DisplayPort to HDMI Quality

Hello,
    I was wondering if it would be worth the money to buy a DisplayPort to HDMI cable vs using just HDMI? I have a EVGA GTX 670 FTW GPU, which has the DisplayPort connection. I use my computer for gaming and multimedia purposes and want the best possible video output. From what i have been reading DisplayPort is the best. So would i get the Displayport quality or since it would be connected to my tv via HDMI connector, be capped at HDMI speeds and quality?

Re: DisplayPort to HDMI Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Alan31185 View Post
    Hello,
    I was wondering if it would be worth the money to buy a DisplayPort to HDMI cable vs using just HDMI? I have a EVGA GTX 670 FTW GPU, which has the DisplayPort connection. I use my computer for gaming and multimedia purposes and want the best possible video output. From what i have been reading DisplayPort is the best. So would i get the Displayport quality or since it would be connected to my tv via HDMI connector, be capped at HDMI speeds and quality?
    Welcome to the forums.

If your current monitor doesn't support display port...Don't bother converting to HDMI

HDMI is still acceptable on 1080p screens, it isn't like display port adds anything anyway....It's just a way of getting the data to your monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Alan31185 View Post
    Hello,
    The data signal would be exactly the same whether you're doing DP->HDMI or straight HDMI, so it really doesn't matter. The only advantage to displayport vs HDMI is at resolutions greater than 1080P, which HDMI can't do. Otherwise, they're completely signal compatible

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I figured that would be the case but I wasn't sure, I appreciate the help guys. I'll just wait until I go to 4k to use dp. Thanks again.