should perform best, but which one *looks* the best. I would also like to keep one of the hard drive cages in the 750D, but I haven't decided on that for sure. In addition, there are several different minor differences between versions 1 and 2 that are due to me learning how to use sketchup (ex, routing into the front rad). The exact hardware models for some items (GPU's, mobo) are different than my current setup, but it should be really close to what I'd actually be doing. Alternate views are from some perspective angle to give you a different feel

Option 1 (inverted rad, direct path from GPU->CPU... ignore missing pipes between GPU's)

Alternate view: http://i.imgur.com/wRh6Mb0.png
    Option 2 (Inverted rad, GPU->Rad->CPU)

Alternate view: http://i.imgur.com/XVbqY1m.png
    Option 3 (Non-inverted rad, CPU->Rad->CPU)

Alternate view: http://i.imgur.com/C59eDo0.png
    Option 4 (bottom rad, very rough mockup)

All suggestions welcome. Tweaks to the routing, complete changes, or even color schemes that might look cool (thinking of a white/gray scheme for the sleeving, maybe with a red highlight to bring the board's colors into it)
    i would choose option 3 or 4

i say the best ones that i like is #3 and #4

I actually like 4 more than I thought I would, I might go ahead and mock that one up a little more completely. The only thing I'm worried about is the clearance with the 3.5" drive cage on the front of the case. Because the 750D model I have in sketchup has the cages arranged at the bottom, I'm basically just moving the cage manually into the position I *think* it fits. That means I'm definitely not 100% on the clearance between the GPU's, the pump, and the cage. Granted, actually doing it for real you always find something that doesn't work the way you thought it would...

Trust me, I do science

A couple new things I dreamed up. Firstly, I realized that the current pump/res combo i have is shorter than the model I was using in sketchup, so I adjusted it to see if that opened up any options. i would call this a riff on Option number 3. If I went with option 3 instead of this one, I would probably get the taller tube pictured as it looks a bit better and is more functional for filling the system

Now, I'm thinking about getting the VRM block for my board (just because the stock heatsink looks lame) so here are some other things I worked on a bit.

Last edited by Activate: AMD; 07-23-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Trust me, I do science

2 and 3 are the same picture?

I choose option #2.
    "My world is awesome but I still wish that I could edit it sometimes"

fixed

Trust me, I do science