2 X99 Boards Burning? =/

I just read this article over on Legit Reviews.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-x9...unknown_150008

Isolated incidents? Curious since they were different boards and different brands. Far too early to play Chicken Little, but still, will be something worth following.

My Hardware Review Blog - A place for me to share my reviews and thoughts on the hardware that I use and the games that I play.

Other hardware: Seagate 600 Series 240GB SSD OS/Boot Drive - Various WD Black & Seagate HDDs - Cooler Master HAF 932

Re: 2 X99 Boards Burning? =/

Having non-standard memory at higher than recommended voltage could lead to both cases of spontaneous rapid disassembly.

We are talking about 25-30 % higher than recommended

True.

Still, people going X99 are more than likely going to push it as hard as they can, since it's their "enthusiast" platform. It would more worrisome if more boards started failing, right now it's just those two, so you can still just label it bad luck. Well, or a just a bad overclock.

My Hardware Review Blog - A place for me to share my reviews and thoughts on the hardware that I use and the games that I play.

Other hardware: Seagate 600 Series 240GB SSD OS/Boot Drive - Various WD Black & Seagate HDDs - Cooler Master HAF 932

This can happen with any board, when you push them too far, and I'm assuming that's what happened in this case, they happened to push that ASUS X99 board a little too far, and fried it, along with the cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    This can happen with any board, when you push them too far, and I'm assuming that's what happened in this case, they happened to push that ASUS X99 board a little too far, and fried it, along with the cpu.
    Very true as well, though it happened twice, two different boards/brands. Still, like I said above, way too early to call it a problem. Could be totally isolated incidents, a complete coincidence. Even so, both ASUS and Corsair are both looking into it according to the article. If it had been on the same board twice, then I think there would be a bit more reason to worry.

Also, it pays to consider that these are not novice overclockers, and the X99 platform is going to be pushed to it's limits by most of those who buy into it. So one would expect it to handle what most non-competitive experienced overclockers are going to throw at it. Looking at the numbers they were using, and based on what others have been doing on X99, they should not have fried.

Even though it's probably nothing, I still find it interesting.