Question mSata versus regular SSD

I am doing a new build using an ASUS Z97 Pro MB. The MB has an M.2 socket 3. I am debating whether to use a Samsung 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW 1TB mSATA Internal SSD (amazon $472) or just a regular Samsung 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III (Amazon $440). This would be for the boot drive. Is there any reason to use one over the other (other than price)?

Re: mSata versus regular SSD

m.2 and msata are not physically compatible connectors, so you won't be able to use that mSATA drive on that board. here is a comparison of the two (m.2 on the right)

To answer your question though, there would be no reason to use mSATA over the normal 2.5" drive other than size/space constraints. m.2 though, can be PCIe based, meaning that the port is much faster than SATA3. There are very few available m.2 PCIE based SSD's at this point.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Lightbulb Re: mSata versus regular SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    m.2 and msata are not physically compatible connectors, so you won't be able to use that mSATA drive on that board. here is a comparison of the two (m.2 on the right)

To answer your question though, there would be no reason to use mSATA over the normal 2.5" drive other than size/space constraints. m.2 though, can be PCIe based, meaning that the port is much faster than SATA3. There are very few available m.2 PCIE based SSD's at this point.
    Thanks for the education. I will go with the regular SSD.

Just me thinking aloud: I'd be more comfortable with the 2.5" packaging- exposed circuitry in a drive is more for laptops AFAIC. m.2 is also an example of limited size, market and, generally, capacity.
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Skennar View Post
    Just me thinking aloud: I'd be more comfortable with the 2.5" packaging- exposed circuitry in a drive is more for laptops AFAIC. m.2 is also an example of limited size, market and, generally, capacity.
    I'm not sure what makes exposed circuitry in a drive any different than exposed motherboard circuitry, but I suppose the conclusion is the same... really no reason to use mSATA in desktops unless you've got a real size restraint (super small ITX for example). m.2 is so new we really don't know what the pricing, market, and capacity is going to be, but thats a completely different story due to the much greater speeds m.2 is capable of vs SATA. SATA Express is the more desktop oriented alternative, but in that case they managed to make a connector so hideously unwieldy I'd take the "laptop" form factor any day

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I'm not sure what makes exposed circuitry in a drive any different than exposed motherboard circuitry, but I suppose the conclusion is the same... really no reason to use mSATA in desktops unless you've got a real size restraint (super small ITX for example).
    I'm with your reason. For me, a motherboard and just about anything else on it or around it I can afford to lose. Some of my data- not so much. I've only seen it happen once to a 5.25 HD with an exposed CB underside. It was user error- and it wouldn't have happened had the drive been entirely encased. On desktops Ive seen motherboards go by the wayside from dropped tools and drinks to animal urine. When you go to some of the places I do, you deal with all sorts of things. Also I think people are much more likely to play with drives in their desktop than than their mobile systems and tempt the above. Just consider it a qualm or misgiving I have with this.
    m.2 is so new we really don't know what the pricing, market, and capacity is going to be, but thats a completely different story due to the much greater speeds m.2 is capable of vs SATA. SATA Express is the more desktop oriented alternative, but in that case they managed to make a connector so hideously unwieldy I'd take the "laptop" form factor any day
    We're basically saying the same thing about m.2. I'm thinking more of today and the storage drives available. They seem to be stuck on smaller form factors- even on desktops- and without die shrinks and layering, that tends to restrict capacity by nature. Right now I think it tops at 512GB- and I have to wonder about that. The exposed circuitry issue is still a factor and I still wonder why you would want to tempt it. Needless to say, a Samsung 850 puts to rest a few of these issues for me on DT or LT.

I'll go with you about SATAe. Wondering if SCSI based connections could have been more popular and cost effective .....
    Last edited by Skennar; 09-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

Simple answer is they are different and don't work the same. You can't plug one into the other.