Powerline AV and network switch or wi-fi router?

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research on powerline AV and I'm considering moving to powerline av from my current wi-fi repeater. The problem is I'm not seeing anything online that says you can plug in a 10/100 switch or something to a Powerline AV end and extend your network like that. Does anyone if this is possible? I'm aware that there are powerline av 10/100/1000 switches but it seems to be more cost effective if I use one of my spare switches I have laying around. I know the throughput will likely drop quite a bit but I can live with that. Any help would be great. Thanks

MSI P7N-SLI
    Intel Q6600 @ stock speed
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR2 800
    896MB nVidia GTX260
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    NEC-3550A BURNER
    12x BTC DVD-ROM
    1TB Seagate SATA HDD

Heat at sup3rcarrx7
    ~Folding 24/7!~

Re: Powerline AV and network switch or wi-fi router?

It is possible. The throughput using powerline AV is far from advertized though (although reliable and can often compete with wi-fi) and I suggest you get AV600 powerline adapters (just to get the fastest possible throughput).

Are you using a repeater or an access point? Im not a fan of wireless repeaters because they essentially reduce wireless throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    Are you using a repeater or an access point? Im not a fan of wireless repeaters because they essentially reduce wireless throughput.
    I do have an access point hooked up to one of the powerline adapters in the basement. I haven't checked the throughput recently as that access point is mainly for basic internet usage in the garage or something.

MSI P7N-SLI
    896MB nVidia GTX260
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    NEC-3550A BURNER
    12x BTC DVD-ROM
    1TB Seagate SATA HDD

Heat at sup3rcarrx7
    ~Folding 24/7!~

So i don't see why you wouldn't be able to plug in a switch at the other end of a powerline adapter its just a matter of are you okay with the speeds you're getting from it.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    So i don't see why you wouldn't be able to plug in a switch at the other end of a powerline adapter its just a matter of are you okay with the speeds you're getting from it.
    The wi-fi signal doesn't reach the area I have the Powerline adapter plugged into.

MSI P7N-SLI
    896MB nVidia GTX260
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    NEC-3550A BURNER
    12x BTC DVD-ROM
    1TB Seagate SATA HDD

Heat at sup3rcarrx7
    ~Folding 24/7!~

Run ethernet cables to where ever you have to. Only option in my opinion for any desk style computer ie anything that is not a laptop or phone. Wifi for phone and laptop. Unless laptop in on desk than I would still just run hard wire. Hard wire ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by knifefish View Post
    Run ethernet cables to where ever you have to. Only option in my opinion for any desk style computer ie anything that is not a laptop or phone. Wifi for phone and laptop. Unless laptop in on desk than I would still just run hard wire. Hard wire ftw.
    AV powerline is using 'hard wire' though and should work very well for most uses. And yes, naturally running ethernet cables everywhere is easily the fastest option, but certainly not the easiest and simply just not always possible.